Full clip of McDavid's expletive-filled rant at Oilers teammates drops

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
I think McD is just an awkward and weird person (ie: weird expressions when taking photos with fans, childish lockerroom rant and now ketchup...), it's probably because he has dedicated his whole life to being a hockey perfectionist (spending abnormal amounts of time in the arena) that he has no connection to the real world and isn't "normal"...very Micheal Jackson-like, by all accounts Gretzky seemed much more personable and normal probably because of his dad Walter.
I think every accusation is an admission.

Imagine trying to psychoanalyze a professional athlete from your basement. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Reactions: Macheteops

CantHaveTkachev

Accruing Cap Space
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
It didnt work since they didnt win a cup. He still cried like a baby at the end and didnt accept his award

View attachment 912710
McDavid lives in the heads of Nucks fans lol...I get it though, he owns your team when it counts

The problem is McDavid seriously lacks command presence. His yelling comes across very temper tantrum-ish.

Now if that was someone like Chara the entire room would be standing at attention.
I mean, they came back 0-3 and forced a Game 7
Chara was on the team that blew a 3-0 series lead and lose

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
The problem is McDavid seriously lacks command presence. His yelling comes across very temper tantrum-ish.

Now if that was someone like Chara the entire room would be standing at attention.
Yea, with a true leader like Chara the Oilers may have listened and win game 4....Maybe even game 5...

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
McDavid lives in the heads of Nucks fans lol...I get it though, he owns your team when it counts

Owns my team? Canucks swept the oilers in regular season and lost by 1 goal in game 7 without Demko and Boeser in game 7. If anything, Oilers got lucky since it was Canucks owning Oilers all season last year. Even in last game of preseason the Canucks still spanked oilers 4-1 with Silovs in net and Oilers playing all their regulars. Hughes has more points and goals against Oilers compared to any other team and Boeser just eats skinner for breakfast.

• Haha
Reactions: CantHaveTkachev

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
I don't understand the posters trying to shit on him for that ? He showed passion and that he cares and actually wants to win, he's holding his teammates accountable and is trying to get the most out of them. I thought that was great.

I think what most objective fans are trying to convey is that although he showed some emotion (which was good) the outburst was very cringe (screaming like a teenager) and nothing how an experienced leader would speak to his team...another telling piece during the outburst is that the other players are just going about their business and not really even listening to McDavid...just looks very poor overall.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Hard to believe that this is a professional sports athlete acting like this. This is usually how kids act when Mommy doesn't buy them ice cream.

Well that's not good enough, wah wah. No wonder why none of the players were listening to him. If you want your teammates to listen to you then maybe don't act like a 3-year-old.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021

Chara has won the cup. Mcbaby has not. Big difference, Chara is the better leader.

Ghost of Murph

Dec 23, 2023

Good point. Virtually every team locker room has players try to motivate the team in big situations by spouting off with expletives.

Lack of command presence, as you point out, plus the image of the other players not even paying attention to him due to lack of that presence paints a bit of a comical Barney Fife-esque picture.

As for Chara, he didn't even need to speak. Just a glare at someone caused pants shitting.

• Haha
Reactions: Frank Drebin

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Hard to believe that this is a professional sports athlete acting like this. This is usually how kids act when Mommy doesn't buy them ice cream.

Well that's not good enough, wah wah. No wonder why none of the players were listening to him. If you want your teammates to listen to you then maybe don't act like a 3-year-old.
So true, i love how Hughes is calm and leads by example without crying like a baby when he doesnt get his way. The way Mcbaby acted like a sore loser by not accepting his award and accepting his defeat and not encouraging everyone that next year they can win it, just shows his immaturity. No wonder his team whines all the time for PP calls.

Good point. Virtually every team locker room has players try to motivate the team in big situations by spouting off with expletives.

Lack of command presence, as you point out, plus the image of the other players not even paying attention to him due to lack of that presence paints a bit of a comical Barney Fife-esque picture.

As for Chara, he didn't even need to speak. Just a glare at someone caused pants shitting.
Chara is a true leader, even i would poop my pants if he looked me the wrong way 🤣 Mcbaby crying and whining would make me laugh in the dressing room

Boxscore

Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
He sounds like an awkward whiny teenager.
It sounded awkward because of his voice and because he was enraged lmao. But, good for him. Regardless of how it sounded, the truth is, it showed his anger with losing, not being happy with the status quo, and his willingness to sound awkward in an attempt to light a fire under his teammates. And this only works because:

A. He's Connor Freaking McDavid
B. He's one of the most productive playoff scorers in history
C. Everyone in that room 100% knows without him they have 0 shot of winning anything worthwhile
D. He works as hard, or harder than everyone he was screaming at

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Hughes/Nylander/Pastrnak/Landeskog/Trouba should have not been included in the series, they have no on screen charisma. Landeskog's segment felt like the biggest waste of time in the whole series.

They should have just cut the fat and made this about Tkachuk and McDavid the entire way through.

Also, if I were a new viewer, I would have no idea who the hell the "core 4." I'd be more like "who the f*** are these guys and why should I care?"

Waste of potential with this series. Also who the f*** were the two random broadcasters? Blackburn and the other female broadcaster. They should have just used Nurse and Biz. Could even bring in a guy like Bieksa if you are going to cover Canadian markets.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
I don't understand the posters trying to shit on him for that ? He showed passion and that he cares and actually wants to win, he's holding his teammates accountable and is trying to get the most out of them. I thought that was great.
Passion? Crying and screaming and whining when the game is over isnt passion. Passion is like when JT miller hits and fights on the ice to backup what he says in the dressing room. I saw McDavid disappear in game 7 of the finals, not giving his all, not hitting and clawing his way to get a goal. All i saw was him crying at the end. If thats called passion then its pathetic.

Reactions: heynowbababooey

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
I think McD is just an awkward and weird person (ie: weird expressions when taking photos with fans, childish lockerroom rant and now ketchup...), it's probably because he has dedicated his whole life to being a hockey perfectionist (spending abnormal amounts of time in the arena) that he has no connection to the real world and isn't "normal"...very Micheal Jackson-like, by all accounts Gretzky seemed much more personable and normal probably because of his dad Walter.
Yep, he lacks social skills. Its like those COD nerds that play video games 24/7 and have no social life or social skills. It shows he is dedicated to hockey and eats, drinks and sleeps hockey but unlike other players, he doesnt do anything else outside of his hockey life. Even his interaction with his gf seems cold to me based on what i saw in the series but i dont know if he is like that all the time. On the other hand, Tkatchuk and others like Hughes seem to have some social life outside of hockey and dont focus their time 24/7 just thinking about hockey. Too much of anything is toxic and hockey is no exception.

Boxscore

Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Passion? Crying and screaming and whining when the game is over isnt passion. Passion is like when JT miller hits and fights on the ice to backup what he says in the dressing room. I saw McDavid disappear in game 7 of the finals, not giving his all, not hitting and clawing his way to get a goal. All i saw was him crying at the end. If thats called passion then its pathetic.
I'm not a McDavid or Oilers fan but this seems very unfair and biased. McDavid played a huge part in the Oilers even making it to Game 7 (against a deeper, stronger, and more battle-tested team who lost their own game 7 the previous year). The Oilers as a club were spent by G7. You could tell about 15 minutes in that they used up every ounce of fight they had to extend the series and they had nothing else to give, McDavid included.

In no way, shape, or form did McDavid "not give it his all"... and his all-time elite playoff numbers make such a claim foolish. McDavid is a Grade A competitor. Watch his documentary. The kid was rehabbing his injuries beyond what the team requested just to get back quicker. When asked about it, he said something along the lines of, "They just gave me a lot of money and I do the team no good unless I play, so I need to get back." The dude is an elite competitor. I have no problem with his screaming and I'd want him on my team any day of the week.

crowfish

Jun 3, 2011
Yep, he lacks social skills. Its like those COD nerds that play video games 24/7 and have no social life or social skills. It shows he is dedicated to hockey and eats, drinks and sleeps hockey but unlike other players, he doesnt do anything else outside of his hockey life. Even his interaction with his gf seems cold to me based on what i saw in the series but i dont know if he is like that all the time. On the other hand, Tkatchuk and others like Hughes seem to have some social life outside of hockey and dont focus their time 24/7 just thinking about hockey. Too much of anything is toxic and hockey is no exception.

McDavid is on a path to be one of the 3 greatest to ever live. Tkachuk and Hughes being fun at parties is cool and everything, but the history books do not care, nor do I.

Just to comment generally, the people who did on McDavid being an awkward introvert are critiquing him for the temperament he was born with. It shows a lack of thoughtfulness or understanding. It's not like Tkachuk chooses to be outgoing... he was born with that temperament. It is very hard for an introvert to act extroverted and vice versa. It takes mental energy and exhausts an introvert to do things that are easy for an extrovert.

CantHaveTkachev

Accruing Cap Space
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Owns my team? Canucks swept the oilers in regular season and lost by 1 goal in game 7 without Demko and Boeser in game 7. If anything, Oilers got lucky since it was Canucks owning Oilers all season last year. Even in last game of preseason the Canucks still spanked oilers 4-1 with Silovs in net and Oilers playing all their regulars. Hughes has more points and goals against Oilers compared to any other team and Boeser just eats skinner for breakfast.
Nucks excuses as per usual
No wonder they’ve been dog shit for 50+ years..Skinny Pete and Hughes were NO SHOWS against the Oilers, couldn’t handle big boy hockey and Bouchard ate their lunch

Nucks have never beaten the Oilers in the playoffs but hey, you’ll always have the meaningless regular season sweep

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Nucks excuses as per usual
No wonder they’ve been dog shit for 50+ years..Skinny Pete and Hughes were NO SHOWS against the Oilers, couldn’t handle big boy hockey and Bouchard ate their lunch

Nucks have never beaten the Oilers in the playoffs but hey, you’ll always have the meaningless regular season sweep
Dog shit for 50+ years? I guess you forgot the president trophies and trip to finals 3 times in those 50 years. By that logic oilers have also been dog shit for 40 or so years. Last time they were good, grandpa gretzky was playing for them 🤣

Tribec

Jun 20, 2004

Every captain does things differently, he leads by example on the ice, he doesn't need to fight others do that. I've watched plenty of sports from around the world and some of the best captains scream and shout at there team mates on the field and off it. Some players respond to that, others don't, however I know as an Oilers fan, I was screaming at my TV at stupid O'clock during that game 2 as it was obvious they needed a kick up the backside. It didn't work so he did the next thing and put the team on his back and took them to 3-3.

It's all a bit odd a Canucks fan talking about a player showing emotion and passion after losing a game 7 in the finals. I guess it would have been OK had he started ripping the dressing room up and causing loads of physical damage. That's the passion and emotions that Canucks fans expect.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton

the best players on the team generally are the ones that work the hardest. Motivation and "presence" has almost nothing to do with physical stature, cold stares, or prepared speeches.

The Oilers play for Mcdavid because he leads by example.

I know we all hate the "if you ever played you would know this" line but holy shit some of you guys are making it painfully obvious you've never been in a locker room before.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad