Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman: VII - As featured in Episode 3 of Amazon's "FACEOFF: Inside the NHL

How does this saga end?

• Bridge deal

Votes: 58 20.8%
  • Long term deal

Votes: 77 27.6%
  • Trade

Votes: 144 51.6%

• Total voters

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
One could make the argument that we're beating a dead horse here.

So be it. Discuss, if you so choose. We'll keep all the Swayman talk contained to this thread.

If you have nothing meaningful to contribute to the conversation, move along.

We will not have this devolve into thread hijacking and flaming of other posters.

@Gee Wally

We have numerous deletions and more in here. We know tension and emotions are high.
But you folks must simply stop taking personal shots at each. Stay to topic.

If not we will be left with no choice other than adding thread bans.

Last edited:

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
So if he signs for 8/64, then wouldn't the AAV just be $8m the first year?

I'm not following how/why the cap hit goes up every day his pay goes down.
I've explained it in this thread.

Not sure I can explain it any better. @MarchysNoseKnows can try. His English is better than mine.

I thought if he signed for $8m per year, and didn't start playing until 1/4 of the season was gone, he only actually gets paid $6m this year. So even if the cap hit is retroactive to the first day of camp, shouldn't it just be an $8m hit?

Like, how is that an accurate measure of expenses if you pay him less in actual dollars but are charged more than AAV against the cap?

OR, are people saying that if Swayman wants $8m this year and doesn't sign until 1/4 of the season is gone, then he will really be signing for $10m in year 1 so he gets his full $8m.
It's not a one year deal. It's the value of the contract spread over the term. Because it's not a full season the cap is then higher in the first year, which lowers the remaining years

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
Dammit, I thought I had it figured out. All I can come up with is that the contracts are valued at AAV regardless of actual money paid each year. So while Swayman is getting paid only for playing part of a season, the contract itself is still valued at 8 AAV and thus gets prorated.

View attachment 912734
Right, but $8 is the average annual value so how can you have a cap hit that's more than the average annual value? Especially when the player is actually getting less than annual value.

I've explained it in this thread.
I'll try to find that post.

Edit: Search doesn't work. I can see a list of your posts, but if I click on any of them, to see if that's the post where you describe it, I'm just taken to page 1, post 1 of this thread.

If anyone knows where this was explained, a link would be much appreciated.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Right, but $8 is the average annual value so how can you have a cap hit that's more than the average annual value? Especially when the player is actually getting less than annual value.
In this case, the contract is not less than AAV because although the cap hit prorated is higher in the first year due to the proration, it is reduced in subsequents years so that it balances out. I guess it is written that way to reduce contract holdouts- something negotiated in the CBA giving teams and players incentive to get deals done prior to season start.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
If he performs as well as Saros and Sorokin years 1-3 he would be paid at market value, not underpaid.
Every contract is a risk. Right now, Swayman is asking the Bruins to share more of that than he is willing to take on himself. *If* he performs as well as Saros and Sorokin years 1-3, the Bruins get decent value and if he is better, then and after, they get very good value. But what *if* he underperforms those guys? What if years 4-8 he declines (and we've all seen it happen)? The higher the contract the worse it is if he is not going to be the franchise goalie that he has given hints of becoming. He wants to be paid like a franchise guy without being that, and that is a lot of risk for the Bruins to take on.

Reactions: Grumpy Grizz

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
In this case, the contract is not less than AAV because although the cap hit prorated is higher in the first year due to the proration, it is reduced in subsequents years so that it balances out. I guess it is written that way to reduce contract holdouts- something negotiated in the CBA giving teams and players incentive to get deals done prior to season start.

I just found something on Twitter that explained the how...

So for every day Swayman sits out, he loses 1/192nd of his paycheck. I knew that much.

But for some reason unknown to me, the Bruins are penalized 6x that number against the cap. So if Swayman signs for $8m after sitting out 1 day, he loses $6k but the Bruins are charged with an extra $36k against the cap for this season.

Makes no sense to me but I guess it's just a penalty? A concession that was negotiated in the CBA to force a resolution. I understand that the Bruins get that fake money back by lowering the AAV over the remainder of the contract, just seems weird they would make it so punitive. I mean, by those numbers if he holds out for more than 3 weeks the Bruins won't be able to afford him at all, which punishes the player as much as the team.

Last edited:

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
I love the laughing emoji here. Any time you make good point you get that because it;s 100% spot on.
Its amazing that Swayman had IMO a good, phenomenal and then good series with ok (2022) to good Boston teams (2024). He won one game against Carolina without McAvoy AND Lindholm. Then another without Lindholm. People make excuses for
Vasi in TB, they need to see the D in front of Swayman on 2 of those wins in 2022.
Then in 2024 he was the reason they beat Toronto and took the SC Champs to 6 with
no Bergeron, McAvoy not playing well and Pastrnak not producing.

Makes so much sense to beat up Swayman, not.

Reactions: drkfluff

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

So for every day Swayman sits out, he loses 1/192nd of his paycheck. I knew that much.

But for some reason unknown to me, the Bruins are penalized 6x that number against the cap. So if Swayman signs for $8m after sitting out 1 day, he loses $6k but the Bruins are charged with an extra $36k against the cap for this season.

Makes no sense to me but I guess it's just a penalty? A concession that was negotiated in the CBA. I understand that they get that fake money back by lowering the AAV over the remainder of the contract, just seems weird they would make it so punitive. I get they're trying to force a deal, but by those numbers if he holds out for more than 3 weeks the Bruins won't be able to afford him at all.

I wouldn't put it past the league to negotiate that in as their "brand" or product is not served by contract holdouts, and the PA fas well since it seems to benefit the players by nudging the clubs toward agreement.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
So really, the drop dead date isn't December 1st. I mean, at the point, even if Swayman signs for $8m per year the cap hit would be over $10m to the Bruins. They couldn't do that even with a 20 man roster.

The cap hit on November 1st would be $9m and even that leaves them no money for the cap, but they could do it with a skeleton crew roster.

And that's assuming Swayman signs for $8m, which he won't.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
So really, the drop dead date isn't December 1st. I mean, at the point, even if Swayman signs for $8m per year the cap hit would be over $10m to the Bruins. They couldn't do that even with a 20 man roster.

The cap hit on November 1st would be $9m and even that leaves them no money for the cap, but they could do it with a skeleton crew roster.

My guess is the Bruins will not push it even to November 1 bceause that puts them in a terrible spot. Now I am thinking of that rumor we heard that the internal club deadline was opening night, and that might not be far off the truth.

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK

Makes no sense to me but I guess it's just a penalty? A concession that was negotiated in the CBA to force a resolution. I understand that the Bruins get that fake money back by lowering the AAV over the remainder of the contract, just seems weird they would make it so punitive. I mean, by those numbers if he holds out for more than 3 weeks the Bruins won't be able to afford him at all, which punishes the player as much as the team.
I don't think it should be looked at as a penalty to the Bruins. They are accruing cap space as the season goes along too, based on their average daily cap space. For the same reason that holding an average of $500k in cap space through the year until the the 3/4 mark of the season to bring in a ~$2M cap hit player, the Bruins are also accruing extra cap space with ~$8.6M unused each day. If the Bruins keep $8.6M in average daily cap space until Dec 1, they'd be able to take on just over $12M in a player cap hit on that date.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
My guess is the Bruins will not push it even to November 1 bceause that puts them in a terrible spot. Now I am thinking of that rumor we heard that the internal club deadline was opening night, and that might not be far off the truth.
Monday at 5 pm

50 hours and ticking

If he’s not signed I believe he’s played his last game as a Bruins

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
If he performs as well as Saros and Sorokin years 1-3 he would be paid at market value, not underpaid.

Its amazing that Swayman had IMO a good, phenomenal and then good series with ok (2022) to good Boston teams (2024). He won one game against Carolina without McAvoy AND Lindholm. Then another without Lindholm. People make excuses for
Vasi in TB, they need to see the D in front of Swayman on 2 of those wins in 2022.
Then in 2024 he was the reason they beat Toronto and took the SC Champs to 6 with
no Bergeron, McAvoy not playing well and Pastrnak not producing.

Makes so much sense to beat up Swayman, not.
Now if he did all that after playing 50 RS games, then he'd be worth his price, but he didn't.

I believe in Swayman, I don't believe in paying him on futures. Paying him 7-7.5M/year still a ~125% raise. If he wants 8 years, then he gets less. That's how it has always worked with long term contracts for youngin' on there (basically) bridge deal. The arbitration doesn't count as a bridge deal. NIME.
That's what, once again 7.5x4 30M, then go to UFA. If he's top 3, then the B's will give up the farm for him if he isn't carrying this foolish vendetta around and hell bent on leaving.
He'd be 29YO at FA. Be rich, not richest, prove to the world you're the best.

• Haha
Reactions: DKH and drkfluff

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
2023-24
David Riddich
.921 2.15 3 shutouts
Just signed for 1 mil

Jeremy Swayman
.916 2.33 3 shutouts
Apparently changed his ask to just under 9mil
So do a one for one deal. Boston would prob have to add. An Ullmark Ritch combo would have been a nice regular season tandem. Should use Rittich as a comp in arbitration.

Quite the collection of people that seem to know what his asks are since this all began
Bruins leaking info everywhere.

I think Dom has explained this a few times already

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
I don't think it should be looked at as a penalty to the Bruins. They are accruing cap space as the season goes along too, based on their average daily cap space. For the same reason that holding an average of $500k in cap space through the year until the the 3/4 mark of the season to bring in a ~$2M cap hit player, the Bruins are also accruing extra cap space with ~$8.6M unused each day. If the Bruins keep $8.6M in average daily cap space until Dec 1, they'd be able to take on just over $12M in a player cap hit on that date.

But isn't the adjusted cap hit more than they accrue?

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
So if it's true the Bruins went to 8 and Swayman is at 8.7-8.8 the Bruins should just pay the loudmouth president tax, go to 8.5 and get it done by Monday afternoon.

This is finally ending peeps, shame on both if it doesn't happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad