Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman: VII - As featured in Episode 3 of Amazon's "FACEOFF: Inside the NHL

How does this saga end?

• Bridge deal

Votes: 57 20.7%
  • Long term deal

Votes: 77 27.9%
  • Trade

Votes: 142 51.4%

• Total voters

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
One could make the argument that we're beating a dead horse here.

So be it. Discuss, if you so choose. We'll keep all the Swayman talk contained to this thread.

If you have nothing meaningful to contribute to the conversation, move along.

We will not have this devolve into thread hijacking and flaming of other posters.

@Gee Wally

We have numerous deletions and more in here. We know tension and emotions are high.
But you folks must simply stop taking personal shots at each. Stay to topic.

If not we will be left with no choice other than adding thread bans.

Last edited:

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Genuine question. Where do you think that the “deal is going to be done within 24 hours” rumor from 2-3 weeks ago came from.

The one where Ty anderson, WEEI, dom, and multiple other sources said was coming.

Do you think all those peoples sources just made that up and started spreading it?

Or do you think an internal bruins source thought they had a deal done and started leaking too early to pressure swayman into signing.

Just saying Swaymans camp is 100% leaking to the media, but at the same time the bruins are too.
About a month ago, I posted a podcast posted on either Bruins Beat or Poke The Bear hosted by Connor Ryan and featuring Ty Anderson.

Both agreed that Bruins management and personnel habitually "misdirect on purpose," hence premature reports that a deal was imminent.

Two sides play chess.

Or checkers.

nORRis8

The NHL, the stupidest League ever.
Sep 16, 2015
RedDeer, Alberta
I haven’t seen one legit source that say the offer is under 8X8 right now.
IMG_20241001_120343251.jpg
Or this from this past week.
They said " It's been reported....yada yada 8.5...yada yada Bruins 7.8...."
Zero evidence given to substantiate. Zippo.
But they sure talked up a storm about it.:rolleyes:

Reactions: Gordoff

LiseL

Sponsor
Sep 25, 2023
M

My response was to one specific poster. Clearly more goalies have won cups since the hard cap sub, 9 million. Counting Vasi, are goalies making $9M or more batting 1.0, ha!!!. Look in another post I said I would go as high as $8.5M but preferably $8M.
OK. I misunderstood, thought you were saying the cup win was because he was a $10M goalie. Sorry, my bad.

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
Funny he had the best playoff round since Rask in 2013. Big time fetal position. Why don’t you try to make actual points instead of your hard guy “fetal position” baby stuff
That round…you know…the one…could be sign of future great rounds or could be an anomaly. Which is kind the point here.

Sway trying to capitalize on a small sample size and Ullmark’s exit.

Bruins trying to be cautious and not screw the team long term with a short sighted deal for a goalie not yet proven to be “the guy”.

I know you’re a Swayman fan but there’s two sides to this.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Considering the bigger sample size, this particular Agent is a questionable character and very willing to test the limits of what will earn his clients their demand.

Hard to see him as a victim.
Yeah, I saw a Cheetah tear apart a rabbit online and I felt bad for that poor Cheetah, he got all this fur stuck between his teeth. Must've been uncomfortable.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
The risk Swayman takes is that over the life of 8 years, if he performs equal to higher paid goalies like Shesterkin's anticipated new deal, or much better than Sorokin or Saros he will be underpaid, and by quite a bit - both sides are at risk. That's why Swayman signing for $8M guarantees security by taking less, but the Bruins signing for $8M now could result in a bargain somewhere down the line.
He still ends up a very wealthy athlete, the poor bastard.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Genuine question. Where do you think that the “deal is going to be done within 24 hours” rumor from 2-3 weeks ago came from.

The one where Ty anderson, WEEI, dom, and multiple other sources said was coming.

Do you think all those peoples sources just made that up and started spreading it?

Or do you think an internal bruins source thought they had a deal done and started leaking too early to pressure swayman into signing.

Just saying Swaymans camp is 100% leaking to the media, but at the same time the bruins are too.
I don't know about anyone else, but I made it clear at the time it came from a different agent who represents another Bruins player who said he "expects it tonight or tomorrow".

LiseL

Sponsor
Sep 25, 2023
Those are two different things. Gross is gross, but he is an agent and it is expected. I do not expect a professional athlete whining to the public about a team disagreeing how much he should get paid.

Swayman is playing the victim to get public sympathy and it worked on a few people like yourself.
Even regarding this agent, I don't think any other agent/agent group has had so many RFA negotiation conflicts that end up going public (that I'm aware of). Is it a coincidence that he only has a few high profile clients (Gaudreault, NylandIer, Krug, now Swayman), and all of their RFA negotiations become public knowledge due to some irregularities? Even when RFA Shane Pinto was negotiating a contract his summer, another Gross client, rumours of offer sheets started swirling around. He has a reputation, that's for sure.

LiseL

Sponsor
Sep 25, 2023
I have asked several times did Nylander fire Gross? Has anyone fired Gross?
If not, why is anyone blaming Gross?
No, he's still his agent. When Nylander's contract dispute in 2018 still hadn't been resolved by late November, according to Nylander's statement, he said he wished he had been involved earlier in the negotiation. He dealt directly with Dubas and they signed the deal on Nov 30th I believe. However, he never fired his agent. Were those comments just spin to save face by basically blaming it on his agent?

We'll never know but I suspect yes because: a} he never fired him, and b) when it came time to negotiate his UFA contract, his agent got him exactly what he wanted ($92M) because according to sources, he told TML GM, it's $92M or he goes to market. GM caved and accepted and that was that.

I'm not a Leafs fan, but according to those that post, he's still pretty popular even after the latest contract because he produces in the regular season and is one of few top 4 who produces in the playoffs. But if his play drops off, watch out.

Reactions: Gordoff and BMC

The Un4casted Storm

May 14, 2015
Vancouver, Canada
No, he's still his agent. When Nylander's contract dispute in 2018 still hadn't been resolved by late November, according to Nylander's statement, he said he wished he had been involved earlier in the negotiation. He dealt directly with Dubas and they signed the deal on Nov 30th I believe. However, he never fired his agent. Were those comments just spin to save face by basically blaming it on his agent?

We'll never know but I suspect yes because: a} he never fired him, and b) when it came time to negotiate his UFA contract, his agent got him exactly what he wanted ($92M) because according to sources, he told TML GM, it's $92M or he goes to market. GM caved and accepted and that was that.

I'm not a Leafs fan, but according to those that post, he's still pretty popular even after the latest contract because he produces in the regular season and is one of few top 4 who produces in the playoffs. But if his play drops off, watch out.
I remember Nylander taking a lot of heat after the holdout, especially given the miserable start he had after coming back. The best thing that happened to him reputation-wise was that a few months later Mitch Marner went through his own very public and very bitter negotiation which destroyed his hometown hero image and firmly moved the whipping boy target from Nylander to Marner where it's remained pretty much ever since. I think as long as Marner remains a Leaf, Nylander will largely be safe from fan ire as long as his play doesn't completely fall off a cliff. If Marner leaves after this season, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Leaf fans turn on him if he doesn't live up to that contract (huge overpay imo).

Reactions: LiseL

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
Thanks Dom, I can now sleep easy
Ahh cmon you’ll sleep fine regardless. This and pro sports in general is entertainment for most of us. These guys aren’t our role models, friends, family… paychecks don’t depend on them.

Get a good nights sleep and worry about important stuff tomorrow like what time does recycling close, do I need 1/2 ‘n 1/2 and eggs, does this shirt make me look jacked….sh*t that matters.

Reactions: Ozzy Osbourne

LiseL

Sponsor
Sep 25, 2023
Sure a team could pay him what he wants now IF they have the cap space or are willing to dismantle their team this year. It wouldn't be the following years that are the problem so much.

The Bruins could pay him IF they wanted to be cap strapped and have to dismantle their team This year. The following years they have time to move things around plus kids have another year of experience. Timing is everything.

How would you feel if they moved McAvoy to make the room? They might figure the defense is deep enough to absorb the loss and they might get some cap space and acquire a defensive replacement and winger ce ter in the deal.

And just because I said they could, doesn't mean they should. I know I wouldn't, other then I feel he needs to prove himself over time, it sets a bad precedence for futures negotiations with other players both FAs and UFAs.
Your last statement hit it on the head for me, Swayman doesn't want to ruin the RFA goalie market, Bruins don't want to reset the RFA goalie market.

For me, it's just so odd that in the same year, 2 goalies (Shesterkin, Swayman) want to influence the price of goalies. It is evident that they both feel goalies aren't getting their fair share. But so far in the cap world, most GMs have shown they value top end forwards and D more. Even after Price, Vasi and Bob got their deals, it didn't change the goalie market all that much. Top end F and D still get paid a lot more. I wonder if this one will actually change that, regardless of how it turns out for each goalie, or will they simply be anomolies even if they do end up winning?

LiseL

Sponsor
Sep 25, 2023
Interesting read from March 4th, 2024.

It states of how the Bruins may have to go as high a 6.5 or even 7 million.
Boy, were they off the old greed mark.

The one thing that this article seems to confirm is that there were early contract discussions with Swayman's camp back in March. If true, hard to believe that the # started with a 9, otherwise, why trade Ullmark? Or maybe they did know and that's why they accepted Korpi, believing that # would come down but hedging their bets in case it didn't.

Unless someone spills the beans, we will never know if money was discussed back in March, and if so, the dollar amounts being thrown around. I know, moot point. The negotiations are where they're at, regardless of what transpired in March.

Should've added that maybe the # came up because of his playoff performance. Ullmark being gone was simply more ammunition.

So it has been roughly 96 hrs since the Bruins verbally offered 64 million. When are we going to here something? I believe if there isn't something done by Monday, it will come to a bitter end that both side will regret.
Or drag out till the end of November like it did with Nylander.

Last edited:
Reactions: nORRis8

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
NFL and NBA plauers are actually interesting people. WNBA too it’s my favorite league for storylines. I’m at Mandalay Bay rn for UNLV-Syracuse football tonight and want to cry that I can’t attend Aces-Liberty tonight. I love that league and the players are awesome and fun.

NHL is just brats that had rich parents that also didn’t work and could drive them to multiple practices per day. We’re extremely lucky that the Bruins actually have personalities Brad Pasta Charlie etc aren’t cookie cutter dudes. So disappointed Swayman did this to us.
Hockey's roots are blue collar backgrounds filled with sacrifice. NFL and NBA is filled with divas just looking to be famous (just look at the difference in endorsements and which college sports get more NIL $$). Neither of our takes is 100% accurate, but calling all NHL players, rich kids is pretty presumptuous.

Reactions: Bodit9

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
You just don't get it, the question remains can he be the guy and carry the load with no fall back like Ullmark when it gets tough. From what I, see his mental toughness maybe should be questioned with they he folds up in a fetal position because someone was mean to him, what is going to be like when he has a rough patch, and now you know the fans are going to let him hear it after all this bullshit.

Awesome, nice work......But you do know what the comeback will be, Ullmark is 5 years older.
I love when an anonymous person on the internet claims a guy who played really well in an NHL game 7 of the playoffs lacks mental toughness.

That's when I know I'm on the right side.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
If the Bruins want to pay him 64 mil that's their business.
Personally I don't think he's proven or earned the right to be paid 8 x 8.
Other fan bases might think this is just Boston's problem, but if Boston exceeds their already massive and extremely generous offer this problem will soon become other team's problem as well.
What Swayman's camp is doing has the potential to ruin this young man's career and reputation if he does not sign a contract.

A quick note to Mr. Swayman (or family/friends of his who will have him read this) ...

I'm going to root for the Bruins whether you are a part of the team or not .
I am a fan of you because you are a Bruin.
I am a fan of you playing goal.
I wanted you in goal for the playoffs last spring.
You have shown to have great potential going forward.
Don't throw your career away by being stubborn.
Many of your fans will never know or come close to earning the money you have already earned in your career.
You are alienating much of your fan base.
Many feel you are being unreasonable, greedy, entitled, and overly stubborn.
Additionally, many feel you are hurting the success of the overall team by being selfish and not a team player; it's how they feel, rightfully or not.

Listen carefully...
I'm a grumpy old school constitutional conservative caucasian Christian male who has had to scratch and claw for everything he's received in life. Yeah, that's where i'm coming from. I don't expect anything from others or that they owe me anything. I am thankful and grateful for everything I have earned in life or have graciously received from the generousity of others. I'll be damned if I would just give some young, possibly naive and mislead, Potentially promising goalie such a potentially career Damaging massive contract without him first Proving his Maturity to handle it's responsibilities by Demonstrating his Ability through ascending and Sustaining league dominance in his chosen position over Several seasons. I would be at fault for nurturing such dependence and enabling pretentious conceit.

Maybe, if you were the loan star on this team keeping everyone else afloat there would be mutual recognition with management. You win and lose as a team, not an individual. Your success is directly proportionate to the team in front of you, with out them you wouldn't be where you are today ... standing at the threshold of stardom.

I'm not saying this is your intention, but you are showing signs of entitlement, by demanding something you haven't yet earned, which is a crutch for the emotionally fragile self indulged child who thinks the world owes him a handout. Establish your worth by having the Balls to go out and earn it. Maybe you've done it once, but in sports it's always about - can you do it again. Put doubters to shame and earn the respect of your peers over time. Because it's a dog eat dog world and you'll become my puppy's milkbone and he'll chew you up and spit you out otherwise. The world is a very mean and competitive place and there is always going to be someone who thinks they are better then you and is going to want to take away what you have. Be grateful for where you find yourself today.

No disrespect but, you're being a dumbass. Do you really want to be going into the season without a contract and have your value drop? It will be like starting all over and having to prove yourself again if you do. Who knows how long it will take, or if you even get the chance. Sign the damn contract and go out and redeem yourself in the eyes of the paying public before it too late.

Do I sound pissed? I am. Boys should be raised to be men. Men of leadership, self-reliant, of truthfulness and integrity. Men of family, faith, and counrty. Not whining pouting little b****es with their hands stretched out demanding others give them things they haven't earned. Such as, to be paid like a 10 year veteran with a Cup and Vezina or two, when they haven't even put in the time and effort.

8x8 is already an overpayment, I hope you realize that. It would be one thing if Bruins management offered you that amount uncoerced. But still they have offered it to you, maybe not in the way you would have liked, but they have offered. And, do you still want more? It's not a very good look.
Do the right thing, be a man. Accept and sign the damn contract.

If you haven't accepted by the start of the season, I hope they let you sit. And if i were you i wouldn't expect any new contract to be anywhere close to what was offered, expect it to be less, much less. At least being the grumpy old bustard I am that's what I would want them to do. But I am just one fan of the team and as it stands now, you are losing your fan base.
As a lurking Red Wing fan checking out the Swayman threads - I have got to say this is a top notch post!

:thumbu:

Reactions: Bodit9

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
That round…you know…the one…could be sign of future great rounds or could be an anomaly. Which is kind the point here.

Sway trying to capitalize on a small sample size and Ullmark’s exit.

Bruins trying to be cautious and not screw the team long term with a short sighted deal for a goalie not yet proven to be “the guy”.

I know you’re a Swayman fan but there’s two sides to this.
Which do you think will be better value in 2030?

36 year old Elias Lindholm making 7.75m
32 year old Jeremy Swayman making 8.5m

With the knowledge that in general, the primes of Fs tend to be much earlier than the primes of goalies.

Swayman should fire Gross and hire that agent
An agent that leaks stuff to the media about other players? Sounds like a totally sus guy.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Your last statement hit it on the head for me, Swayman doesn't want to ruin the RFA goalie market, Bruins don't want to reset the RFA goalie market.

For me, it's just so odd that in the same year, 2 goalies (Shesterkin, Swayman) want to influence the price of goalies. It is evident that they both feel goalies aren't getting their fair share. But so far in the cap world, most GMs have shown they value top end forwards and D more. Even after Price, Vasi and Bob got their deals, it didn't change the goalie market all that much. Top end F and D still get paid a lot more. I wonder if this one will actually change that, regardless of how it turns out for each goalie, or will they simply be anomolies even if they do end up winning?
Goalies are like running backs in the NFL. An important position, but you never know what that player will be in 3 years. Think Quick, Murray, Gibson, etc. A 10m goalie like Bobrovski can be a bottom half starter in the league any year. Only very rare goalies are consistently great. TBD, Swayman could be one, but that is not certain.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad