Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman -V - all still silent

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bwunderlich

Feb 27, 2002
woodstock, ny
Visit site
Think we're about to hit tipping point on how effective Swayman will be from a mental and physical standpoint, for this upcoming year anyway. I'm feeling he's gone if nothing happens this week.

Watching that last DiPetro goal "softie is putting it mildly" last night - my god how blessed has this fan-base been between the pipes for the past 15 years? We take it for granted (and many still complained on a daily basis) . . .GDTs will be even more unreadable if we start the season with a middle-of-the-road pairing between the pipes.

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
It’s an additional 4% tax hike on top of the already high state tax rate. On an 8 million dollar contract that’s an additional 320,000 in taxes. Again, that’s after the normal mass tax rate. Vasilevskiy‘s 9.5m in Florida is closer to 10.5 or 11m in Boston.
Meh, didn't stop Ohtani or James from playing in California. It's high tax also.

Reactions: EverettMike

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
that's definitely not a selling point for for bruins to overpay him bc swayman has his own agenda
If the agenda is “earn what money I can until my body is incapable of doing so.”

Sure. Then again, that’s a goal of almost every athlete. They don’t do this for free. Certainly not in their prime

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
If the agenda is “earn what money I can until my body is incapable of doing so.”

Sure. Then again, that’s a goal of almost every athlete. They don’t do this for free. Certainly not in their prime
You mentioned nobody knows for certain how much Swayman is looking for … now that folk have posted his contract demands do you still believe it is Sweeney that is lowballing?

kdog82

Oct 6, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Swayman must feel like a fool sitting out while all other RFA's have signed lucrative deals. Swayman would be in the ballpark of Seider/Raymond money and term.

Sitting out because he is butt hurt over the arbitration hearing from a year ago. This, and his agent is a clown.

Sorry Sway, you have yet to play a full year a true #1 and you have zero leverage. Sit out my friend.

That being said I love Swayman and wish he was signed readying for the season but I'm on Sweeney's side here.

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007
A part of it is…no one has said they don’t want to ruin the winger market. Or the defenseman market. So the fact that he explicitly said it - in his conversation about taking business classes - leads to thinking it’s more than just idle speak.
He probably feels that goalies are not making enough compared to those other positions, it's not hard to think of a winger that has a higher cap hit than any goalie without winning any awards.

Or how is it possible that only 3 goalies make more than Darnell Nurse?

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
He probably feels that goalies are not making enough compared to those other positions, it's not hard to think of a winger that has a higher cap hit than any goalie without winning any awards.

You’re making my point then…

If he’s trying to set that kind of market by himself - with his career thus far - it’s going to be a long impasse.

Reactions: Blowfish

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
You mentioned nobody knows for certain how much Swayman is looking for … now that folk have posted his contract demands do you still believe it is Sweeney that is lowballing?
There have been rumors and leaks.

Are you referencing Swaymans ask of McAvoy money? And Sweeneys offer of 6mil for 4 years? I think both of those offers sound like first contact, and I assume both parties have some give. As I’ve mentioned before you never take the first deal offered and you never give your best offer first. I’m definitely not in sales, but isn’t this sales 101?

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
There have been rumors and leaks.

Are you referencing Swaymans ask of McAvoy money? And Sweeneys offer of 6mil for 4 years? I think both of those offers sound like first contact, and I assume both parties have some give. As I’ve mentioned before you never take the first deal offered and you never give your best offer first. I’m definitely not in sales, but isn’t this sales 101?
yup - leaks directly out of Swaymans mouth and zero from Sweeney. A good GM knows how to manage contract talks. GM 101.

“Not ruin the market”

“Set the market”

Two completely different scenarios.
Insert ‘comparables’ based on games played.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
yup - leaks directly out of Swaymans mouth and zero from Sweeney. A good GM knows how to manage contract talks. GM 101.

Did Swayman give numbers? Honest question cuz if he has i just haven’t seen it

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
I will admit I’m pro Sweeney. Only because he’s been so friggin good building highly competitive teams and landing fair contracts. I want more than anything for Swayman to play. Hes not the guy that can set goalie prices for the future. He simply doesn’t have the games played to do so. I hope the pressure is coming from the PA and his agent and not Swayman.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007

And Swaymans camp will submit their comps just like Sweeney will. We can all guess at what the comps are and probably come pretty close. Hopefully they come to an agreement somewhere between. I think they will

Reactions: Blowfish

lopey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2009
Frozen Tundra Northern Ontario
Let me be clear (insert Bernie meme here): I want Jeremy Swayman resigned.

But I’m low key grossed out by a dude with a 44 game workload under his belt demanding the sun and moon

Reeks of the millennials I hire whose salary expectations along with every other perk under the sun are at the same level as my veteran architects

What happened to paying your dues - he shouldn’t roll over by any means but like - you brag about learning the business side (evidently in one summer) and don’t/wont grasp the risk perspective of the club you’re negotiating with?

Those kinds of schools generally have tv commercials

Edit: no, guys, I don’t know anything for real like any of us - that should be assumed on every post all of us make save a TINY few
Excellent post

Reactions: NeelyDan

Bodit9

Sponsor
Oct 22, 2016
Upstate NY

Goalies are notoriously volatile in their performance and there's been several "average" goalies get hot in the playoffs and win the Cup. You don't necessarily need a stud goalie to win a Cup. Which is why their value is lower.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Goalies are notoriously volatile in their performance and there's been several "average" goalies get hot in the playoffs and win the Cup. You don't necessarily need a stud goalie to win a Cup. Which is why their value is lower.
I don’t disagree. I’m also not comfortable with Korpisalo long term. Not at all comfortable with that. If he’s an every now and again goalie, or has to jump in as the starter for a month due to whatever, then fine. But to be given the crown seems really foolish to me right now

Fingertools

May 29, 2019
Perspective... (don't know how much this has changed since)
As of April 2024, the top 10 highest-paid goalies in the NHL include:

• Carey Price: $10.5 million

• Sergei Bobrovsky: $10 million

• Andrei Vasilevskiy: $9.5 million

• Connor Hellebuyck: $8.5 million

• Ilya Sorokin: $8.25 million

• John Gibson: $6.4 million

• Jacob Markstrom: $6 million

• Jordan Binnington: $6 million

• Phillip Grubauer: $5.9 million

• Igor Shesterkin: $5.666,667

If Swayman is looking for top dollars offer 37m over 5yr a 7.4 cap hit. Allowing Swayman to cash in big at around 30yrs of age ... if he is as good as he thinks he is. Plus, at that point he is a FA and could test the market.
At 7.4 Swayman would be the 5th highest paid active goalie going into the season. The other higher paid goalies currently have a more established track record - at the moment.

Even offering him Sorokin money would be way more than fair.
If Swayman expects anything more, he's dreaming. If he wants the Bruins to bet on him for possible future performance and cap increase, then they are with their 6.4 offer. If it's not enough he should take the money and bet on himself and prove to them his true worth. He'll get paid.

Also, if as rumored Boston's 6.4 puts him tied for 5th highest active goalie ... so if true I don't think Boston is doubting his ability.
The point of reduced workload and the fact Swayman has never been a #1 isn't valid - for one thing, when a team anoints you the #1 in a playoff year you ARE the number one - when said team trades its other goaltender in the off season it is further proof that you are #1.

The idea that he would rise to 5th in salary with a deal like Sorokin got isn't valid either because in the next 2 or 3 years Shesterkin, Oettinger, Demko (if healthy) and possibly an outlier or two among the unproven young guys (given the league's seemingly current policy of locking up their young stars long term earlier and earlier) will have bypassed him.

So if Swayman is 9th or 10th in earnings 4 years from now would anyone call that fair considering most people already consider him in the top echelon of goaltenders and has a good possibility of getting even better while the Bobrovskys and Vasilevskyis decline?

No one knows what has been offered and I'm on board of giving him a long term deal at a minimum of $8.5M - risk? Of course, same risk as any other star who signs a long term deal. If Sweeney doesn't think he's worth it that's his prerogative but you can't blame Swayman for securing his future projected worth among his peers.

I would bet Sway would take a very short term deal to prove his worth, then establish in UFA the demand for him but of course that isn't good for Sweeney, who values him enough to bet the farm on him as his #1 and not let him get to UFA status, but seemingly not willing to pay him top dollar.

The league is shifting rapidly to signing stars early to long term deals, witness the parade of recent "unproven" high dollar contracts - GMs are betting that back halves of contracts will be bargains, sacrificing a few early years of overpayment - seems like a better idea than overpaying for back ends of long term deals doesn't it?

Pay the man.

Last edited:
Reactions: TD Charlie

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Think we would all benefit from lowering the temperature around this topic and player, and one way I believe we can make these threads go a lot smoother would be for people to STOP f***ING LYING about Swayman saying he wants to set the goalie market.

As noted A MILLION f***ING TIMES he did not say that or anything close to that. f***.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad