Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman: VII - As featured in Episode 3 of Amazon's "FACEOFF: Inside the NHL

How does this saga end?

• Bridge deal

Votes: 53 20.9%
  • Long term deal

Votes: 69 27.3%
  • Trade

Votes: 131 51.8%

• Total voters

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
One could make the argument that we're beating a dead horse here.

So be it. Discuss, if you so choose. We'll keep all the Swayman talk contained to this thread.

If you have nothing meaningful to contribute to the conversation, move along.

We will not have this devolve into thread hijacking and flaming of other posters.

@Gee Wally

We have numerous deletions and more in here. We know tension and emotions are high.
But you folks must simply stop taking personal shots at each. Stay to topic.

If not we will be left with no choice other than adding thread bans.

Last edited:

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK
The actual money paid is not important to most fans, only the cap hit is.
True, it's important to the player though. I guess my point was, there's no scenario where Swayman still gets $64M in actual paid money over 8 years by signing later in the season, and we, the fans, or the team see a cap hit less than $8M in later years of the deal.

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
.2 or .4 million here or there. Sounds worth it to alienate a fanbase like Boston. Do your thing sway. Clown show
He doesn’t give a ****.

I’d say what Boston and their fans feel is low on his priority list…but I genuinely believe he barely thinks about it at all. It’s not even a thing.

Money. Spite. A messed up head full of lies from his agent-from-hell…

This situation is unique.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
He doesn’t give a ****.

I’d say what Boston and their fans feel is low on his priority list…but I genuinely believe he barely thinks about it at all. It’s not even a thing.

Money. Spite. A messed up head full of lies from his agent-from-hell…

This situation is unique.
Oh I think he’s aware and he’s keeping low

he was very popular and likeable and a man about town ~ camps, marathon, concerts …..everybody loves Swayman

He could just flow about - human sunshine.

Now it’s getting a lot of play - negatively

I don’t see how those days come back

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011

he was very popular and likeable and a man about town ~ camps, marathon, concerts …..everybody loves Swayman

This x1000

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida

He, his agent or both are definitely alienating his fan base.

Backs the team to a cup all will be forgiven.

Plays poorly to average and the skate from the bench to the goal will feel like a death march as fans will let him have it.

The fan base can be as brutal as it can be forgiving.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
This x1000
he doesn’t have to be here if he’s so angry and feels done dirty

If he said to them my hearts not in it they will 100% trade him

You don’t have to scream, or insult ~ just say the love is lost

the Bruins will scramble to get decent compensation and Swayman may have to get creative maybe a 1 year deal with his new team with agreement after season when things open up they can do a max deal

That we haven’t heard of a trade request tells me something

The list I gotta admit love - this guy is psycho in a kinda good way

Reminds me of the movie Invincible. The football walk on Vince Papile whose wife I believe left him a note you will never amount to anything and he kept it in his wallet and it just drove him to accomplish his goals

• Haha
Reactions: Pia8988

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008

Going to be a lot of bad backlash either way. I blame Gross and not Swayman. I doubt Swayman put out these statements and videos. Everything is a PR play by Gross. Dude lives up to his namesake.

LiseL

Sponsor
Sep 25, 2023
My point wasn't that he carried them (he was good in '23 and better in '24) but they won with a 10M goalie.
And most other teams have won with goalies who made less, some a lot less. From what I've read, most people are saying he's not worth $9.5-$10M yet with his limited resume, not that you can't win with a $10M goalie.

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)
I guess if you want to be in an echo chamber.

This Swayman thing is the same mentality here as the refereeing,,,the goalposts just always move....Gross fed Chiclets a bunch of stuff to make the Bruins look bad.....well yeah after the 10mil per season rumor the Bruins fed Keefe.... Gross is lying about the 64 mil dollar offer Cam wouldn't lie....what is that you say? It was 60 mil according to EF and 62.5 mil according to Servalli, Oh well Cam was just rounding up.....
Yawn

Reactions: nORRis8

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012

He can turn this around with his play but the dudes gone nuclear at this point.

He’s Mitchell miller and that is hard to do.

Remember when people on here applauded the bruins trading for loathesome scum like maroon Orlov hathaway? I wanted to puke but whatever I despised those guys.

I actually like Jeremy and if he wins will support a zero to hero move. Right now he sucks though. A goalie that misses camp isn’t worth one that shows up. We deserve a deduction. And this isn’t the Defoe days he got offered a good deal.

LiseL

Sponsor
Sep 25, 2023
Can a team can spend 10% over the cap during summer? If so they could have easily offered Swayman in the 3M range in arb and dealt with it and not started the animosity
that as led to the real possibility of going from Swayman\Ullmark to Korpisalo\Bussi.

Ottawa last year had a better tandem...lol.
If you think their offer of mid $3M for one year was not fair, then OK, I get your point. But what changes should management have done last summer to make the room? Weren't they up to the cap?

Also, could anyone predict that Swayman would still be smarting from arbitration one year later? Isn't it ironic that he's the one who filed for arbitration, not management. Isn't it common knowledge that management tries to pay the least while the player tries to get the most and the outcome is usually somewhere in the middle? He stated he didn't like the comparables they used or some of the comments they made. What did he expect them to say: he's the best, we want him here long-term, he's our future. What are the odds the result wouldn't have gone totally in his favor if they didn't downplay his performance? Shouldn't his agent have prepared him beforehand? It's not like arbitration is something new.

Doesn't the fact they traded Ullmark and are offering him the $64M contract to keep him here long-term tell them how they really feel?

If he's still smarting from the arbitration one year ago, what's the likelihood he'll ever get over this contract negotiation?

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
If you think their offer of mid $3M for one year was not fair, then OK, I get your point. But what changes should management have done last summer to make the room? Weren't they up to the cap?

Also, could anyone predict that Swayman would still be smarting from arbitration one year later? Isn't it ironic that he's the one who filed for arbitration, not management. Isn't it common knowledge that management tries to pay the least while the player tries to get the most and the outcome is usually somewhere in the middle? He stated he didn't like the comparables they used or some of the comments they made. What did he expect them to say: he's the best, we want him here long-term, he's our future. What are the odds the result wouldn't have gone totally in his favor if they didn't downplay his performance? Shouldn't his agent have prepared him beforehand? It's not like arbitration is something new.

Doesn't the fact they traded Ullmark and are offering him the $64M contract to keep him here long-term tell them how they really feel?

If he's still smarting from the arbitration one year ago, what's the likelihood he'll ever get over this contract negotiation?
IMG_2020.gif

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
You should really rethink this.

A guy using what he's allowed to use under the CBA to get the best deal isn't equivalent to a racist bully who harassed, assaulted and used the n word numerous times over a period of years.

Like seriously.... an awful awful comparison.

Last edited:

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
You should really rethink this.

A guy using what he's allowed to use under the CBA to get the best deal isn't equivalent to a racist bully how harassed, assaulted and used the n word numerous times over a period of years.

Like seriously.... an awful awful comparison.
Ha I read and said um …..whoa

pearljamvs5

Jun 19, 2011
He can turn this around with his play but the dudes gone nuclear at this point.

Remember when people on here applauded the bruins trading for loathesome scum like maroon Orlov hathaway? I wanted to puke but whatever I despised those guys.

I actually like Jeremy and if he wins will support a zero to hero move. Right now he sucks though. A goalie that misses camp isn’t worth one that shows up. We deserve a deduction. And this isn’t the Defoe days he got offered a good deal.
In absolutely no way is Jeremy Swayman even remotely comparable to Mitchell Miller. :help: :help:

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
@DominicT - need a life line here. Apologies but can you explain the cap hit if for example he signs 8x8 later ? I thought as the season goes by it actually is worse?
But admitted not my strongpoint or understanding.
I was thinking about this and it feels like it will actually be fine as long as we leave 8 mil or so open banking cap dollars in the time he is out. It should more then cover for the increased percentage.

There you go……80/20 rule (yes, I rounded up) I didn’t vote so would have been higher
I guess I was wrong. Everybody is siding with the Bruins. Interesting.

LiseL

Sponsor
Sep 25, 2023
I missed what Sweeney had to say about Cam's lie, he undoubtedly rushed to his defense, or maybe Charlie and confirmed that was a standing offer and Gross was lying about never seeing it....Can you post the link for me I can't seem to find it.

the mental gymnastics on minimizing Bob's contributions the past three seasons isn't something I thought I would see here
I'm not minimizing his contributions or Vasi for that matter, just that there were 3 lower tier goalies who also won cups in the last 6 years. Even top tier goalies don't always have the best numbers which is the point I was trying to make.

Does it help that you have a top tier goalie? Sure. Do you have to have a top tier goalie to win the cup? No. Each winner has to have the right pieces in their line-up, their goalie has to be on his game during the playoffs, and there's sometimes a bit of luck involved. Colorado, Vegas and St-Louis are proof of that.

Bottom line it seems Boston brass doesn't want to dish out that kind of money on their RFA goalie based on his sample size. The fans may disagree but I think most NHL teams have internal budgets they follow, and try to stick to, in the cap world. I wonder who's going to blink first?

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I was thinking about this and it feels like it will actually be fine as long as we leave 8 mil or so open banking cap dollars in the time he is out. It should more then cover for the increased percentage.

I guess I was wrong. Everybody is siding with the Bruins. Interesting.
You can’t be this guy in Boston. Especially if you’re the goalie.

• Haha
Reactions: Pia8988

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad