Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman: VII- As featured in Episode 3 of Amazon's "FACEOFF: Inside the NHL

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

How does this saga end?

• Bridge deal

Votes: 53 21.3%
  • Long term deal

Votes: 67 26.9%
  • Trade

Votes: 129 51.8%

• Total voters

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
One could make the argument that we're beating a dead horse here.

So be it. Discuss, if you so choose. We'll keep all the Swayman talk contained to this thread.

If you have nothing meaningful to contribute to the conversation, move along.

We will not have this devolve into thread hijacking and flaming of other posters.

@Gee Wally

We have numerous deletions and more in here. We know tension and emotions are high.
But you folks must simply stop taking personal shots at each. Stay to topic.

If not we will be left with no choice other than adding thread bans.

Last edited:

LiseL

Sponsor
Sep 25, 2023
Of course they do. I think it's been pretty well established they got Korpi back as a way to get into the 1st round, I'm sure hedging for a situation like this was a secondary reason as well.

I'm talking about the fact you think they moved to plan B because Sway decided to "treat it like a business." No other player prior to him treated negotiations like a business?

I'm sure your entire being is fighting saying anything that isnt negative about management but a part of you has to know that Sway and his agent are playing just as much a part in the breakdown in negotiations here.

8 x 8.5 mil and let's all just move and be happy(ish) again
As a Sens fan, IMO I think they took Korpi because the Sens didn't have the cap space to keep him and Ullmark so it was Korpi or no deal. I also think Boston probably agreed as it provided some insurance in case Bussi wasn't ready to be a full-time back-up. If this contract issue with Swayman doesn't get resolved and Korpi does well with coach Bob's help + team defense structure, that trade will have worked out quite well for both sides. Who could've seen this coming?

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
I hope this gets worked out soon and doesn't drag into the season becoming a distraction. It really does seem like the agent/player are trying to squeeze every dollar they can.... which is well within their rights. He turns 26 next month. This might be his one and only big pay day. Have to get it right. I'm assuming this was the negotiation plan after Ullmark was officially gone. That was their leverage.

I don't suspect the Bruins front office will cave. If anything, the opposite. The longer this goes, the messier it will get. It's really not worth it. There has to be some compromise from both parties. Too close to let this blow up. Neither side will benefit from that.

Reactions: lopey and Gordoff

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
But you said better. And when I pointed out that was not true, you changed the argument to similar numbers and qualified it.

You know what is interesting though? Through age 25 the most games Saros started was 35. Swayman has already started more games than that at the same age. And the only reason Sway didn’t start more is because they had another top notch tender in Ullmark. That was a strength so why wouldn’t you use it? But to hold that against a guy is silly.

Would you find it interesting that Saros was also playing behind a top notch Vezina level goaltender and the type of deal he signed for his third pro contract when it looked like he was the heir apparent?

Better resume? Where? More games, sure. Better resume? Nah. Sway has a better winning%, better GAA, and better sv%. Other than you know all of that, Saros is better, if you say so.

Saros has 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 7th place finishes for the Vezina. He's also lead the league in games played for three straight years. He's proven to be a workhorse. Yes, that's a better resume.

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)
I hope this gets worked out soon and doesn't drag into the season becoming a distraction. It really does seem like the agent/player are trying to squeeze every dollar they can.... which is well within their rights. He turns 26 next month. This might be his one and only big pay day. Have to get it right. I'm assuming this was the negotiation plan after Ullmark was officially gone. That was their leverage.

I don't suspect the Bruins front office will cave. If anything, the opposite. The longer this goes, the messier it will get. It's really not worth it. There has to be some compromise from both parties. Too close to let this blow up. Neither side will benefit from that.
Yeah, wouldn’t want to get shafted by accepting a measly $64m payday. Kid’s not careful he might end-up back in Anchorage pumping gas with his UMaine business degre. . . I mean online courses.

I see a lot of posts here quoting statistics on what he deserves or doesn't....all I know is that statistics show that 50 percent of statistics are bull crap
So are 50% of all posts.

• Haha

Ludwig Fell Down

Feb 19, 2005
South Shore, MA
I see a lot of posts here quoting statistics on what he deserves or doesn't....all I know is that statistics show that 50 percent of statistics are bull crap
If you back it up with a pie chart, a statistic is 77% accurate. Just check out the light blue and orange.

Attachments

• Pie Chart.jpg
    Pie Chart.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 1
  • Haha
Reactions: lopey

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
It is stunning to me how many people want a bridge deal with swayman so we can get to the Saros deal type deal where you end up paying 7.75 million in his age 33, 34, 35, 36.

I’d rather give swayman an 8 year contract is his prime than a bridge deal where we are paying him into his mid to late 30s
How do you know if you really are committed to him after a bridge deal, you at least have an option to move on. In addition, it gives you time to develop other proven goalie prospects.

The Un4casted Storm

May 14, 2015
Vancouver, Canada
For what it's worth, if Swayman hasn't signed by the start of the season, I think he's likely played his last game as a Bruin. This negotiation seems to have gotten very personal (not business-like at all ironically) and, for better or worse, I think this management group is too proud and too stubborn to cave in the way the Leafs did with Nylander.

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
It is stunning to me how many people want a bridge deal with swayman so we can get to the Saros deal type deal where you end up paying 7.75 million in his age 33, 34, 35, 36.

I’d rather give swayman an 8 year contract is his prime than a bridge deal where we are paying him into his mid to late 30s
It use to be said that goalies didn't hit their prime until around 29/30 yrs of age. Many continue to play well at age 35, 36 a few even longer.

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
If Swayman asks for a trade do the pro-Swayman people turn into the anti-Debrusk people?

Sounds crybabyish to be honest, especially after you leaked (not said directly) that the Bruins GM is incompetent.
Not sure what the first sentence means

Here's one for you. If the bruins go from Ullmark and Swayman to korpi and patera do the management lovers finally criticize them?

Last edited:

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
Would you find it interesting that Saros was also playing behind a top notch Vezina level goaltender and the type of deal he signed for his third pro contract when it looked like he was the heir apparent?

Saros has 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 7th place finishes for the Vezina. He's also lead the league in games played for three straight years. He's proven to be a workhorse. Yes, that's a better resume.
What round has Saros lead the preds to? I know the bruins are a regular season fanbase but shouldn’t he have won one even by accident by now?

I do think Swayman would have signed something similar to Saros last summer before he was the 1 and the playoffs pumped his value.

Last edited:

LiseL

Sponsor
Sep 25, 2023
they came in at 2mil to purposely lower the number he would get. Lower than Daniel Vladar lol.

But go ahead and say it's business.....sure is...just like Swayman is doing now.
In management's defense, both times they were offering the cap room they had available. Read somewhere that before arbritration, they offered him something in the mid $3 range, he wanted something in the $4 range. I guess management knew how arbitration works and Gross didn't. I believe they low-balled and took the 1 year option as they knew the result would be in the $3's based on past experience. Gross should've realized that arbitration wouldn't get them $4+ and that the team would make him sound more average that he is. That's the way the game is played. A team can only spend what it has available to spend without either trading away an asset or not playing with a full roster. He also hadn't really proven himself at that point, their offer in the $3's for one year wasn't an insult IMO.

This time, the Bruins kept $8-$8.5 in cap room with a full roster. This time, they didn't choose the arbitration option to try to keep his salary down. According to Cam's statement, they are pretty much offering him the room they have, keeping a little bit to have some flexibility. It's certainly not a low-ball offer, very fair IMO based on his current resume. People can say that cap room isn't a player's problem, but it's a factor in the real world.

Shane Pinto faced a similar situation last year, well worse because our dumb GM at the time, Dorion, didn't have any cap room to sign him above league minimum. Then he was suspended for half the season and ended up taking the league minimum deal for the rest of the season as that was the cap space new owner/GM had to work with. His bridge contract this past summer was for 2 years, with the 2nd year paying him $5 million which means his next QO has to start with a 5 if I understand the process correctly. I think Pinto knew the pickle they were in and worked with management to come up with a viable solution. Ironically, Gross is also his agent but it is the player that has control so I guess Pinto must've been involved with the negotiations. I think he also appreciated that the Sens management team supported him throughout that ordeal.

If Swayman doesn't want a long-term deal under $70 million, then he should negotiate a bridge deal for 4 years and get his big pay day when he's a UFA. I know there are 2 comparables for the $9 million deal for an RFA goalie, but not all GMs are willing to pay top dollar for an RFA goalie with a small sample size. It doesn't make them bad GMs if the # they do offer is fair. He wants the big payday now and have the Bruins take on all of the risk if his performance declines or he gets injured a lot, and his contract becomes an albatross. Not likely to happen, but it can happen, especially with goalies. This stalemate isn't all on management IMO.

Last edited:

LiseL

Sponsor
Sep 25, 2023
I wouldn't offer him 64 that's for sure. That kind of money goes to a sure thing bonafied star. I'd set my watch to him not living up to that deal
I hear ya. The sens gave out five $8 x 8 contracts to RFA's under Dorion's tenure. So far, 3 are working out (Sanderson, Stutzle, Brady) but the other 2, not so much (Chabot, Norris). Norris is due to injury, he got his contract after one 35 goal season. He's been out with injuries ever since. If his latest 3rd shoulder surgery finally fixes the problem, then his contract will be OK, but Chabot hasn't looked very good in years and he's also injury prone. Sorry for the tangent, just agreeing that offering RFAs term can backfire.

Reactions: Gordoff

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022

100 percent. Spend 9 mil aav now instead of 32 mil then for trash years. They already need to worry about Lindholm, Lindholm and Zadorov

Last edited:
Reactions: KillerMillerTime

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad