Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman -VI President Cam Speaks: Monty, Donny, & Charlie too!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Mod edit: @smithformeragent

As this situation continues to drag on:

Please keep the conversation pertinent to the topic and avoid making it personal.

Debate about the management of the salary cap and the performance of the general manager fits into the context of the conversation, but we’ll avoid dividing fans into camps like “pro-player” and “team apologist”.

Thanks!

Continue if you must. No flaming!

Last edited by a moderator:

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
The whole thing has just gotten weird. I have to believe (because in spite of what a few here think, Sweeney is not an idiot) that either a) Sway's camp were not honest up front before formal negotations started about what they were looking for or b) Sweeney knew and thought it would go like most negotiations and land somewhere in the middle between the two initial positions. Maybe c) the ask changed once they started actually negotiating? I believe it is that, or Swayman has refused to budge much from his initial position. I don't see Sweeney (whatever we think of him) dealing Ullmark without a really strong belief that re-signing Swayman was going to happen under their internal pay structure.

Why is it only Swayman to blame? Maybe Donny overplayed his hand. In fact it more points to Swayman just not buying into the 'Bruin Way'. Gotta overpay UFAs, RFAs don't deserve it!

All this slinging about how Swayman is greedy, or his agent is to blame.

Reactions: LSCII

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
What do people think the B's not signing him ?

Do they think he isn't as good as he has played in the past ? If he is, he's worth the 8 Mill because as mentioned before, in a few years, he will be under paid.

If he is as good as he has played is that not worth 8 Mill ? Got to be close.

Ilya Sorokin is at 8.5 mill and is 5th highest paid.
John Gibson is at 6.4 and is 6th highest paid.

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
Maybe Donny should stop trying to set the GM market with Lewis Gross and do the right thing and get his 25 year old superstar in the fold. Stop letting his personal feelings about Gross get in the way of doing the right thing.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Maybe Donny should stop trying to set the GM market with Lewis Gross and do the right thing and get his 25 year old superstar in the fold. Stop letting his personal feelings about Gross get in the way of doing the right thing.
Again though - you don’t know where we are. Maybe Swayman/Gross need to stop letting their personal feelings keep them from agreeing to a fair deal.

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
Again though - you don’t know where we are. Maybe Swayman/Gross need to stop letting their personal feelings keep them from agreeing to a fair deal.
Without a doubt in my mind it’s Gross and Sweeney holding this up. One is butthurt with Krug and one has the ego to “beat” Gross after the Nylander stuff. If the both are long term is true it’s about AAV and I see Sweeney being the one holding the fort

Could be wrong but it’s just stupid he’s not here. Sound like a 7 vs 9 AAV issue and both of them being dicks about it. Sweeney could and should do the right thing here

Reactions: rfournier103

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Without a doubt in my mind it’s Gross and Sweeney holding this up. One is butthurt with Krug and one has the ego to “beat” Gross after the Nylander stuff. If the both are long term is true it’s about AAV and I see Sweeney being the one holding the fort

Could be wrong but it’s just stupid he’s not here. Sound like a 7 vs 9 AAV issue and both of them being dicks about it. Sweeney could and should do the right thing here
Gross

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
What do people think the B's not signing him ?

Do they think he isn't as good as he has played in the past ? If he is, he's worth the 8 Mill because as mentioned before, in a few years, he will be under paid.

If he is as good as he has played is that not worth 8 Mill ? Got to be close.

Ilya Sorokin is at 8.5 mill and is 5th highest paid.
John Gibson is at 6.4 and is 6th highest paid.

This list is missing saros getting paid $7.74 million

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
Sportsnet and TSN have released their annual Top 50 players and it's interesting re: Swayman and how he is regarded by the Canadian Media.

There are 5 goaltenders on both lists. The one outlier is Sportsnet had Saros at #49 but TSN didn't rank him in their Top 50. There seems to be some close consensus among the 5 goaltenders who made both lists.

The 5 goaltenders on both lists are as follows:

Jeremy Swayman (Age 25) - SN #45, TSN #37

Sergei Bobrovsky (Age 36) - SN #43, TSN #39

Andrei Vasielievsky (Age 30) - SN# 39, TSN #42

Connor Hellebucyk (Age 31) - SN# 22, TSN #22

Igor Shesterkin (Age 28) - SN#19, TSN # 17

Is a 8-year deal with a contract in the 9-10 million range really that out of line for a guy who seems like consensus says is a Top 5 goaltender in this league right now? And the youngest of that Top 5? Is it that big of a risk for the Bruins considering you'll be getting the absolute prime of his career?

I don't know the answer and am not looking to get into the debate. Just thought this was interesting food-for-thought.

Hope everyone is having a great autumn and pre-season!

For the vast majority of the last two years, we weren't even sure if Swayman was the best goalie on his own team. The other guy did win a Vezina.

Then Sway goes on a (short) heater in the playoffs, and he's definitely a top 5 goalie in the league?

That's recency bias, and news to me. Consistency in this league at the top is real hard. He hasn't done that yet.

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
For the vast majority of the last two years, we weren't even sure if Swayman was the best goalie on his own team. The other guy did win a Vezina.

Then Sway goes on a (short) heater in the playoffs, and he's definitely a top 5 goalie in the league?

That's recency bias, and news to me.
I mean they just overpaid for a defenseman who at 30 just had a good playoffs after going for a 3 and 5 at the deadline because nobody wanted him

Swayman was on the all rookie team. Did form a duo that won a Jennings. Did finish 7 in vezina voting last year. Oh and just did something that Vezina trophy winner couldn’t and that’s win a series. Truth be told said Vezina goalie was not even good enough to play a game 7 here and got a crappy return trade wise

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
I mean they just overpaid for a defenseman who at 30 just had a good playoffs after going for a 3 and 5 at the deadline because nobody wanted him

Swayman was on the all rookie team. Did form a duo that won a Jennings. Did finish 7 in vezina voting last year. Oh and just did something that Vezina trophy winner couldn’t and that’s win a series. Truth be told said Vezina goalie was not even good enough to play a game 7 here and got a crappy return trade wise

Overpaying would imply that wasn't Z's market value (in dollars). By all accounts, it definitely was.

Reactions: 4ORRBRUIN

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston

Nobody wanted him? Is this fact? Or was this just were he fit.

Pretty sure lots of posters are pumping Sways tires for have a good playoffs, no?

Reactions: BBruins

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

That's recency bias, and news to me. Consistency in this league at the top is real hard. He hasn't done that yet.
This could be one of the most disingenuous posts I've ever seen here, which is saying something. One playoff series vs Toronto has shit to do with what Swayman is viewed as. He's a top 5 goalie in the league because he's been top 5 in SV% 2 out of the last 3 seasons, and was 6th in the league the 1 year he wasn't in the top 5. And he's still super young and can easily get better. He's already a top 5 goalie so stop pretending.

Some of you here are acting like it's your f***ing money that he's asking for. Get a grip, FFS. He's not signing some 6mill super team friendly deal because he's worth a lot more than that.

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
Nobody wanted him? Is this fact? Or was this just were he fit.

Pretty sure lots of posters are pumping Sways tires for have a good playoffs, no?
Lots of people here poo pooed the idea of trying to acquire Zadorov. He was not good until the playoffs. Maybe he turned a corner

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
Lots of people here poo pooed the idea of trying to acquire Zadorov. He was not good until the playoffs. Maybe he turned a corner
Getting him for cash is better than giving up assets we did not have at the deadline. I personaly think this is a great signing. But he is what his is at this point, an intimidating mean player that will have no issues protecting his goalie.

He was always going to be overpaid. His contract is viewed as one of the worst in hockey by various models
Lets use our eyeballs more often, " models " dont always tell the truth.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
"According to NHL insider Pierre LeBrun, Swayman is specifically seeking an eight-year contract. LeBrun noted that the Bruins' preference is to lock Swayman up to a long-term deal as well.

However, while the Bruins and Swayman are both looking for a long-term deal, the big issue at this juncture is their average annual value asking prices. It is holding up a contract getting done, and LeBrun noted that the Bruins and Swayman are still far apart because of it.

LeBrun also provided another significant update. The NHL insider reported that the Bruins have set an internal deadline to get Swayman signed by - their season opener on Oct. 8 against the Florida Panthers."
An internal deadline?

What does that mean? Sit him for the season and not drag it out until December? Why limit your time?

Trade him if no contract by opening night?

I don't buy it. I think that comment is to put pressure on Gross to bend more.

As posters say above, smells more like a threat.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
That isnt true, he will be 27 in 2 years which makes him a group 3 UFA regardless of contract status. The lack of signing only affects his group 6 status but he wasnt going to make that anyways.

Edit - just to be clear that does not effect next offseason, he doesnt sign by Dec 1 he is still Boston property next summer. The summer after that however he will be a UFA regardless unless under contract. He could technically go play in russia for the next two seasons and then come back as a UFA.
I worded it wrong, but he is Bruin's property for this season and next.

Why is it only Swayman to blame? Maybe Donny overplayed his hand. In fact it more points to Swayman just not buying into the 'Bruin Way'. Gotta overpay UFAs, RFAs don't deserve it!

No one should take all of the blame, but they all deserve some of the blame.

No one should take all of the blame, but they all deserve some of the blame.

Reactions: Comely
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad