Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman -VI President Cam Speaks: Monty, Donny, & Charlie too!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Mod edit: @smithformeragent

As this situation continues to drag on:

Please keep the conversation pertinent to the topic and avoid making it personal.

Debate about the management of the salary cap and the performance of the general manager fits into the context of the conversation, but we’ll avoid dividing fans into camps like “pro-player” and “team apologist”.

Thanks!

Continue if you must. No flaming!

Last edited by a moderator:

Bodit9

Sponsor
Oct 22, 2016
Upstate NY
All I say is this........

When you consider that over the first 7 years of the deal with a quickly rising salary cap, 25-26 year old Jeremy Swayman would earn a mere 1.75 million more than 29-30 year old Elias Lindholm, that makes the offer of 8 million per a bit of a joke.

This isn't Jeremy Swayman vs. Patrice Bergeron here. He's not being compared to a franchise cornerstone.

A few days ago I posted where Swayman was ranked by the media experts on TSN and SN on their respective Top 50 lists, where was ranked as high as the 3rd best goaltender in the league, and no lower than 5th.

Does Elias Lindholm even make their Top 100? Probably not.

I don't care about UFA vs. RFA, leverage or whatever. It's about five years from now with a cap over 100 million, a 29 year old Swayman sitting in the dressing room and looking over a 33 year old declining Lindholm and saying "I make just $250,000 more than that guy, what the &^%$".

Just think about that, you have a situation where Swayman at 29 could possibly be the best goaltender on the planet, and he is earning essentially the same amount as a guy who basically an above-average two-way center whose best years are long gone.

Taking care of aging above-average talents like Lindholm and Zadorov at the expense of your younger elite talents is the exact reverse opposite of how you manage NHL teams in the salary cap era. Take care of your elite talent in their prime, figure out the rest after. We are 20 years into the salary cap era and there are a few hard truths about managing the cap that I think are written in stone, and taking care of your elite young core talent entering their prime is rarely a mistake. History has proven that. The risk IMO is minimal.

Signing above-average aging talents to long-term deals is a far, far greater risk and the Bruins don't seem to mind going there based on their moves this summer.

Sadly I believe we have seen the last of Jeremy Swayman in a Bruins uniform. And I believe in Jeremy Swayman. I think he is that damn good. I guess Don and Cam don't. My guess is we are about to see another one of those trades (like Thornton, like Seguin, like Hamilton) where the rest of the hockey world laughs at the Bruins.

Again.
Most people are laughing at Swayman being ridiculous.

Reactions: BMC and PlayMakers

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
A swing and a miss.
He answered a question. Hardly crying. Plus players and agents across the league know it’s a business and who may be worth what. I think you have it ass backwards about who doesnt look here. And I hardly ever say that in 60 years when it comes to Bruins management.

A swing and a miss for you too.

You can’t have it both ways Wally. If Neely is only answering a question then so wasn’t swayman in that interview.

But sure continue on!

Reactions: Pia8988

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
He went into a shitload of detail about what happened in arbitration last year. He should have kept that shit to himself. That whole thing started this entire situation and it didn't need to. Save the tell all shit for your memoir after you help the Bruins win the cup.
He acted like a rookie.

I am not sure what the problem is and may never know but it SOUNDS like it is Sway's agent and him.

Bs had Linus signed for another year...should have kept him (IMO)

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
If the Bruins are seriously willing to go to 8/64 then this should be over and done, and there should be no sympathy for Swayman. I like the kid, but that is an incredibly generous and fair offer. And realistically right on the precipice as as high as it can go with the Bruins still being able to field a hockey team this year

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Swayman has terrible options at this point and the Bruins need to play hardball. This is how I would respond:

Give Swayman two offers ($8x8) and ($7x3). Tell him the financial terms are best and final. The offers remain on the table until one or both are revoked or Dec. 1. We will wait to hear from you.

When Swayman asks for a trade, tell him you will trade him only when you get the same value you would get for McAvoy.

Do NOT trade Swayman for anything you can get just so he can sign a $9 mill/year contract elsewhere (presuming any teams is willing to do that). That is just doing a favor to Swayman and rewarding this tactic.

Be prepared to let Swayman sit or play in Europe for two years. He'd be an idiot to play in the KHL with the political climate. He can play in Sweden where the highest paid player gets less than $500,000 per year and taxes are brutal. So he loses $15 million that he will never get back, two years of NHL hockey in his prime and then he probably has to prove himself all over again in the NHL on a short-term deal when he becomes a UFA. This is to say nothing of the risk of injury during his period of exile.

Reactions: khanomcat

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
Amazing you don’t see the difference here.

The Bruins aren’t going to do less than 4 Wally. That would be inexcusable asset management.
The difference is both sides have been using the media and then Neely decided to go unprofessional and nuked it. “We really want Jeremy regardless of the fact he’s a greedy person. Be sure to cheer him on regardless after we sign it”

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Most people are laughing at Swayman being ridiculous.

The only thing I'm laughing at these days is the opinion of Bruins fans. It's comical to see them praise Lindholm's contract but draw a hard line with Swayman for essentially the same deal.

I know a lot of non-Bruins fans and they are having a great time seeing the Bruins bumble and fumble this situation with their young franchise netminder.

• Wow
Reactions: Ladyfan and ON3M4N

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
1727715236179.png

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
If Lewis Gross called a news conference and said we can’t get the Bruins off their 6.5 mil per or their insistence of an 8 year term or whatever the management team acolytes would be going nuts

I mean swayman definitely sounded bad complaining in that interview, but bruins management opening talking about it and having Neely say “oh there’s $64 million reasons why swayman should be playing”

Then when talking about the figure Neely chiming in saying he was surprised.

I don’t think this is a good look for anyone involved. Everyone acting like a bunch of children.

Everyone was fawning over Marchand saying he keep contract negotiations private.

But now those same people love bruins management speaking about swaymans contract demands in a degrogatory manner.

Bodit9

Sponsor
Oct 22, 2016
Upstate NY
The only thing I'm laughing at these days is the opinion of Bruins fans. It's comical to see them praise Lindholm's contract but draw a hard line with Swayman for essentially the same deal.

I know a lot of non-Bruins fans and they are having a great time seeing the Bruins bumble and fumble this situation with their young franchise netminder.
How are people not understanding the differences between players and contract status? Lindholm is a center and UFA. Swayman is a goalie and RFA. Their markets are totally different and yet you're comparing them. Nonsense. $8Mx8 is a great offer with his resume. Swayman is being ridiculous.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad