Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman: VII- Swayman's agent basically calls Cam a liar

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

How does this saga end?

• Bridge deal

Votes: 45 24.7%
  • Long term deal

Votes: 49 26.9%
  • Trade

Votes: 88 48.4%

• Total voters

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
Just think. While Bruins Nation has been getting all wound up, spitting out literally thousands of posts about the situation... Swayman is probably holed up in a sweet condo playing X Box games all day. Maybe occasionally calling his agent every few days to see what's new. He's probably much less bothered by all this than many fans are. It's just business.
He should be bothered today however. Before this I do agree, he likely assumed he'd be starting game 1.

Bodit9

Sponsor
Oct 22, 2016
Upstate NY
If this ends up with the trade Swayman will deserve the boos unfortunately.

Hopefully his educated brain sees the trouble his agent is causing otherwise it does seem to be going this way.

Bruins for 64 million or Anaheim for $72 million seems like an easy decision if winning is his goal.
If winning and culture matter while also getting paid well is the goal, the choice is Boston. If earning the max amount of money is, then Anaheim or some other mediocre franchise is the choice.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
An agent has a fiduciery responsibility to present all offers to his client, just like a real estate agent does with respect to an offer on a property.

Ethically I absolutely agree with you. But they aren’t exactly the same. In real estate there would be a written offer. In sports, unless an offer sheet, there isnt. Just verbal until actual contract is written up.
In this case there is no written‘receipt’. Just I said , you said.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
That would be nice.

At this point, however, acrimony reigns.

Which is this Lewis Gross character's MO.

Scumbag.

Straight up.

William Nylander - who, one assumes, followed his agent's advice and subsequently did not play for Toronto until 2 December of that season, the same scenario now facing the Bruins and their would-be #1 goaltender - might whisper a realistic word in Jeremy's ear.

Unless this ends quickly, which is to say within the next week or two at most, the matter will not end well for either party.

In that case, as posited previously, the Bruins should, and will, trade Swayman for best possible return "at a time of our choosing."

For the record, I hope a deal is made and have always believed Jeremy to be Boston's goaltender of the future.

Potentially, he makes the Bruins a legitimate Cup contender.

Unfortunately, at present, bridges are burning.
Good post!

Reactions: BMC

bp14

Mar 17, 2022
I’d like to believe they collectively came to a “enough is enough” mindset prior to the presser.
But Neely is a hothead. So I really dont know.
I can sympathize with their frustration, but it’s still all their fault. They put themselves in this spot and obviously failed a major calculus at some point along the way. Surely they will try to paint another picture but I’m not sure why anyone would believe it.

If they’d done their homework on this, they’d still have Ullmark and Swayman would already be in another sweater.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
If winning and culture matter while also getting paid well is the goal, the choice is Boston. If earning the max amount of money is, then Anaheim or some other mediocre franchise is the choice.
Eh, how much “winning” have the Bruins actually done though? One cup in 50+ years isn’t really winning, is it? I mean shit, their last cup was 13 years ago at this point.

Reactions: bp14

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Why do you think a player from another state gives a shit about how “loyal” fans are, the history of a team, or if the team is old or new? They’re still playing in the league and every team has its own history and fans. You’re literally bringing up crap that’s irrelevant
“is this the biggest possible check I can get and will the check clear?” are the two questions that matter to most of these athletes (and more power to them)

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I can sympathize with their frustration, but it’s still all their fault. They put themselves in this spot and obviously failed a major calculus at some point along the way. Surely they will try to paint another picture but I’m not sure why anyone would believe it.

If they’d done their homework on this, they’d still have Ullmark and Swayman would already be in another sweater.

You wont get an argument from me.
But something still smells, IMO.

Reactions: bp14

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Ethically I absolutely agree with you. But they aren’t exactly the same. In real estate there would be a written offer. In sports, unless an offer sheet, there isnt. Just verbal until actual contract is written up.
In this case there is no written‘receipt’. Just I said , you said.
That is basically how i think it’s gone up to this point.

Sweeney STATES they can offer 6mil, Gross STATES that they’re asking 9.5

Eventually Sweeney STATES to Gross that they could go as high as 8/8, Gross again says the ask is 9.5

Then Neely blurts out the 64mil thing and Gross claims they never received an offer of 64. It’s a petty game of semantics and they’re all children.

Important to include the disclaimer that I’m not privy to the call logs of either Sweeney or L. Gross, and have never been part of a sports contract negotiation, so this is all wild (and i can’t overstate the wild) speculation on my part. It’s just how I feel it in my bones this morning

Reactions: LSCII and Gee Wally

Bodit9

Sponsor
Oct 22, 2016
Upstate NY
Eh, how much “winning” have the Bruins actually done though? One cup in 50+ years isn’t really winning, is it? I mean shit, their last cup was 13 years ago at this point.
They have been consistently one of the best teams every year for the past 15 years and rarely miss the playoffs. 3 trips to the Finals in that time span. One of the best run organizations in the league.

• Haha
Reactions: BBruins and LSCII

Ned Bouhalassa

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2008
Montreal
My gut says it’s over. This is too much of a distraction and will affect team chemistry to start the season. I like Sway, but I LOVE the Bruins, and if he’s too dumb to realize that it’s not just about money, too bad for him, we’ll survive and make the playoffs. And maybe pick up a few great pieces in a trade and with the extra cap space.

Reactions: BMC and ranold26

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
Coming from someone who’s doubled their post count in this thread twisting themselves into a pretzel defending their favorite player.
To me it’s simple, the Bruins front office hasn’t operated in the manner you’re suggesting. From McAvoy to Pastrnak etc there are no examples of fake offers etc. Now Gross on the other hand has a history of questionable negotiations like this one. Gaudreau to Nylander.. it’s his MO. Occams razor.

Neely mentioned the 64m out of frustration (whether we agree that was a wise move or not). Gross & Swayman had to be aware of the fanbase blow back. IMO Gross was holding firm at 10m-ish and was expecting Mr. Harvard to open the checkbook eventually. Sweeney has always subscribed to “loose lips sink ships” & Gross knows this. What Gross wasn’t expecting was Neely putting them on blast during media day. The hockey world knows 64m was the offer. Gross looking for 80m+. If 64m was “never offered” well it IS now. So I’d expect Swayman to sign any day now.
Was the 64 mil true? Mentioning it out of frustration is amateur hour. Clown shoes. I said Gross is a drama queen as well if they were offered 60mil and making it seem like a crime vs humanity. I know it's rare thinking around here but the Bruins can be idiots at times, along with the agent. Sweeney I'm sure is livid.

If Gross wants 80 and the Bruins don't want to do it deal him. No problems with them doing that even if I believe it's short sighted. Probably would have been helpful for them to know this before dealing Ullmark even though Sweeney is foolishly telling people these two things are not related.

Swayman is not signing 8 per if that's not what he wants. He will more than likely try to be dealt IMO.

Reactions: LSCII

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
They have been consistently one of the best teams every year for the past 15 years and rarely miss the playoffs. 3 trips to the Finals in that time span. One of the best run organizations in the league.
Regular season. Not at winning cups though. And isn’t it about cups?

Bodit9

Sponsor
Oct 22, 2016
Upstate NY
Regular season. Not at winning cups though. And isn’t it about cups?
They consistently give themselves a chance nearly every year to compete for a Cup. That is really all you can ask for in an organization. There are plenty of organizations that are complete dumpster fires.

Jorah Marshmont

Long may he reign
May 10, 2012
I’m sick of the soap opera this organization has become the last few years.

Cassidy saga
Debrusk saga
Mitchell Miller saga
Lucic situation
Now Swayman drama

I’m tired, boss.

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
Perfect storm

Both Swayman & Gross suffered L’s to Bruins in the Krug & Swayman arbitration. There is animosity I’m sure and human emotion of revenge

The $64 per Gross wasn’t offered so he can say today 8:64 is accepted or not

I’m close to looking at who we can get from Ducks with Gibson lol
Isn't Gibson out long term?

Swayman is gone so I hope we can get something out of this

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I still want Swayman here long term, but I must admit that it would be insane if one of the better goalies in the NHL, at age 25 went a full season without a contract. I’m here for it. Like i said before let’s get weird.

There’s no reason to make a trade unless the offer is stupid in favor of Boston. If the gap is that bad and a deal can’t be reached, then he doesn’t play and we all get to do this again in a year. I, for one, could use a few more enemies

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
They consistently give themselves a chance nearly every year to compete for a Cup. That is really all you can ask for in an organization. There are plenty of organizations that are complete dumpster fires.
Do they though? Making the playoffs isn’t really a chance when you don’t get out of the first round most years. The roster has had the same fatal flaw for years. It’s a one line team with a whole lot of bottom 6 depth that they slot up above the players skill set. That’s still the case this year.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Was the 64 mil true? Mentioning it out of frustration is amateur hour. Clown shoes. I said Gross is a drama queen as well if they were offered 60mil and making it seem like a crime vs humanity. I know it's rare thinking around here but the Bruins can be idiots at times, along with the agent. Sweeney I'm sure is livid.

If Gross wants 80 and the Bruins don't want to do it deal him. No problems with them doing that even if I believe it's short sighted. Probably would have been helpful for them to know this before dealing Ullmark even though Sweeney is foolishly telling people these two things are not related.

Swayman is not signing 8 per if that's not what he wants. He will more than likely try to be dealt IMO.
and if he wants to be dealt, the B`s are under no obligation to do so with any urgency

I feel there were quite a few times over the summer that I read from Sway he was pretty adamant he was gonna sign in Boston, loves the city etc..also heard from Sweeney I believe or Cam in the summer say they were confident things will get done

Check out the history of his agent Gross, leads me to believe HE is the problem and full of shit. My personal opinion, the ONLY way Sway plays another game in a Bruins uniform is if he cans that agent and gets another but don`t get the sense that will happen

Reactions: BMC and Bodit9

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Prediction: Ottawa is out of the playoff race by mid January, Ullmark sees Swayman not signed & deteriorating relationship w team. Ullmark informs Ottawa he has no interest in resigning there. Ullmark forces a trade back to Boston & resign here in the offseason 3 years/ 5.5m per
...Ullmark returning causes Swayman to fire Gross and finally ink a deal with Sweeney for hug Returns next season.

All is right again with the world.

Reactions: BMC

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad