Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman: VII- Management Speaks

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

How does this saga end?

• Bridge deal

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Long term deal

Votes: 39 29.1%
  • Trade

Votes: 61 45.5%

• Total voters

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
And Neely doesn’t have a job to lose? The bruins front office don’t have a reputation to lose?

Players would not want to sign/resign here if that’s how they conduct business.

Sorry but I think it’s more plausible either the agent is flat out lying or stretching the truth to fit his narrative/make his nut.

Fandom is a hell of a drug.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
We do know what their RFA contracts were though. Adjust those for the rising cap and it looks like 2-5 years at well under 7/per

They are all still on bridge contracts though. None have signed their long-term prime year mega deal taking them well into their 30s that Swayman is shooting for.

Shesterkin finished his ELC and signed a 4-year bridge.

Oettinger finished his ELC and signed a 3-year bridge.

If even one of them had signed their next contract, you'd at least have one true comparable contract for Swayman.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
It’s a distinction without a difference, imo. Regardless, it’s now $8m or bust.

Edit: also, regardless, if he wants/wanted $9.5m, whether that constitutes “setting” or “not ruining” is moot. $9.5 is $9.5, whether that’s “setting” or “not ruining” is beside the point as it’s still $9.5m.
There’s a massive difference between not ruining and setting the market.

Just like there’s a massive difference between 8 and 9.5 million. But, he never said numbers, he just said not ruin. That’s what I know for certain.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Is that what was said? I thought it was $64 million contract wasn't accepted.

Gross claims they never even received a $64m offer to reject. If he’s lying then the bruins should absolutely report him and cause him to lose his license to be an agent.

If there was a deal there is some form of written communication about it. It can easily be proven that a contract was given.

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
Is that what was said? I thought it was $64 million contract wasn't accepted.
Neely made it sound like there was an open contract totalling 64 million that Sway wasn't signing. Gross says such contract was news to them and never heard that number BEFORE the press conference. Maybe they offered it after.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
If you’ve read my post, I’m of the very real opinion Sway may not even know what was offered by the Bruins.

Could be that the first time he’s heard 64 mil come from the bruins camp was from Neely directly.
What makes you have this opinion? I mean sure, anything could happen, but why is this your most likely scenario?

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Just watched the press conference again. Here's what is odd to me. After Neely said he has 64 million reasons to be playing, not a single reporter used that as an opportunity to ask "so you've offered Swayman a $64 million contract?"

I mean the assumption is that the Bruins offered him that, but it was never actually said. What if (and maybe I'm giving Neely to much credit) that was Neely uping their current offer on their 8yr deal? It's a bold move, but now Cam has a good amount of support from the fanbase and the ball is in Gross's court. And just how it's playing out, who are fans going to believe? A former Bruins legend or some lawyer?

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Then someone is lying and needs to lose their job.

Absolutely. If Gross is lying it should be extremely easy to prove for the bruins as there would certainly be some form of written communication or recorded verbal communication. Then he should lose his license.

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
Just watched the press conference again. Here's what is odd to me. After Neely said he has 64 million reasons to be playing, not a single reporter used that as an opportunity to ask "so you've offered Swayman a $64 million contract?"

I mean the assumption is that the Bruins offered him that, but it was never actually said. What if (and maybe I'm giving Neely to much credit) that was Neely uping their current offer on their 8yr deal? It's a bold move, but now Cam has a good amount of support from the fanbase and the ball is in Gross's court. And just how it's playing out, who are fans going to believe? A former Bruins legend or some lawyer?
Gross said it was the first time he heard it. Said no such offer BEFORE the press conference

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Wait now i am confused. You say true comparables and name 4 goalies?????? Why not add the bruins positional players to that list???? Or is it that true comps are goalie to goalie?????

Very interesting after 5 hours of telling me thats not how comps works and i am wrong to go and list exactly how i said comps work.

After this flip flop i am done with you

Next

Well one of the 4 goalies was Swayman himself. My argument was never about goalie comps. My point was that goalie comps aren't the only factor here in this overall negotiation. No one here is flip-flopping anything. You didn't even answer my direct question. I guess that is how you negotiate in your business career, ignoring shit you don't want to hear. You must be a heck of a negotiator.

I'm done with you too. &^%$ off somewhere. Don't worry, you'll never see me post on this board again after today.
What makes you think there is any possibility of them not spending to the cap? What is telling you they wont? Throwing that out there is nuts.

In this forum you are right. Baseless speculation only serves to upset the angry mob that has taken over this place.

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
Absolutely. If Gross is lying it should be extremely easy to prove for the bruins as there would certainly be some form of written communication or recorded verbal communication. Then he should lose his license.
If Neely was lying wouldn't it be just as easy for Gross to show evidence? Could he not show the last contract offer sent to him or even the 3 week gap of no calls from the Bruins front office that he leaked to Spittin Chiclets?

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
Well one of the 4 goalies was Swayman himself. My argument was never about goalie comps. My point was that goalie comps aren't the only factor here in this overall negotiation. No one here is flip-flopping anything. You didn't even answer my direct question. I guess that is how you negotiate in your business career, ignoring shit you don't want to hear. You must be a heck of a negotiator.

I'm done with you too. &^%$ off somewhere. Don't worry, you'll never see me post on this board again after today.

In this forum you are right. Baseless speculation only serves to upset the angry mob that has taken over this place.
Only three hours until today is over.

How nice tomorrow will be

Bye

Reactions: BTO and Bodit9

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
We know nothing about specific contract talks, but we should all know business negotiations can be ruthless (as we've seen today now from both sides), there are no rules in this, and if all this negotiation was a battle of goalie comparables like two posters going at each other on HF Boards, why has this taken so long to resolve? I mean seriously, there are only 60-odd goalies in the league and only I'd say 10-15 are realistic comparables. How long does it take for both sides to exhaust their list of comparables if all they can point to are goaltenders? They could of hashed this out in a week if that was the case.

Bottom line is Sweeney sent a message to the Swayman camp back in July when he decided to prioritize the Lindholm and Zadorov contracts and leaving what was left over for Swayman. The message was sent, we value these players from outside the organization more than you. That will ultimately prove to be a major mistake and flies in the face of pro sports management 101. Take care of your stars and the rest will fall into place. Prioritize mid-tier players over your stars and this will be the sort of circus you can expect. Right out of the Harry Sinden/Mike O'Connell playbook.

It's like when in the fall of 2020, they extended Kevan Miller and Chara was still unsigned. We knew right away that was odd, that they took care of Miller before Chara. And that is exactly how it played out.

The hockey world is laughing at the Bruins right now because it's clear as day now how this all ends. Some other organization will get themselves arguably the best young goalie on the planet for a nickel and two quarters.

Imagine the egg on Sweeney's face in April when he trades Swayman within the Eastern conference and both Swayman and Ullmark are leading their teams into the playoffs while the Bruins are going golfing.
Or…. The front office has been negotiating with Gross all along, and July 1st came along and they filled 2 major needs. Are you suggesting Sweeney should have sat quietly on July 1st because Swayman hadn’t yet signed??

Reactions: Bodit9

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario

Regardless of likelihood an interesting thought

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
8x8mil is a pretty common sense place for negotiations to end up considering what other high end goalies have signed for recently, I'm just not sure that i can believe that number has never been brought up before today considering how long the two sides have been talking. Gross being full of shit feels more believable then that to me.

Regardless, this current roster is not doing shit come spring without elite goaltending, Better hope Goalie Bob does wonders on Korpi if things with Sway are approaching irreparable.

Clode

Aug 2, 2012
Derry, NH
What are the odds that the "64million reasons" comment was them literally making the offer right then and there in front of everyone and thats why Gross is claiming to not have heard this before? Normally I'd say its far out of the realm of possibility but with how ugly and bizarre this fiasco has become nothing would surprise me at this point...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad