Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman: VII - As featured in Episode 3 of Amazon's "FACEOFF: Inside the NHL

How does this saga end?

• Bridge deal

Votes: 54 20.4%
  • Long term deal

Votes: 73 27.5%
  • Trade

Votes: 138 52.1%

• Total voters

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
One could make the argument that we're beating a dead horse here.

So be it. Discuss, if you so choose. We'll keep all the Swayman talk contained to this thread.

If you have nothing meaningful to contribute to the conversation, move along.

We will not have this devolve into thread hijacking and flaming of other posters.

@Gee Wally

We have numerous deletions and more in here. We know tension and emotions are high.
But you folks must simply stop taking personal shots at each. Stay to topic.

If not we will be left with no choice other than adding thread bans.

Last edited:

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
Man it really isn't that deep, both sides used the media to their advantage, I know you're a Sway fan but relax and let it run its course.
Agreed. You would think it was all one way though like it's not part of acrimonious contract talks all the time.

Reactions: NDiesel

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
If he were my son, I'd be proud that he is holding management accountable for their lies during arbitration. Now, it's not that Swayman is asking for more than he thinks he's worth. He's just determined not to do the Bruins any favours after the nonsense he was put through. More power to him.

Lies?

What on earth?

No one is expecting Swayman at a discount but 8x8 is more than generous of the Bruins with his resume.

Grimey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 4, 2017
Can we at least agree that a lot of us here (myself included) are far more thin-skinned than either of these guys? This thread itself has almost reached 120 pages and 90-100% of the posts are snarky jabs at one another over other people’s lives.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
going wildly over the cap in the offseason when your in the bruins position just leads to lopsided trades to get compliant. not good business, the Bruins never do it for a reason.
I was talking about going over a million or a 1.5 and depending on the exact timing, it wouldn't have been over because it just would've meant not signing some people and going instead with internal candidates.

Demon Eyes

Nov 29, 2014
And yet Brady signed a media deal worth more than his entire career earnings. Was also married to someone during his career that made more than him.

It's also a personal choice. Cherry picking players taking less and expecting that of them all, just asinine
Brady probably made his contract or more in endorsements. Look at Ohtani. He "only" makes 2 million a year for the good of the team. And he makes more then what his real contract is in endorsements. I'm sureany players would go easy on their contracts if they had side hustles that paid similar to their contracts .

Reactions: Pia8988

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
What a mess as the saga continues

Regardless of how this ends there is one thing I can't ignore.....in May the crowd was chanting Swayman's name while the team skated off the ice ...today a large majority of fans favor the side of management

Say what you want about the job of an agent being to get the most money he can for his client ...it takes a special skill to cause such a crap storm of acrimony, leaks and general bad feelings

I hope Sway signs here (my original guess of 8x8.25 still holds) but it does begin to feel like Sway and his agent are finding a way to win the battle and lose the war
Maybe, or maybe it's just the nature of most fans who are pretty much in the "What have you done for me lately..." camp. Many fans are looking at this as 1) the player being greedy 2) the player being ungrateful and 3) the player hurting the team.

I think their reaction is more on themselves than it is the agent. That's not a criticism, but just the truth that fans can be fickle and in general love a player one moment and hate him the next. It's not a logical dispassionate existence.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Anamoly, overpaid...lol don't worry, I'm sure he'll prove you right someday and we're all just miles behind you :sarcasm:
How'd the season tracking for him to hit twenty goals go again? I can't recall. And I'll be happy to watch you guys all high five and pat yourselves on the back again when he's getting close, only to fall short. Again. And again.

At the end of the day? Still an overpaid bottom of the roster stiff. :naughty:

Swayman will be a bargain in 2 years to whatever team pays him. That's my prediction for how this one shakes out.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
And yet Brady signed a media deal worth more than his entire career earnings. Was also married to someone during his career that made more than him.

It's also a personal choice. Cherry picking players taking less and expecting that of them all, just asinine
Sure and that stuff all happened you know....way after the referenced contract that Pioli is talking about.

My point is, an agent is going to do what they think is best for their client, whether fans agree or not.

When no progress is being made, and in this situation, the player is going to miss regular season games as a result, sometimes it's up to the player to get it over the finish line one way or another, much like Nylander did when he spoke directly with Dubas.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Maybe, or maybe it's just the nature of most fans who are pretty much in the "What have you done for me lately..." camp. Many fans are looking at this as 1) the player being greedy 2) the player being ungrateful and 3) the player hurting the team.

I think their reaction is more on themselves than it is the agent. That's not a criticism, but just the truth that fans can be fickle and in general love a player one moment and hate him the next. It's not a logical dispassionate existence.

Fans who pay high ticket prices are the problem. Swaymans 60 million problem at 25 we should feel bad for

KrugAvoy

Aug 11, 2017
Lowell
Brady probably made his contract or more in endorsements. Look at Ohtani. He "only" makes 2 million a year for the good of the team. And he makes more then what his real contract is in endorsements. I'm sureany players would go easy on their contracts if they had side hustles that paid similar to their contracts .

Sounds like Swayman and Gross need to give the Sullivan Tire guy a ring. A few commercials here and there could put a few extra pennies in his pockets :sarcasm:

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
How'd the season tracking for him to hit twenty goals go again? I can't recall. And I'll be happy to watch you guys all high five and pat yourselves on the back again when he's getting close, only to fall short. Again. And again.

At the end of the day? Still an overpaid bottom of the roster stiff. :naughty:

Swayman will be a bargain in 2 years to whatever team pays him. That's my prediction for how this one shakes out.
I mean the season hasn't started so it's tracking pretty well I guess lol, but that he wasn't going to reach 20 isn't what you said, you said his one season was a anamoly which he repeated and proved you wrong

Takes quite the person to double down on being wrong, but hey you do you and keep on bragging about how you're usually right every once and a while

Reactions: Bodit9

LetsGoBruins97

May 17, 2022
Arlington, VA
I just don’t see a trade happening in this situation.

His trade value is currently very low. Despite what some of the Swayman fanboys might think, there’s no real market for a 25-year-old goalie who’s only won one playoff series, never been a true #1 for his team, and is demanding 8 years at $9.5M per year as an RFA. I’d be surprised if he can even match Saros’ contract from another team. Utah might be a slim possibility given their cap space, need for goaltending, and motivated ownership, but I doubt the return would be anywhere close to what we'd hope for.

The best course of action would be to increase the offer to 8 years at $8.25M and set a November 15th deadline. That’s already a significant overpayment and more than fair. I think it’s a big risk to commit even that much to him, but at this point, I’d be willing to do it just to move forward and see if he can meet the expectations we’ll all have after this dragged-out process. If he declines, he can sit out and lose a service year. In my opinion, we’d still be a playoff team with a Korpisalo/Bussi tandem, and we’d have cap space to explore adding a top-six winger (and potentially another goalie, if necessary) before the trade deadline.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I just don’t see a trade happening in this situation.

His trade value is currently very low. Despite what some of the Swayman fanboys might think, there’s no real market for a 25-year-old goalie who’s only won one playoff series, never been a true #1 for his team, and is demanding 8 years at $9.5M per year as an RFA. I’d be surprised if he can even match Saros’ contract from another team. Utah might be a slim possibility given their cap space, need for goaltending, and motivated ownership, but I doubt the return would be anywhere close to what we'd hope for.

The best course of action would be to increase the offer to 8 years at $8.25M and set a November 15th deadline. That’s already a significant overpayment and more than fair. I think it’s a big risk to commit even that much to him, but at this point, I’d be willing to do it just to move forward and see if he can meet the expectations we’ll all have after this dragged-out process. If he declines, he can sit out and lose a service year. In my opinion, we’d still be a playoff team with a Korpisalo/Bussi tandem, and we’d have cap space to explore adding a top-six winger (and potentially another goalie, if necessary) before the trade deadline.
Why do they need to increase the offer? Again?

DavidK

Jun 10, 2021
Lies?

What on earth?

No one is expecting Swayman at a discount but 8x8 is more than generous of the Bruins with his resume.

They lied every time they told the arbitrator, "We think this is a valid argument: " and then made a criticism of Swayman which they knew was bogus.

Also, a player's resume is only one part of the equation when determining his contract. The player's ability and projected value to the team are even more valid criteria. By those criteria, Swayman is right to ask for the moon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad