Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman -V - all still silent

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Fingertools

May 29, 2019
This is my issue.

We have no idea how he/his body will respond to a #1 load. We have no idea what, if any, effect trading ullmark will have on him mentally. We have no idea how he will handle the mental load and responsibility of being a #1.

Its hard to want to affect the market when you’re looking to affect it for guys who are in a different situation than you, having been proven effective as The Guy.

I love swayman, want him here long term, and don’t begrudge him trying to get his, but logically it’s a tough-ish pill to swallow. Be the #1 for a year or two and then get paid.
I don't think Sweeney wants to sign him for only a year or two, because if UFA looms he'll HAVE to pay him market value for a young, improving star goaltender rather than what he WANTS to pay him.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
I don't think Sweeney wants to sign him for only a year or two, because if UFA looms he'll HAVE to pay him market value for a young, improving star goaltender rather than what he WANTS to pay him.

Well, that's pretty dumb if that's how Sweeney is looking at it.

But he also traded Ullmark before locking up Swayman, so I guess it's par for the course with his goalie management.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Not sure how you interpided that lol

He's not the goalie at this point in his career to be setting anything other than proven he is a number one goalie.

He has his priorities backwards and frankly its concerning
You quoted a guy saying he didn't want to ruin the market, and said the Bruins won't let him do that.

Some double negatives in here, but the quote, and your statement together read "The Bruins will not let Swayman not ruin the market."

So yes, that is exactly how I interpreted it because you said it.

• Haha
Reactions: 4ORRBRUIN

bruinsfan1968

Make America United Again! Save our Democracy!
May 6, 2019
Wow get over the arbitration process. Every player that goes to arbitration has to hear this. Really seems to be stuck on that.
He should be mad at his agent about that, since they were the ones who elected to go to arbitration at that time, not the Bruins!.

Reactions: Bodit9 and lopey

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I've been in business for longer than I care to recall. One thing I know for certain.

Almost without exception, every time I made a bad deal, I had let emotion play into my thought process. Emotion and business are generally a bad mix.

That is something that both sides need to factor into things. Donny needs to not give a shit about what "Biz" reports. Sway needs to not give a shit about what happened in arbitration.

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007
Yeah this is the rub. The whole make him the 5th highest paid argument goalie goes out the window if his agent has sold him that goalies are underpaid. And I don’t think the Bruins organization is going to be a trend setter here.
Trend setter will be the rangers.

Max McBolt

Dec 18, 2018
As noted A MILLION f***ING TIMES he did not say that or anything close to that. f***.
But he did say something close to that.

"I understand the cap is going up and where it will be in years. I understand my comparables and how I can't ruin the goalie market for other guys that are going to be in my shoes down the line."

The way he said this he put emphasis on the other players who will be in his position down the line. His contract will be used as a comparable by them and affect their future negotiations.

So while it is true he did not say that he wants to set the goalie market all by himself, it is pretty clear that his new contract will have a part in doing just that and that it is an important aspect of this contract negotiations for him.

According to what he said, if he takes less money than what he believes he’s worth based on his comparables, other goaltenders in his position will be affected negatively down the line and will be paid less. That is a very close definition to setting the market for players in a specific position. While he won’t be doing it all by himself, it will play a major part.

Reactions: KurtDangle

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
So while it is true he did not say that he wants to set the goalie market all by himself, it is pretty clear that his new contract will have a part in doing just that and that it is an important aspect of this contract negotiations for him.

GREAT GLAD WE AGREE HE DID NOT SAY HE WANTS TO SET THE MARKET GOOD TALK.

(Note: Everything after the bolded is total conjecture by you not supported by his actual comment.)

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
But he did say something close to that.

"I understand the cap is going up and where it will be in years. I understand my comparables and how I can't ruin the goalie market for other guys that are going to be in my shoes down the line."

The way he said this he put emphasis on the other players who will be in his position down the line. His contract will be used as a comparable by them and affect their future negotiations.

According to what he said, if he takes less money than what he believes he’s worth based on his comparables, other goaltenders in his position will be affected negatively down the line and will be paid less. That is a very close definition to setting the market for players in a specific position. While he won’t be doing it all by himself, it will play a major part.
I think very differently of his statements. Not ruining, and setting…two hugely different things to me.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Yeah this is the rub. The whole make him the 5th highest paid argument goalie goes out the window if his agent has sold him that goalies are underpaid. And I don’t think the Bruins organization is going to be a trend setter here.

'5th' actually 6th with multiple contemporaries set to pass that mark

Igor will pass it, Saros already has. Demko and Oettinger both coming up and unless you think Ullmark also gets less. Suddenly 6 mil isn't even a top 10 paid goalie and Boston want to lock that in

Reactions: Fingertools

Bodit9

Sponsor
Oct 22, 2016
Upstate NY
Perhaps the California teams had to offer Ohtani & James more than the teams they were competing with.

I’m not suggesting it’s an issue, but it has been mentioned in negotiations here in Boston. Bill Belichick recently confirmed this.
Ohtani structured his contract to defer the vast majority to when he retires. He only gets paid $2M a year in salary by the Dodgers according to reports. The rest he will collect when he retires almost assuredly in a no state income tax state to dodge CA's state income tax.

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
I think very differently of his statements. Not ruining, and setting…two hugely different things to me.

You only think that because it's so obviously f***ing true.

"I don't want to ruin" means "I'm not taking anything less than what I think I am worth (aka no hometown discount) because it would lower the price range for other goalies who will then use me as a comp."

"I want to set" would mean "I want to be the highest paid goalie."

NOW, what he thinks he is worth might simply be unreasonable to the Bruins and even most fans (reminder: we don't know what he's actually asking for), but he never ever ever ever ever said he wants to "set" the market. Suggesting he did, or worse criticizing him for it, is absurd.

There are real arguments to be made about giving him a giant contract! People can make it without lying!

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
'5th' actually 6th with multiple contemporaries set to pass that mark

Igor will pass it, Saros already has. Demko and Oettinger both coming up and unless you think Ullmark also gets less. Suddenly 6 mil isn't even a top 10 paid goalie and Boston want to lock that in

Yeah that’s why the four year term makes more sense. Let him do a leap frog again after the new market is set. And then it’s also more clear where he slots. He didn’t beat out Ullmark until the last dozen games of the tandem. Demko and Oettinger have both had superior seasons to Swayman. Ullmark, too, obviously. And Saros. Swayman finished 7th in Vezina once. His ranking is hardly set despite the recency bias of how he did this playoffs.

Reactions: Bodit9

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Yeah that’s why the four year term makes more sense. Let him do a leap frog again after the new market is set. And then it’s also more clear where he slots. He didn’t beat out Ullmark until the last dozen games of the tandem. Demko and Oettinger have both had superior seasons to Swayman. Ullmark, too, obviously. And Saros. Swayman finished 7th in Vezina once. His ranking is hardly set despite the recency bias of how he did this playoffs.

For Swayman, the most sense is 2 or 8.

"I don't want to ruin" means "I'm not taking anything less than what I think I am worth (aka no hometown discount) because it would lower the price range for other goalies who will then use me as a comp."

NOW, what he thinks he is worth might simply be unreasonable to the Bruins and even most fans (reminder: we don't know what he's actually asking for), but he never ever ever ever ever said he wants to "set" the market. Suggesting he did, or worse criticizing him for it, is absurd.

There are real arguments to be made about giving him a giant contract! People can make it without lying!

Correct. The goalie who wants to actually set the market plays in New York and they have admitted as so.

RiverbottomChuck

Jul 20, 2018
Washington DC
It also doesn't help the situation that we had a decent amount of rumors albeit mostly false and out of context rumors but after the presser it's been complete silence on both sides.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007

temperature

I get the fear of throwing money at a goalie, when so many have fizzled out rather quickly. I get the fear around the games played debate. I disagree with those arguments, and feel that Boston has a true gem on their hands here, but I’ll at least listen to the arguments

The talks of holding out and setting the market, that sort of bullshit, nah I won’t have it.

Reactions: JAD

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Meh, didn't stop Ohtani or James from playing in California. It's high tax also.

MLB and nba aren’t hard cap leagues and contracts are much different.

Not sure if it’s the case with swayman but numerous athletes have already spoken out about not going to certain destinations due to the cap

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
It also doesn't help the situation that we had a decent amount of rumors albeit mostly false and out of context rumors but after the presser it's been complete silence on both sides.
I’m fine with silence. When I start signing the checks I’ll prefer to be involved, but until then I’d rather the guys with the authority to make the deal do the talking

Reactions: RiverbottomChuck

RiverbottomChuck

Jul 20, 2018
Washington DC
I’m fine with silence. When I start signing the checks I’ll prefer to be involved, but until then I’d rather the guys with the authority to make the deal do the talking
I definitely agree thats how it should be done but the rumors flying up to the presser then hearing nothing has made the vultures on all platforms come circling.

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario

You sorta frighten me tbh, maybe the only poster here that does lol, so I hesitate to say this:

I disagree with you.

Grimey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 4, 2017
The Swayman Threads dramedy series is an emotionally-draining rollercoaster ride jam-packed full of excitement, bitterness, cautious optimism, and betrayal. Scoring a 100% on Rotten Tomatoes, it’s a series you can’t afford to miss out on. If you like rumours - be it falling for them, debunking them, or even creating them yourself - be sure to tune in from 12 am to 12 am, only on hfboards (Bruins forum).

Season 6 coming out soon.

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
temperature

I get the fear of throwing money at a goalie, when so many have fizzled out rather quickly. I get the fear around the games played debate. I disagree with those arguments, and feel that Boston has a true gem on their hands here, but I’ll at least listen to the arguments

The talks of holding out and setting the market, that sort of bullshit, nah I won’t have it.

I am not only listening to the arguments, I've validated them again and again. What I'm f***ing sick of are people lying about what he said, lying about his talent, and calling him a POS personally.

You sorta frighten me tbh, maybe the only poster here that does lol, so I hesitate to say this:

I disagree with you.

You disagree with the fact he NEVER SAID he wants to "set" the market even though he quite literally never said that?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad