Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman: VII- Management Speaks

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

How does this saga end?

• Bridge deal

Votes: 36 25.7%
  • Long term deal

Votes: 39 27.9%
  • Trade

Votes: 65 46.4%

• Total voters

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
It's a negotiation, not a game of comparable contract one-upmanship.

You mean to tell me Lewis Gross can't challenge Don Sweeney and ask him why he doesn't value his client Swayman as much as he does Lindholm based on the offers made? What does Don Sweeney say when Gross asks him why he is willing to pay Lindholm 7.75 over 7 at age 29 coming off two down seasons but only willing to pay 25-year old Swayman 8 x 8 after a strong season?

Sweeney says to Gross Swayman is still unproven. Gross then counters with you didn't have a problem with that when it came to McAvoy's deal. See how that works?

What is Sweeney's reaction to Gross bringing up contracts offered and signed by Sweeney himself to position players? Does he kick him out of the room? Does he hang up the phone? Does he end the conference call?

You make it sound like there are rules to these negotiations and some topics like other contracts signed by the GM are out-of-bounds for the negotiation because those are skaters and not goaltenders. This isn't arbitration in front of some judge here. There are no rules as to what an agent and player can try to use to win their argument or frame their position.

Honestly if anyone is an agent and they aren't trying to drum up every argument in the book to try and get the best deal for their client they are doing it wrong. In this case, if I'm 25-year old Swayman I have a legitimate beef making a mere 1.75 million more than 29-year old Elias Lindholm over the next 7 years. That's an argument I think I can win so yes, I'll make that comparison. Once again, there are no rules to this.

Yeah, if I'm an agent in a hardball negotiation, you can be damn sure I'm bringing up contracts previously signed by my opposing GM. I don't think that is off-limits. Especially when those contracts are comparable in value to what your offering my client and the ink on those contracts isn't even dry yet.

If this was as simple as two parties negotiating off ONLY comparable goalie contracts, this issue is already resolved months ago, one way or the other.

We have quotes from Swayman about being mindful of future goaltending contracts and not being happy with his compariables during arbitration. . We have quotes from management about the comps they feel Swayman compares with in his peer group.Safe to say, they're using goaltending contracts to hash this out. I don't think I've ever heard of a goaltender trying to use a centerman's contract as a negotiate point but that doesn't mean it hasn't happened. Just flies in the face of everything we know about contract talks.

Reactions: Scotto74 and Bodit9

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)
It’s not.

Not wanting to ruin the goalie market and wanting to reset the goalie market are two entirely different things
What’s the difference between setting the market and not ruining it if the # is $9.5m? You can call it a giraffe if you want but $9.5m is still $9.5m. Whether that constitutes setting or not ruining is beside the point.

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
Ok heres what scares me now:

Neely, having just conceded and approved going to 8, drops that out of frustration in the conference and Sway’s camp truly hasn’t heard that number yet

That, if true, is Cam directly hurting Swayman out of emotion - which we know he has lots of

I’m currently higher than the moon but someone walk me back off this branch

Guelph Bruin

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2015
It would be awesome business evil if the Brass in fact didn't offer $64 M to Sway's agent Gross but knew publicly saying it might get him fired and Sway signed ... win win.....Yellowstone pales in comparison to this drama ....although there's Beth....they do have that

Reactions: SwayHeyKid

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
One thing is for sure, Swayman is learning or is about to learn a lot about negotiating business deals because this one has it all.

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
I would undestand Swayman holding out for 6 but holding out for 8 (top five goaltending money) just doesn't make any logical sense to me.

It's a very fair offer. Borderline generous all things considered.

My take is his agent is lying. I don't see any reason why Neely would.

nORRis8

The NHL, the stupidest League ever.
Sep 16, 2015
RedDeer, Alberta
I think Swayman wants a deal done. I have a feeling, based on this save my ass statement, is that Gross never told him about the offer
I've never seen a picture of Gross before.
Is this him?
Screenshot_20240930-174448-909.png

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
Put even simpler guys, imagine Sweeney pushing this into holdout territory where 8x8 wasn't on the table. It's dumb.

The other end of the lie makes WAY more sense.

Reactions: Bodit9

badbrewin

Sponsor
Jan 13, 2007
Montreal
Let's see how long until the B's show they're not effing around, giving Tyler Johnson a $1M deal and leaving them with $6.8M in cap space. Many ways to draft a potential deal, but you get my drift.

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
It would be awesome business evil if the Brass in fact didn't offer $64 M to Sway's agent Gross but knew publicly saying it might get him fired and Sway signed ... win win.....Yellowstone pales in comparison to this drama ....although there's Beth....they do have that

But why not just OFFER 8x8? The risk reward profile in this theory is terrible

Reactions: Bodit9

bossfan

Apr 5, 2008
If Neely threw out this 64 million figure without Sweeney and Jacobs being in the know about it and having talked about it already then he gets fired, doesn't he?

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
Does an offer makes a sound if the agent and player aren't around to hear it?

If Neely threw out this 64 million figure without Sweeney and Jacobs being in the know about it and having talked about it already then he gets fired, doesn't he?
one can only hope

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
If this was the first that Gross has heard $64 million, does that mean he and Swayman would accept it tonight?
How is it structured as far as actual dollars per year?
Is their lockout protection?
Is their trade protection? Specifically what kind and how long?

The aav and years are the most important thing, but even agreeing on those would make one want to see all of the other things on paper and not just say "Sure we'll accept that anyway you feel like structuring it!!"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad