Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman: VII - As featured in Episode 3 of Amazon's "FACEOFF: Inside the NHL

How does this saga end?

• Bridge deal

Votes: 53 20.9%
  • Long term deal

Votes: 69 27.3%
  • Trade

Votes: 131 51.8%

• Total voters

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
One could make the argument that we're beating a dead horse here.

So be it. Discuss, if you so choose. We'll keep all the Swayman talk contained to this thread.

If you have nothing meaningful to contribute to the conversation, move along.

We will not have this devolve into thread hijacking and flaming of other posters.

@Gee Wally

We have numerous deletions and more in here. We know tension and emotions are high.
But you folks must simply stop taking personal shots at each. Stay to topic.

If not we will be left with no choice other than adding thread bans.

Last edited:

LiseL

Sponsor
Sep 25, 2023
Like I’ve pointed out plenty of times here, the cap issues come not from signing your best players to fair market deals, but from extending yourself on overpayments to bottom of the roster players. In this case, Korpisalo, Peeke, and Zadorov jump right to the top of the list.

I’m mean shit, would you rather overpay your starting goalie by a little bit or grossly overpay your bottom pairing dmen and your back up goalie? It’s foolhardy to be arguing over a small amount of money for an impact player when you’re paying your bottom pairing nearly $8 mill a year collectively.
Oops, selected post in error.

OConnellsProtege

Nov 23, 2011
After thinking about it for a bit and seeing how all of this has unfolded the past few days... Swayman is giving me Subban vibes. Great at his craft, but his priority appears to be in his name/brand. I could see the goalie hug thing ending up on a cereal box if this was the 90's. I could be wrong and hope I am, but I just can't get that thought out of my head lol.

LiseL

Sponsor
Sep 25, 2023
“Hearing you’re not worthy of what you think you’re worthy of” Wow. Isn’t that what every player hears in arbitration hearings?
It seems he has a big problem when management doesn't agree that he's worth what he thinks he's worth. Seems to be a recurring theme. The first time, he's ignoring the forum/circumstances involved: he wants to be paid more. Bruins want to pay less. As you stated, what did he think would happen? The Bruins would just fold and give him what he wants? If that would've been the case, they would've negotiated the contract before the hearing.

In this circumstance, again, management doesn't agree with what he considers his worth. He doesn't seem to understand that when a team signs a RFA to term, the overall amount will be less that what he might get overall with multiple contracts going forward, but that's because if he doesn't remain healthy or his play declines, they're still on the hook, he still gets paid. Or maybe he "knows" he'll be worth at least $13M by the end of that contract, because you know, he knows what he's worth. Whether he's able to play and/or play well for the entire term, well, that doesn't matter...he's worth it.

For a guy who seems so confident, his self-esteem seems to be easily bruised by contract negotiations that don't go his way.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
It seems he has a big problem when management doesn't agree that he's worth what he thinks he's worth. Seems to be a recurring theme. The first time, he's ignoring the forum/circumstances involved: he wants to be paid more. Bruins want to pay less. As you stated, what did he think would happen? The Bruins would just fold and give him what he wants? If that would've been the case, they would've negotiated the contract before the hearing.

In this circumstance, again, management doesn't agree with what he considers his worth. He doesn't seem to understand that when a team signs a RFA to term, the overall amount will be less that what he might get overall with multiple contracts going forward, but that's because if he doesn't remain healthy or his play declines, they're still on the hook, he still gets paid. Or maybe he "knows" he'll be worth at least $13M by the end of that contract, because you know, he knows what he's worth. Whether he's able to play and/or play well for the entire term, well, that doesn't matter...he's worth it.

For a guy who seems so confident, his self-esteem seems to be easily bruised by contract negotiations that don't go his way.
He’s being a bit of a baby yes. Great goalie. But bit of a baby right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad