Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman -V - all still silent

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Terrible thought I just had...What if Swayman is the next Andrew Raycroft?

Imagine we're back in time watching Raycroft win the calder then get traded, not knowing we were getting a hall of fame goalie in return. What if we had signed Raycroft to a massive extension instead? What if history is repeating?

I'm going insane sorry.

Swayman has a substantially larger and more consistent body of work than Raycroft at the point of his trade.

But the point remains, there is risk to signing a goalie to an 8 year deal and that should be priced in to the contract. If Swayman is worth $9.5m at his current level, then I think $7.75 - $8.25m is fair on a long term deal to account for risk. To put it another way, there is almost zero chance Swayman gets better than he currently is, but a legitimate chance he has down years.

xStanleyCupsFor

Sep 12, 2014
I’m just saying I think Swayman’s ask is higher than that. I’d give him 8-8.25 for 8 years. If he wants 4 or 5 it’s less because it’s only 2 or 3 UFA years. Wouldn’t give him any less than 4 years period. He can sit if he wants that.
Exactly my thoughts. Seems like a fair comprise depending on which way Sway wants to go.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I’m just saying I think Swayman’s ask is higher than that. I’d give him 8-8.25 for 8 years. If he wants 4 or 5 it’s less because it’s only 2 or 3 UFA years. Wouldn’t give him any less than 4 years period. He can sit if he wants that.
Why are you giving him 8 plus, when he has not shown what this all about, can he carry the load, he has never been a # 1 goalie........

• Haha
Reactions: Pia8988

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Why are you giving him 8 plus, when he has not shown what this all about, can he carry the load, he has never been a # 1 goalie........
Faber has never been a #1 defenseman…Byfield has never been a 1C…etc etc. You take risks for talent and you do so when you can lock down their prime years. The only question is the price required to do that. But there’s probably no convincing someone who both hates the cost of a UFA center and is more than open to trading Swayman…

Reactions: TD Charlie

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Faber has never been a #1 defenseman…Byfield has never been a 1C…etc etc. You take risks for talent and you do so when you can lock down their prime years. The only question is the price required to do that. But there’s probably no convincing someone who both hates the cost of a UFA center and is more than open to trading Swayman…
Faber was the wild's #1 defenseman last year IMO, and Swayman would look great in Boston with Byfield's contract.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
You don't agree that they need a RW and or a goal scorer, because if you don't can you please put a number on how many goals their 8 8-9 mil goaltender can score for them. I am not rooting against the FA center that you are referring to, but will you please tell me how paying that contract is a positive .

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
Swayman has a substantially larger and more consistent body of work than Raycroft at the point of his trade.

But the point remains, there is risk to signing a goalie to an 8 year deal and that should be priced in to the contract. If Swayman is worth $9.5m at his current level, then I think $7.75 - $8.25m is fair on a long term deal to account for risk. To put it another way, there is almost zero chance Swayman gets better than he currently is, but a legitimate chance he has down years.
Really?

Reactions: frankiess

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
You don't agree that they need a RW and or a goal scorer, because if you don't can you please put a number on how many goals their 8 8-9 mil goaltender can score for them. I am not rooting against the FA center that you are referring to, but will you please tell me how paying that contract is a positive .
I really have no idea how to answer this.

Ciao

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Leafs fan here.

I was very pleased when the Leafs traded Rasmus Sanding to the Caps, because we would not have to endure the drama of another contract negotiation with his agent Lewis Gross.

My sympathy to Bruins fans for having to endure this either.

I don't know why any other team would be in a better position than the B's to give Swayman what he wants. If there were such a team, there would likely have been an offer sheet in place by now.

I really think this agent doesn't have his head screwed on right.

Reactions: BMC

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
Leafs fan here.

I was very pleased when the Leafs traded Rasmus Sanding to the Caps, because we would not have to endure the drama of another contract negotiation with his agent Lewis Gross.

My sympathy to Bruins fans for having to endure this either.

I don't know why any other team would be in a better position than the B's to give Swayman what he wants. If there were such a team, there would likely have been an offer sheet in place by now.

I really think this agent doesn't have his head screwed on right.

I don’t think any team is willing to give up the assets it would require to sign him to an offer sheet.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
If you’re rooting for the team as a whole, I don’t know how you could be hoping for a two year deal. That would be horribly detrimental to the organization.
Because I'm listening to the people and they are making sense. We have to worry about Swayman at age 33 making big money. Much more comfortable with Lindholm at 36 making big money. Everyone knows goalies hit their peak at 24 and Fs at 35. Can't give Sway lots of years w/ big money because he hasn't proven ANYTHING. He might be Mike Moffet for all we know. But we can't give him 1 year because he may get injured or maybe he holds out and misses a few games. If he doesn't play 60 games we still haven't learned anything about him and will be in the same boat next year.

2 years is perfect. Enough to know what he is, but you aren't hampered by lots of years.

GET IT DONE DONNIE & EVAN!

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
The absolute funniest part of this is the fact that a certain beloved Bruin was used just in this manner so management could justify underpaying star players.
No the funniest part of this is the fact that you could be talking about a couple different certain beloved Bruins who were used like this (Bourque, Bergeron to name 2).

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

can you please tell us why you are only complaining about swaymans potential contract and not the 3-4 other terrible contracts on the roster that are stopping them from acquiring scoring?

Goal retention is equally as important as goal scoring. That’s why you pay goalies.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Got my Red Line today and best goalie crop in dozen years ~ SIX could go in top 50 or even earlier

No matter what happens to Swayman got to think the Bruins go net minder

it’s a volatile position but 20-50 why not

Swayman 6/50 sounds good enough from my kitchen table from both sides

Bruins D healthy is going to be quite good & Swayman can be spectacular

My preference is certainly him

Let’s cut the shit & get this resolved

Reactions: SwayHeyKid

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
can you please tell us why you are only complaining about swaymans potential contract and not the 3-4 other terrible contracts on the roster that are stopping them from acquiring scoring?

Goal retention is equally as important as goal scoring. That’s why you pay goalies.
Name them, I might agree with you.

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
When you give 8- 10 mil contracts you better have more than expectations going for , like maybe a track record called history.
Did you miss the Faber, Jarvis, Seider, Raymond, Beniers contracts this summer? Where is the history there?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad