Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman -VI President Cam Speaks: Monty, Donny, & Charlie too!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Mod edit: @smithformeragent

As this situation continues to drag on:

Please keep the conversation pertinent to the topic and avoid making it personal.

Debate about the management of the salary cap and the performance of the general manager fits into the context of the conversation, but we’ll avoid dividing fans into camps like “pro-player” and “team apologist”.

Thanks!

Continue if you must. No flaming!

Last edited by a moderator:

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
What if I told you between regular season & playoffs last year he started 55 games?
You are playing games with the numbers doing that and you know it, the idea is to play 55 games and then go into the playoffs and hopefully able to hold up for a long and strong run.

Reactions: YukonCornelius

Boston Bruno

Mostly not serious input..
Nov 2, 2002
Calgary

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    6 KB · Views: 1

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
And why is that? You’re nearly there…
Lonnie I actually agree with you on Coyle but let's be fair. 2 words can explain why he didn't get time as a top 2 Center.

Bergeron
Krejci

as far as top 6 in general my opinion is he is worth way more as a center vs a wing to the Team. however at most I see him as a 3rd line center guy and a fill in for 2nd line when injury's happen. He actually did better than I expected last year playing in the top 6. I just don't feel he has the consistent finish to be up there. steaks over the years yes. consistent no.

as far a swayman. another day of waiting.

Reactions: BMC and LSCII

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Korpi coming in hot like "oh you thought you had leverage, Sway?"

oh wow...he can look serviceable against AHL'ers. Start the duckboats

Lonnie I actually agree with you on Coyle but let's be fair. 2 words can explain why he didn't get time as a top 2 Center.

Bergeron
Krejci

as far as top 6 in general my opinion is he is worth way more as a center vs a wing to the Team. however at most I see him as a 3rd line center guy and a fill in for 2nd line when injury's happen. He actually did better than I expected last year playing in the top 6. I just don't feel he has the consistent finish to be up there. steaks over the years yes. consistent no.

That, and the only thing about him as a player that is a Top 2 center is his AAV

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

Bergeron
Krejci

Not exactly accurate. The year DK took his ball and went home to cry because Cassidy was a meanie, they wanted and needed Coyle to step up and take his spot. And they tried to get him to do it but he sucked. To the point where Erik Haula outplayed him and took over 2nd line center duties. Erik f***ing Haula.

So in reality, my statement that Coyle has done it once and that last year is the outlier in his career is accurate. And him repeating his production from last season is even more crucial now that the production from the net is not looking as solid as it was last year. This is why the team playing games with Swayman is a foolhardy idea. You’re weaker up front. You’re weaker in net. You added some depth to your d but overpaid for it, and you need guys to slot up and play above their actual normal roles above and beyond what they did last year to cover up the drop off in net play.

It’s not a good spot to be in and shit can easily go sideways. It’s also a funny dynamic that most fans only think players operate on an upward trajectory, especially when they’re coming off a career year.

On an unrelated note, it’s great seeing you back posting here. Your insight and views were greatly missed.

Midship

Jan 7, 2016
Still waiting for the trade announcement. Zero interest in setting the goalie market for any player, let alone one who has never carried the load of a #1 net minder.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
Not exactly accurate. The year DK took his ball and went home to cry because Cassidy was a meanie, they wanted and needed Coyle to step up and take his spot. And they tried to get him to do it but he sucked. To the point where Erik Haula outplayed him and took over 2nd line center duties. Erik f***ing Haula.

So in reality, my statement that Coyle has done it once and that last year is the outlier in his career is accurate. And him repeating his production from last season is even more crucial now that the production from the net is not looking as solid as it was last year. This is why the team playing games with Swayman is a foolhardy idea. You’re weaker up front. You’re weaker in net. You added some depth to your d but overpaid for it, and you need guys to slot up and play above their actual normal roles above and beyond what they did last year to cover up the drop off in net play.

It’s not a good spot to be in and shit can easily go sideways. It’s also a funny dynamic that most fans only think players operate on an upward trajectory, especially when they’re coming off a career year.

On an unrelated note, it’s great seeing you back posting here. Your insight and views were greatly missed.

Good point that year krejci took off totally slipped my mind in relation to coyle.

And thanks its nice to know you were missing me especially since most it the time you and I disagree on things. But we always have fun debating

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
I’m going to guess if anything is to get done before the start of the season, it would be in the next 48 hours or less.
Two preseason games left and the season starts in a few days. Not looking good.

Reactions: Saxon Eric

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Only 8 more days until the start of the season. It's not a good situation for Swayman and the Bruins to be in if Swayman expects to play this season. Goaltenders aren't forwards that can sign mid-season and play without too many issues.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
What if I told you between regular season & playoffs last year he started 55 games?

Nope.

IMO by having a lighter regular season workload Swayman came into the playoffs fresher & probably healthier (everybody's dinged up come playoff time) which helped him go on that run.

I want to see how he does in the playoffs after playing 55-60 games before the Bruins hand him $ 9.5-10 million a year.

Reactions: PeanutButter37

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Nope.

IMO by having a lighter regular season workload Swayman came into the playoffs fresher & probably healthier (everybody's dinged up come playoff time) which helped him go on that run.

I want to see how he does in the playoffs after playing 55-60 games before the Bruins hand him $ 9.5-10 million a year.

Let's really think about this though. To get to 55 start in the regular season he needed 12 more games last year. The regular season is ~6 months long. That's an extra two starts a month.....are we really concerned that those extra two starts a month are going to wear him down to the point where he's not fresh enough for the playoffs?

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
I’m going to guess if anything is to get done before the start of the season, it would be in the next 48 hours or less.
Two preseason games left and the season starts in a few days. Not looking good.
After Korpi getting named the opening night starter, I'm hoping it moves the needle. If Sway signs now, there might be a chance he'll get the home opener vs. Montreal but those chances are slipping.

Reactions: ranold26 and BMC

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)
Watching Pats game with a good sized group at the home of my cousin and lot of Swayman talk.

Hilarious how everyone on same page ~ they want him, they want on long term, they want around 8, they don’t think he should get 10 or even 9. These are pretty hard core folks.

So what’s the delay ? Is Sway brain washed by his agent he spoke glowingly like ?

He’s losing the PR battle as well

Basically agree
4/30
6/50
8/64

Like going out to eat with kids

‘Pick F’n one’!!!!!!!

Gotta be more to this

Seems resolvable in 5 minutes
Sure, but for the umpteenth time (but why not? Everyone else has been repeating themselves as nauseam across five threads), we don’t know who it is that won’t go to $8m. Many assume that it’s Swayman, but it could just as easily be Sweeney who won’t budge, or won’t budge much, off of the initial offer of $6.2 (if that indeed even was the initial offer).

My point is, and has always been, that while $8(ish) seems like it should be the magic number, we don’t know which side, if either, is refusing to meet in the middle. Again, again, again, it could be one or it could be both. We just don’t know. It can’t be neither though or it would already be done. So there’s no point picking sides until and unless we do know. And there’s certainly no reason to be constantly attacking one another based on guesses and assumptions and misinformation. Like many, I am sick of the whole thing. Get ‘er done boys!

Hazelwig

Feb 24, 2023
Everyone talks about $8.5M - $9.5M long term starting now would be "crippling the team" and that he needs to prove a full workload and #1 status before getting paid but if he signs short term for less and does well and asks for a deserved $10 or $11M in 3 years, won't he still be "crippling the team", and not leaving money for the rest of the lineup for the next 8? What would be the right amount in 3 years if all goes well? Wouldn't it be better to still have him at $8.5M for all those back end years? Since all of us believe he could be the long term answer to great goaltending stability, isn't that a safer bet than worrying that we'd have to match a $10M or $11M deal in 4 years? Or should we look for the next Korpisalo in a few years?
This is a fair point, but I have to think that most teams manage by cap % vs $$. if 8.5m is ~10% of the cap in 2024 and the cap moves +5% each year, then by 2028 $10.5m will be the same cap % share. And, the lower years allows you to cut bait easier if Swayman turns out to be unable to sustain his success over 55 games + playoffs for four years. Goalies are super weird and Swayman just simply has not proven he's "the guy" for the next 8 years. I imagine Sweeney and Evan Gold have a deep strategy on how to manage a team that will not be getting a top 15 pick in the next four years and they don;t want the massive wildcard of a goalie screwing up their plans. If they're dedicated to it, that means negotiating hard or unfortunately, a trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad