Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman: VII - As featured in Episode 3 of Amazon's "FACEOFF: Inside the NHL

How does this saga end?

• Bridge deal

Votes: 58 20.6%
  • Long term deal

Votes: 77 27.4%
  • Trade

Votes: 146 52.0%

• Total voters

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
One could make the argument that we're beating a dead horse here.

So be it. Discuss, if you so choose. We'll keep all the Swayman talk contained to this thread.

If you have nothing meaningful to contribute to the conversation, move along.

We will not have this devolve into thread hijacking and flaming of other posters.

@Gee Wally

We have numerous deletions and more in here. We know tension and emotions are high.
But you folks must simply stop taking personal shots at each. Stay to topic.

If not we will be left with no choice other than adding thread bans.

Last edited:

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK
It doesn’t though. Dom did the work a few days ago. The proration of his deal goes up faster than the cap space banked (and you do need to account for a goalie making $775k replacing Swayman as well)
I explained my cap space calculation above. They have both Patera and Bussi on the roster at 775k/each right now. If they dump either one of them to Providence, they would have $7,861,667 + $775,000 = $8,636,667 in cap space to start the season, according to Puckpedia.

If you want to follow's Dom's cap hit sheet he provided earlier, and use Oct 30 as the date, it has Swayman at just over $9M cap hit on Oct 30 (it's assuming he's signing a 8yr $8M salary in each year deal. No signing bonuses). Bruins would have $8,636,667 x (192/166) = $9,989,398 in accrued cap space on that date. It all works out, as long as they maintain/average that amount of cap space.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Assume the season starts Oct 7 with 192 days remaining.
On Dec 1st, 55 days have passed (137 days remaining).
If the Bruins keep an average daily cap space of exactly $8,000,000 over those 55 days, they would have an accrued cap space amount of $8,000,000 x (192/137) = $11,211,679 on Dec 1st.

Swayman's cap hit on Dec 1 if he signs at 8 X 8 is $10,810,219 for year one and $7,713,542 for remaining years.

You are already behind the eight ball because what you don't find on puckpedia or capwages is that as of right now, the Bruins can't send Alec Regula through waivers and to the AHL because he is injured. That could change by 2 pm tomorrow,

Are they going to waive Bussi? Or are they going to carry three goalies to start? Were they planning on sending Poitras down? Can't, he is also injured.

Regula already puts them under $8 million and that is without a 13th forward.

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK
Swayman's cap hit on Dec 1 if he signs at 8 X 8 is $10,810,219 for year one and $7,713,542 for remaining years.

You are already behind the eight ball because what you don't find on puckpedia or capwages is that as of right now, the Bruins can't send Alec Regula through waivers and to the AHL because he is injured. That could change by 2 pm tomorrow,

Are they going to waive Bussi? Or are they going to carry three goalies to start? Were they planning on sending Poitras down? Can't, he is also injured.

Regula already puts them under $8 million and that is without a 13th forward.
Yep, my $8M cap space figure was only a simple assumption to keep my example straight forward to follow. Lots of things can change or mess that up for the Bruins, as you're mentioning.

If they're under $8M right now and can't get over by Monday, then they can't even sign Swayman to the 8 x $8M even if he wanted to. That'd be funny if that's what's holding it up right now.

Last edited:

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
I just explained why I think those terms have very different connotations, so no need to addresses that again.

But am I crazy or has he only brought up arbitration maybe four times total? Genuinely asking, because I can remember three for sure but have a vague memory of a fourth, yet I am very cognizant I might have missed some or simple don't remember others.

Four is still kind of a lot considering this is rarely a thing players talk about. (Though that may be because most teams do everything they can to avoid taking good players to arbitration so there are fewer opportunities to upset them.) I just don't care because it clearly motivated him to play well on the ice, which I do care about.

I don't fault anyone for being annoyed by it, I honestly don't. But there are a lot of people in here who are way way way more than "annoyed." There's real vitriol, some of which I find unhinged.
Disagreeing is vitriol? Unhinged?

Overreaction 101

• Haha
Reactions: Pia8988

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
Disagreeing is vitriol? Unhinged?

Overreaction 101
Calling the guy names for not signing a deal they feel is fair is disagreeing? That is vitriol. And anyone calling a person a baby or whatnot on a message board or not signing a contract he doesnt feel worth his value is unhinged

Clueless 101

I’m pretty sure the simple disagreement isn’t what Mike is referring to.
He obviously isn't but the handful of intentionally obtuse posters are gonna obtuse.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
I'm starting to wonder if this cap space isn't better spent on a forward. We can take a high priced player back in trade, either directly or in there way deal. Is there a high priced, high impact forward under 30 that might be available?
No one is going to trade a high impact forward at the start of the season. Teams worked all offseason to set their roster, and they aren't going to blow it up just because Swayman could potentially be available.

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
No one is going to trade a high impact forward at the start of the season. Teams worked all offseason to set their roster, and they aren't going to blow it up just because Swayman could potentially be available.
100%. Bruins aren't going to punt their season and deal him for picks/prospects which is prob what they get at this point so close to the season.

Reactions: KillerMillerTime

Guelph Bruin

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2015
100%. Bruins aren't going to punt their season and deal him for picks/prospects which is prob what they get at this point so close to the season.
you can probably pluck some unwanted contracts like Huberdeau or Kadri from rebuilding teams with some retention but yeah it's mostly slim pickings

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
The agent knows he’s got 64 M so he’s trying to either structure it around potential lockout, bonus, or squeeze an extra 2-4 M. No way he lets this go past 5 pm Monday and risk Swayman dumping him.

Funniest thing I read in all this was how can I be on the side of the team owned by a billionaire like Swayman is living like Charlie from Willy Wonka pre golden ticket

Reactions: UConn126

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
I mean at this point you gotta believe there’s nothing new left for us to cover here, right?

One of you stats nerds peel yourselves away from your transition lenses and dress shirts buttoned to the top and prove this with data cause I gotta tell you the dead horse passes the eye test

• Haha
Reactions: Pia8988

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
I'm starting to wonder if this cap space isn't better spent on a forward. We can take a high priced player back in trade, either directly or in there way deal. Is there a high priced, high impact forward under 30 that might be available?
Zegras could probably be had from Anaheim, but idk how high impact he'd be.

Huberdeau is north of 30 but could have impact playing with Pasta. Definitely available.

Other than that I don't know too many top 6 guys that are potentially available this early in the year.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Pillar............LOL We'll see if he even plays. God the pitchforks will come out when he has a bad game........This "IS" Boston, fair or not. If he is this thin skinned, the media will eat him alive.

And sports contract negotiations ARE usually somewhat contentious, this one just happened to be played out in the media. It's his crying about the arbitration that has me shaking my head. If he is so tough and mature, he should understand what the process is about. His agent had a critical fail by not telling what to expect and why. This guy just held his hand and said we going to be really rich.
All arbitration hearings go that way. It's the point, a contract couldn't be decided 1 on 1 so a 3rd party, who is not a fan of either needs each sides argument. Forgive my man-splaining, but Swayman should have known what was coming. He's a child in a mans body.
Mansplaining? Ok snowflake.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad