Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman: VII - As featured in Episode 3 of Amazon's "FACEOFF: Inside the NHL

How does this saga end?

• Bridge deal

Votes: 53 20.5%
  • Long term deal

Votes: 71 27.4%
  • Trade

Votes: 135 52.1%

• Total voters

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
One could make the argument that we're beating a dead horse here.

So be it. Discuss, if you so choose. We'll keep all the Swayman talk contained to this thread.

If you have nothing meaningful to contribute to the conversation, move along.

We will not have this devolve into thread hijacking and flaming of other posters.

@Gee Wally

We have numerous deletions and more in here. We know tension and emotions are high.
But you folks must simply stop taking personal shots at each. Stay to topic.

If not we will be left with no choice other than adding thread bans.

Last edited:

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
I get it for sure but if he was on board being team first all that other stuff he's free to enjoy. This battle with the Bruins sours that imo

None of these guys are team first. Nor should they be. This is their job.

Taking a "team friendly" deal doesn't necessarily equal "team first". Most guys that take team friendly deals and get the reputation as team first guys are established in their careers and in their value and Swayman isn't yet.

Reactions: Carbonated Puck

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
As much as we fans like to believe players bleed black and gold, they understand this is a business and all go through this to a certain extent.

I don't see this being a problem in the room. It's a media and fan circus.
To some degree you are correct, but to some degree you are incorrect, these guys sign contracts that have worked since they were little kids and not many get that far but the ones that do also have a cup in their sights, that is very important to them.

Reactions: Gordoff

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
Here's the problem as I understand it now.

Swayman and Gross decided to go big dick energy into this. Gross drew up a plan, and the essence of that plan required you hold the line (and be a bit dirty). That is all the plan can do (btw it's a bad plan).

The problem is, Neely laid them both down, in front of the WORLD, and asked "who's first?". That's why Cam is the man for this job. For this CITY. He has his flaws, but godamn he's our magnificent bastard. Dude will punch through a wall when we lose. You want that passion at the top.

So now it actually feels like 64 MILLION dollars is a loss to Sway (which we all agree is insane). You come back into nets as a villain. Not just a villain, a baby bitch villain.

So it becomes how you heal it, if he signs. How would everyone rally, and put it in the past? How do the boos not start if by game 10 he's an .895%? I think the Bruins organization has to find a way to not just offer 64M, but heal. Those are the conversations we don't get to hear. But we hope for them.
First salvo fired was the Bruins leaking Keefe "Swayman wants 10 mil per"

Gross feeds Chiclets some info, true on the offers, false on the not hearing back for 3 weeks

Sweeney goes ape shit on Ty at the news conference

Bruins go up to 7.5/7.8 and Swayman down to "high 8's, low 9's"

Neely publicaly embarrasses Swayman with an offer that did not yet exist

Gross takes major offense to Cam's "lie" and issues a drama queen like response.

Swayman simmers down and apparently is in Boston this weekend.

Reactions: Grimey

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Those comments were made in January no? Where was all the vitriol back then?
We're all just spouting opinions. None of it changes what will or will not happen.

So given that, I gotta be honest. I admire your dedication and loyalty to the cause. I don't agree with it, but I admire it.

Reactions: SwayHeyKid

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
To some degree you are correct, but to some degree you are incorrect, these guys sign contracts that have worked since they were little kids and not many get that far but the ones that do also have a cup in their sights, that is very important to them.

That's a competitive, individual goal. Most players want to lift that cup regardless of what jersey they're wearing when they do it (see: Bourque, Raymond).

ETA: of course Ray would have preferred to hoist the cup in Boston and wasn't able to. But was it any less meaningful to him in an Avs sweater?

Reactions: RoccoF14

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
I get it for sure but if he was on board being team first all that other stuff he's free to enjoy. This battle with the Bruins sours that imo
Did you hear the EF 32 thoughts where he said Pasta pushed the Bruins further than they were comfortable going, but relented because he was a UFA? How was he team first? How did you cope?

A paper bag with 2 decent sized plums in it
Plums are extremely underrated.

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont

Gross feeds Chiclets some info, true on the offers, false on the not hearing back for 3 weeks

Gross takes major offense to Cam's "lie" and issues a drama queen like response.

Is he packing his bags?

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I don't get The Athletic, so in the context of "The Echo Chamber" how many people voted and do we have anyway of knowing how many were B's fans? That is probably relevant in the % you are using to bolster your argument.
I don't know, I just did that math directly off the post that I responded to. I was confused because the post seemed to use those numbers to imply that we on HF Boards are on an island.

My only point was that that doesn't seem to be a good assumption to make from that survey (again, I didn't see survey). It seems that no matter where you go for a viewpoint, most people think that 8x8 is a pretty decent offer for Swayman and that Gross is not "truth" guy.

Doesn't mean anything - except it "seems" that public opinion on this is with Bruins management. Which "might" mean that anyone holding out for more than 8x8 is the one on the island.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Just listened to insider/reporter frank seravalli on Fan590 in toronto talking about Swayman for 15 minutes... he's actually in Boston right now trying to get more info on negotiations.... he states the lines of communication are still open which is good for Sway to stay ..also says Sway should accept the offer of 8x8 because he's no top 3 goalie yet.....but his opinion is Neeley's outburst likely cost the Bruins a few million and the contract will be $8.25ish x 8...just opinions
Thanks for the recap.

On a total side note, I do find the bolded part funny. These "insiders" do like to take themselves seriously. I imagine Frank standing outside TD Garden yelling into the buzzer "hello... hello.... It's Franky Seravalli. Is Donny home?":laugh:

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
Sweeney should let him know that this is our final offer, take it or we will try to arrange a trade that is good for both parties.

I am sure Sweeney has other issues he needs to attend to and cannot dedicate all his time to a spoiled ass brat who believes he is the saviour.

Sway you do not want to be here, spit it out so things can move forward.

May not be the best scenario fo either parties but this fiasco has to end.

Reactions: Gordoff and Bodit9

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
no, extension shortly would be my guess.

zero chance he signs the number he was embarrassed with. Thinking 8.1-.8.5 with a load of money upfront

Embarrassed with? Grown men being made into multi-millions having fits.

If Sway does sign, his contract should make him take multiple courses on how to deal with adversity lol

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
I don't get The Athletic, so in the context of "The Echo Chamber" how many people voted and do we have anyway of knowing how many were B's fans? That is probably relevant in the % you are using to bolster your argument.
1400+ The polls I believe were only on the Bruins page and not the main NHL page. The Athletic is national so my thinking is the Bruins fans scattered around North America are a little different than Bruins fans in Boston listening to Boston based radio.

Embarrassed with? Grown men being made into multi-millions having fits.

If Sway does sign, his contract should make him take multiple courses on how to deal with adversity lol
Embarrassed not with the offer with the presentation.

Reactions: Greek_physique

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
Got a photo of the rumored trade target the Bruins are considering

SmartSelect_20241004_095428_Picsart.jpg

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I’d just leave the 8x8 offer on the table and go about my business. I can’t imagine offering him a penny more.

Agreed, tell him He can sign today. Or he can forfeit 615K by signing on Oct 16, or 1.2 million by signing Nov 1, and so on. And make it clear this is the offer for the next 2 years and we have no interest in trading you

Reactions: Kegs and Bodit9

the negotiator

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
What a mess as the saga continues

Regardless of how this ends there is one thing I can't ignore.....in May the crowd was chanting Swayman's name while the team skated off the ice ...today a large majority of fans favor the side of management

Say what you want about the job of an agent being to get the most money he can for his client ...it takes a special skill to cause such a crap storm of acrimony, leaks and general bad feelings

I hope Sway signs here (my original guess of 8x8.25 still holds) but it does begin to feel like Sway and his agent are finding a way to win the battle and lose the war

Guelph Bruin

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2015
Thanks for the recap.

On a total side note, I do find the bolded part funny. These "insiders" do like to take themselves seriously. I imagine Frank standing outside TD Garden yelling into the buzzer "hello... hello.... It's Franky Seravalli. Is Donny home?":laugh:
He's likely planted himself in the weekly BMDMD (Boston Management Did Me Dirty) support group meeting listening to Swayman, Spooner, Zboril, Senyshyn, etc talk about how horribly they were handled :)

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008

You keep stating this as a fact but Friedman got information before that. Was that Gross? Was it the Bruins?

Grimey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 4, 2017
He's likely planted himself in the weekly BMDMD (Boston Management Did Me Dirty) support group meeting listening to Swayman, Spooner, Zboril, Senyshyn, etc talk about how horribly they were handled :)
I’d replace Spooner with Khokhlachev - I feel like Spooner had a pretty fair shake and spent ample time next to Krejci and DeBrusk before being traded. He was more engaged physically his last season here which was a big knock on him before that. Khokhlachev complained publically about Julien giving him 5 mins a game on the 4th line.

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
I’ve been saying for many months that if it is long term, Sway will get $9M AAV. The Bruins bungled all this starting with allowing it to get to arbitration last year and yielded far too much leverage to Swayman then and since then (trading ullmark before locking down Swayman etc).

Think back to the run up to arbitration last year. They had a 24 year old goalie they drafted and carefully developed. Intangibles through the roof. Athletic and driven. They knew everything about the guy. Coming off a .920 season with 15GSAA. Yeah, he had only played 100 games or so and hadn’t yet been a sole #1.

Isn’t that the perfect recipe for a 4 year bridge deal? We’ll never know what Swayman would accept, but I bet 4 years $5M AAV gets it done. Other goalies in similar situations have taken a deal like that recently. He hadn’t had the big playoffs yet etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad