Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman -VI President Cam Speaks: Monty, Donny, & Charlie too!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Mod edit: @smithformeragent

As this situation continues to drag on:

Please keep the conversation pertinent to the topic and avoid making it personal.

Debate about the management of the salary cap and the performance of the general manager fits into the context of the conversation, but we’ll avoid dividing fans into camps like “pro-player” and “team apologist”.

Thanks!

Continue if you must. No flaming!

Last edited by a moderator:

HuskyBruinPride

Aug 1, 2011
Fair to start speculating what the return on a trade might look like?

Do you make a move looking to improve this year's club, or do you accept futures?
I think you can live with futures. Take whatever is the best deal on the table. Problem is the market probably won't be too lucrative this close to opening night when most teams have their plans set and Swayman is looking for the sun and the moon.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
If the Bruins are seriously willing to go to 8/64 then this should be over and done, and there should be no sympathy for Swayman. I like the kid, but that is an incredibly generous and fair offer. And realistically right on the precipice as as high as it can go with the Bruins still being able to field a hockey team this year
8/64 is a overpayment, sorry get him the hell out here.

Reactions: lopey and Bridges31

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
Has anyone reached out to the captain to get his feelings on his team president negotiating through the media? I know he’s not a fan

Reactions: HustleB

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Bad look by Swayman and/or his agent for pushing the narrative of being lowballed when Swayman is the one looking for more than he's shown he deserves while he has perfectly fair offer on the table

How do we know that they weren't being lowballed? Just because Neely came out today and said $64 million doesn't mean that offer had been on the table from the start.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
The only thing I'm laughing at these days is the opinion of Bruins fans. It's comical to see them praise Lindholm's contract but draw a hard line with Swayman for essentially the same deal.

I know a lot of non-Bruins fans and they are having a great time seeing the Bruins bumble and fumble this situation with their young franchise netminder.
Do you think the deal for sway will get signed soon? @BruinDust . (I respect your answer on this as you are an excellent poster!)

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
The only thing I'm laughing at these days is the opinion of Bruins fans. It's comical to see them praise Lindholm's contract but draw a hard line with Swayman for essentially the same deal.

I know a lot of non-Bruins fans and they are having a great time seeing the Bruins bumble and fumble this situation with their young franchise netminder.
I was not someone who praise the Lindholm signing, "BIG Fat Mistake "

Reactions: BruinDust

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
It ain't hard to put two and two together on this one.

What the Bruins are offering is inline with what goalies who are upcoming UFAs with multiple ~60 start seasons playing at a Vezina-candidate level under their belt have got. He already has a deal on the table that, IMO, resets the market for what typical RFA goalies at his age/experience sign for.

If I'm Swayman (and I know people hate this comp), I'm using Rask as my example of why I feel 8/$9.5 is more inline with my situation.

HuskyBruinPride

Aug 1, 2011
not all 8/64 deals are created equal. See my other post
Do you really think it's the specifics of how the contract is structured that led us to today? That that's what's holding up a deal? Nonsense. No way Cam goes "nuclear" leaking the dollar amount if structuring is the issue, he only does that if they're frustrated by Swayman rejecting their offer and pushing for an unreasonable sum.

Bridges31

Sweep the leg!
Oct 7, 2007
NH
I think you can live with futures. Take whatever is the best deal on the table. Problem is the market probably won't be too lucrative this close to opening night when most teams have their plans set and Swayman is looking for the sun and the moon.
The market will open up more before December. Once teams start dealing with goaltending issues or injury issues there might be more suitors.

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
Great job by Neely. 8x8 is a win for Swayman and his camp. 8x8 has always been my best offer as well. Good job by DS conceding defeat, and putting the spotlight firmly on Swayman. It’s on him.

If Sway doesn’t value the other factors, the team, the locker room, etc. than he’s the villain here.
IMG_0102.jpeg

“What do you want Lindsay Lohan?!”

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Malcontent? It's not chump change.
Take a poll around the league of up and coming goalies with similar time and games played and see how many would take 8 x 8 to play in Boston. Swayman should be smiling like the Cheshire cat.
You are correct, but I just think if he was to sign today he will still be pissed, and he carry it forward. I honestly believe you give him what he wants, and he will still be a problem down the road, he has revealed to much of himself for my taste. I am stating how I feel.

Reactions: JAD and Mad-Marcus

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
Do you really think it's the specifics of how the contract is structured that led us to today? That that's what's holding up a deal? Nonsense. No way Cam goes "nuclear" leaking the dollar amount if structuring is the issue, he only does that if they're frustrated by Swayman rejecting their offer and pushing for an unreasonable sum.
Or Swayman has no interest in signing an 8 year deal

dangermike

Jan 24, 2022
The market will open up more before December. Once teams start dealing with goaltending issues or injury issues there might be more suitors.
if im utah i trade vejmelka, some picks, some prospects for a $10m swayman - itd jump start that "new" franchse

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
Why are you so hurt by Neely here. You seem to be the only one with a problem that the team called out Swayman being greedy. Are you his mom or something? lol
I prefer professional answers like Sweeney and Jacobs gave in regards to a guy I want on my team long term. I also am a big Brad Marchand guy who just said negotiations should never be done in the media and his boss just blew one of his teammates up.

Reactions: barriers

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
Of course they do, but if you're going to slightly overpay wouldn't you rather it be on your young foundational pieces that are difference makers?
8 x 8 is over payment the offer should be in the low 7s for 5 years based on his accomplishments/resume. But that just my opinion ... and even that is being kind.

Bridges31

Sweep the leg!
Oct 7, 2007
NH
Good on management for coming out and saying what was offered. I’m one of their biggest critics but you have to admit that, for an organization that prides itself on not leaking info, it’s telling that they’ve come out and been so open and direct.

I’d hate to see it but I think this an example of both sides not coming to a mutual agreement and both sides will go their separate ways.

Reactions: BMC

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
All I say is this........

When you consider that over the first 7 years of the deal with a quickly rising salary cap, 25-26 year old Jeremy Swayman would earn a mere 1.75 million more than 29-30 year old Elias Lindholm, that makes the offer of 8 million per a bit of a joke.

This isn't Jeremy Swayman vs. Patrice Bergeron here. He's not being compared to a franchise cornerstone.

A few days ago I posted where Swayman was ranked by the media experts on TSN and SN on their respective Top 50 lists, where was ranked as high as the 3rd best goaltender in the league, and no lower than 5th.

Does Elias Lindholm even make their Top 100? Probably not.

I don't care about UFA vs. RFA, leverage or whatever. It's about five years from now with a cap over 100 million, a 29 year old Swayman sitting in the dressing room and looking over a 33 year old declining Lindholm and saying "I make just $250,000 more than that guy, what the &^%$".

Just think about that, you have a situation where Swayman at 29 could possibly be the best goaltender on the planet, and he is earning essentially the same amount as a guy who basically an above-average two-way center whose best years are long gone.

Taking care of aging above-average talents like Lindholm and Zadorov at the expense of your younger elite talents is the exact reverse opposite of how you manage NHL teams in the salary cap era. Take care of your elite talent in their prime, figure out the rest after. We are 20 years into the salary cap era and there are a few hard truths about managing the cap that I think are written in stone, and taking care of your elite young core talent entering their prime is rarely a mistake. History has proven that. The risk IMO is minimal.

Signing above-average aging talents to long-term deals is a far, far greater risk and the Bruins don't seem to mind going there based on their moves this summer.

Sadly I believe we have seen the last of Jeremy Swayman in a Bruins uniform. And I believe in Jeremy Swayman. I think he is that damn good. I guess Don and Cam don't. My guess is we are about to see another one of those trades (like Thornton, like Seguin, like Hamilton) where the rest of the hockey world laughs at the Bruins.

Again.
Forwards tend to get paid more than goaltenders. Especially center men.

You speak of Swayman as if it’s an absolute certainty he’s going to be a stud goaltender. He could become the best goaltender in the league, or he could start to crack this season once he starts 60-65 games for this first time in his career. He’s a talented kid, he had one very good playoff series. 8x8m seems like a very fair deal imo.

Reactions: lopey and Bodit9
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad