Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman: VII - As featured in Episode 3 of Amazon's "FACEOFF: Inside the NHL

How does this saga end?

• Bridge deal

Votes: 58 20.8%
  • Long term deal

Votes: 77 27.6%
  • Trade

Votes: 144 51.6%

• Total voters

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
One could make the argument that we're beating a dead horse here.

So be it. Discuss, if you so choose. We'll keep all the Swayman talk contained to this thread.

If you have nothing meaningful to contribute to the conversation, move along.

We will not have this devolve into thread hijacking and flaming of other posters.

@Gee Wally

We have numerous deletions and more in here. We know tension and emotions are high.
But you folks must simply stop taking personal shots at each. Stay to topic.

If not we will be left with no choice other than adding thread bans.

Last edited:

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I wish there was a video of Don Sweeney's face when Neely said $64 million.

I bet it was a WTF moment we've never seen before from Donny.

I don't know how true it is, (big) but, Charlie authorized Sweeney to go to $64 million the day before the press conference.

If there is any truth to that, Neely has to go. Not to mention that it was 100 percent against the CBA.

Neely should leave the running of the team to Sweeney and Gold.

I don't think so.

Cam didn't even mention money. Just reasons. Sure we know what he meant, but he didn't say.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
I certainly remember your criticism this past July 1. And I'm sure yo ripped the Backes signing.

Yes I know.. UFAs., but so what "what's a million here and a million there?"

I do think Monday at 5 pm is a deadline.

Really? Ok I'm out on Swayman and Gross. Anyone who spends their lives dealing with taxes can't be trusted!!!
I swear on Jack Hughes cute little head I have Judy Collins ‘Both Sides Now’ playing in background

I can see both sides although I wish Cam took his shoe off banged it and thrown it at someone so @LSCII could understand the true meaning of a hissy fit

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I wish there was a video of Don Sweeney's face when Neely said $64 million.

I bet it was a WTF moment we've never seen before from Donny.

I don't know how true it is, (big) but, Charlie authorized Sweeney to go to $64 million the day before the press conference.

If there is any truth to that, Neely has to go. Not to mention that it was 100 percent against the CBA.

Neely should leave the running of the team to Sweeney and Gold.

Dom is there wiggle room with that?

Can the bruins say Neely thought $64 million was offered but Sweeney actually hadn’t offered that? And somehow Neely wasn’t involved in the contract negotiations?

Or would a communication/negligence on Neelys part not factor into the possible breach of the CBA?

Of course the above would be under the assumption that Neely actually wasn’t aware of the offer on the table somehow

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
This isn’t going anywhere. Players side doesn’t seem to be moving as much as the B’s have. Is one last effort to get his money? Idk. It’s not going to end well. Either he signs or is traded. If he signs and starts off slow…….oh boy. I can just see the fans at the Garden. Kid is going to be under some pressure if he stays.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
So, maybe 8.25M gets it done. There is the 68M.
I hope the Bruins stick to 8x8 and don't budge. That's $2.2m leftover that pays a 13th forward and can accrue nicely towards a deadline deal if needed. If not, it also takes care of a callup that might be necessary if the team is not using LTIR. 8x8 is a great contract for someone of Swayman's accomplishments to this point in his career, with a good bit being allocated to future performance expectations.

Guelph Bruin

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2015
He is stuck in the high 8s...he better get himself in the low 8s very quickly. Serious question, how much "sway" can the Bruins brass have in him getting endorsements ...can there be any behind the scene handshake promises for endorsement $$ not obligated to the contract? He'd make a perfect spokesperson for deluxe ultra soft tissues ....... just imagine him getting paid to whine and cry about the arbitration process for years to come sponsored by Kleenex in a series of parody commercials (think Saturday night live level parody) :)... be f'n hilarious and make me a fan of his again

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
I hope the Bruins stick to 8x8 and don't budge. That's $2.2m leftover that pays a 13th forward and can accrue nicely towards a deadline deal if needed. If not, it also takes care of a callup that might be necessary if the team is not using LTIR. 8x8 is a great contract for someone of Swayman's accomplishments to this point in his career, with a good bit being allocated to future performance expectations.
I agree, I'm only thinking, what do the Bruins bend to to get it done. If this goes by the Monday deadline, his time here is over.
That being said, I still do not believe he has earned >7.5M yet, including his "the cap is going up every year" mantra. That's why a 4 year deal makes the most sense. Both sides are protected against long term dissatisfaction.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
So if he signs for 8/64, then wouldn't the AAV just be $8m the first year?

I'm not following how/why the cap hit goes up every day his pay goes down.

I'll take a shot at this: so the deal , whenever Swayman actually signs, is still going to be say, 8x8. The cap hit starts accruing when the season starts (or whatever date in the CBA around them). So, the 8 mil for the first season is prorated to what they are actually paying him daily which will be more than 8m over the standard season contract length if they start paying after the season begins. So, the cap hit is adjusted to account for the same money paid over a shorter period. Shit, I hope that is it, anyway lol.

2023-24
Joey Daccord
50 games .916 2.46
1.2mil/year

Jeremy Swayman
44 games .916 2.53
8+mil/year?

Now you're just stirring shit up :laugh:

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I'll take a shot at this: so the deal , whenever Swayman actually signs, is still going to be say, 8x8. The cap hit starts accruing when the season starts (or whatever date in the CBA around them). So, the 8 mil for the first season is prorated to what they are actually paying him daily which will be more than 8 if they start paying after the season start. So, the cap hit is adjusted to account for the same money paid over a shorter period. Shit, I hope that is it, anyway lol.

Now you're just stirring shit up :laugh:

This is my view of it as well.

With every day/week that goes by 8/$64 then turns into 7.9 years/64 and days/weeks later 7.8/64 etc

Reactions: Dr Hook

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
I'll take a shot at this: so the deal , whenever Swayman actually signs, is still going to be say, 8x8. The cap hit starts accruing when the season starts (or whatever date in the CBA around them). So, the 8 mil for the first season is prorated to what they are actually paying him daily which will be more than 8m over the standard season contract length if they start paying after the season begins. So, the cap hit is adjusted to account for the same money paid over a shorter period. Shit, I hope that is it, anyway lol.
I thought if he signed for $8m per year, and didn't start playing until 1/4 of the season was gone, he only actually gets paid $6m this year. So even if the cap hit is retroactive to the first day of camp, shouldn't it just be an $8m hit?

Like, how is that an accurate measure of expenses if you pay him less in actual dollars but are charged more than AAV against the cap?

OR, are people saying that if Swayman wants $8m this year and doesn't sign until 1/4 of the season is gone, then he will really be signing for $10m in year 1 so he gets his full $8m.

Last edited:

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
But is that the case? I thought if he signed for $8m per year, and didn't start playing until 1/4 of the season was gone, he only actually gets paid $6m this year. So even if the cap hit is retroactive to the first day of camp, shouldn't it just be an $8m hit?
Dammit, I thought I had it figured out. All I can come up with is that the contracts are valued at AAV regardless of actual money paid each year. So while Swayman is getting paid only for playing part of a season, the contract itself is still valued at 8 AAV and thus gets prorated.

Scanner head.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad