• Long term deal

Votes: 89 30.3%
  • Trade

Votes: 147 50.0%

• Total voters

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
One could make the argument that we're beating a dead horse here.

So be it. Discuss, if you so choose. We'll keep all the Swayman talk contained to this thread.

If you have nothing meaningful to contribute to the conversation, move along.

We will not have this devolve into thread hijacking and flaming of other posters.

@Gee Wally

We have numerous deletions and more in here. We know tension and emotions are high.
But you folks must simply stop taking personal shots at each. Stay to topic.

If not we will be left with no choice other than adding thread bans.

Last edited:

Grimey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 4, 2017
I'm not the one claiming this was calculated genius by Cam. It's hilarious the spinning that can happen
I apologize to the mods in advance, this is my last post in this thread but this is all I see

Pro-management crowd:
IMG_0694.gif

Pro-Swayman crowd:
IMG_0694.gif

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
I believe both goalies are elite, and one advantage Swayman has is his youth compared to Ullmark. However, I'm genuinely pleased for you all since the Bruins are my secondary team. My fandom began in the '80s, largely due to Bourque and Neely, as well as a shared disdain for the Habs and Leafs.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Swayman is not going to be ready for a couple of weeks. Bruins need Korpisalo.
I'm certain someone's made the point that unlike Elias Lindholm, who can skip a large portion of training camp and the preseason without missing too much, practice repetitions and game action are critical for goaltenders.

Swayman is of course behind and must get up to speed quickly without overdoing it.

I'm sure he will, but it will take time. No need to rush this early in the season.

For that reason, I expect to see Korpisalo in net opening night. (Montgomery said he would get the start last week.)

Maybe against Montreal as well.

A cautious Drake Maye approach is in order.

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
If the Bruins want to pay him 66 mil that's their business.
Personally I think he's proven and earned the right to be paid 8 x 8.25.
Other fan bases probably thought this was their problem, but Boston exceeded their already underwhelming and extremely ungenerous offer and now this is just Boston's problem.
What Swayman's camp did has the potential to make this young man's career and reputation now that he signed a contract.

A quick note to Mr Swayman (or family/friends of his who will have him read this) ...

I'm going to root for the Bruins only if you are a part of the team.
I am a fan of you regardless of if you're a Bruin or not.
I am a fan of you playing goal.
I wanted you in goal for the playoffs last spring.
You have shown to have great potential going forward.
I'm glad you risked your career to get a better contract.
Many of your fans will never know or come close to earning the money you have already earned in your career.
You are alienating a very miniscule, insignificant, tiny minority of your vocal fanbase.
Many feel you are reasonable, deserving, humble, and flexible with your demands.
Additionally, many feel you aren't hurting the success of the overall team by fighting for what you deserve and are a team player. It's how they feel, rightfully or not.

Listen carefully...
I'm a grumpy new school liberal caucasian atheist male who has had everything handed to him in life. Yeah, that's where I'm coming from, I expect everything from others and feel they owe me everything. I am not thankful, nor grateful, for anything I have earned in my life, nor received from others. I'll be damned if I would give some older, probably entitled and mislead, Potentially over-the-hill goalie such a potential career Damaging massive contract versus a young goalie that has Proved his Maturity to handle the position's responsibilities by Demonstrating his Ability through ascending and Sustaining league dominance in his chosen position overal Several seasons. I would be at fault for nurturing such entitlement and enabling precious conceited veterans.

Thankfully, you are the LONE star on this team keeping everyone else afloat in the playoffs, that management finally recognized it. You win and lose as a team, but a goalie will make that team look significantly better or worse than it is. Your goalie stats are directly proportional to the team in front of you and aren't reflective of you as a goalie. Without you, they wouldn't be a playoff team and wouldn't be where they are today...standing at the threshold of a middling playoff team.

I'm not saying this is your intention (because I dont know you), but you are showing signs of standing strong, by demading something you've rightfully earned, which is a sign of a emotionally stable, strong willed adult who thinks he deserves to get paid what he is worth. You've established your worth by having the Balls to go out there and earn it. You've done it once, and I believe - you can do it again. Put doubters to shame and continue to garner respect from your peers. It's a dog eat dog world and you're making the other team's pucks your milkbone and you'll chew them up and spit them back out. The world is a very mean and competitive place and there is always going to be someone on an internet forum who thinks they are better then you and is going to want to take away what you have. Be proud that you got paid what you deserve.

No disrespect but, other players are dumbasses for not fighting for their worth. Do you really want to be going into a season being paid less than you're worth and have your value drop? It will be like screwing yourself over and making less money and having to prove yourself again even though you already have. Who knows how long it will take, or if you even get the chance. You signed that damn contract and now you can go out and prove it to the paying public.

Do I sound pissed? I am. Boys should be raised the way their parents think is right. Men of compassion, empathy, confidence, self-respect, and self-worth. Men of equality, equity, and respect. Not people who say 'yeah but what about me?'. Such as, to be paid like a player who carried a mediocre team to game 7 against the cup champs a year after the team blew a 3-1 series lead by going with a lesser goalie when they could have won a cup.

8x8.25 is a great contract, I hope you realize that. It would be one thing if Bruins management offered you that amount uncoerced. But still they have offered it to you, maybe not in the way you would have liked, but they have offered. And damnit, you took it. It's a very good look. Do the right thing, stand up for your self-worth.

If you hadn't signed by the start of the season, I would have supported you sitting out. And if I were you, I would have expected the management to try and cheap out and offer you less, much less, while that sat floundering with Korpisalo at a 3+ GAA and 890 sv% and trying to polish a turd in net as acceptable. At least being the grumpy young bastard I am that's what I would expect them to do. But I am just one fan of the team and as it stands now, I'm an even bigger fan of you Jeremy.
Love it. Well played.

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
So it's done, after all that. It's a big contract, fair amount of risk for the Bruins, but I think it will prove to be a good deal. Very few players in this league get to skip the 'show me' deal before they get made. Sway has just about joined that club, having had to spend only one year on a smaller arbitrated contract. For any young player, and especially a goalie, that's a fantastic result.

Essentially Sway has bet on himself, considers himself elite, thinks he's done enough to prove it. The latter is very disputable, but the important think is I think he's right. Now he's got to go out and back it up. The stakes have been raised - he shows he can put up the big numbers and performances while handling a 50+ game workload plus playoffs, and all of the contract wrangling will be forgotten pretty quickly. But if he falters, the noise around him is going to get loud. So be it.

I've lost a bit of respect for Sway in all this - I think some of the negotiating tactics from his side have been unseemly, and I don't buy that a guy as savvy as Sway can just hide behind his agent - and I feel like he over-reached a bit in digging his heels in for McAvoy-type money for as long as he did when he probably hadn't yet done enough to earn that position. He's an odder cat than I first thought. But goalies are weird, we know this, and end of the day Sway is a Bruin, and for the sake of the team if nothing else I want to see him perform well and, as I've said all along, I think he will. If he is being paid at least to some extent on potential, I'm confident he'll fulfil it, and barring injury, the money and term will look very good for Boston in the end.

Main thing is, we can finally move on, and get into the season proper without this major albatross hanging around. Let's go!!

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
I figured it would be 8.5 so this fits. Don’t love it but hopefully he can handle the extra time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad