Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman -V - all still silent

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
If you wait until after the season teams will start to offer 2026 picks vs 2025. If Korpisalo plays well and we get a shot at McKenna do it.

What about a trade with Jersey for someone like Jasper Bratt?

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I'm warming up to the idea of trading $wayman if it'll bring in some scoring help. I have every bit of confidence that our defense and coach Essenza can make something out of Korpi and Bussi.
I kind of want a new hate figure too. Relentless Swayman sucks and booing when we play his next team. Gets heckled walking down the street in Boston. Sports are more fun with some friendly hate mixed in.

• Haha
Reactions: Bodit9 and UConn126

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
I realize many here are not Joe Haggerty fans.

However, as with Ty Anderson, Haggerty has some perceptive things to say about the present circumstance.

I would therefore urge viewing the episode of "Pucks with Haggs," with guest Evan Marinofsky, I posted last night.

Haggerty posits that if this thing does not get done within a week or two, the likelihood is that the Bruins will trade Jeremy Swayman.

At this point, I have to agree.

There are reasons for this.

Sweeney does not like Swayman's agent. To understate the matter considerably.

He likely feels the negotiating demand relative to payout and term is unearned and hence unwarranted.

The Bruins will not alter the way they do business to satisfy a headstrong, perhaps overreaching Swayman or assuage his pique over a bruising arbitration process he himself requested.

They are not going to treat a largely unproven Swayman as a special case deserving of dollars & years based on a small sample size and hope.

More to the point, Sweeney will not allow the situation to change or undermine the justly vaunted Bruins "culture."

Rather, if the Swayman camp remains unbending and a deal is not struck fairly soon, the player will be traded for the best return.

As Haggerty and Marinofsky correctly point out, Jeremy has flourished in a stable, winning organization, surrounded by solid, talented teammates.
That Haggs episode was spot on and I'm NOT a fan.
It's called common sense.
This is not just about Swayman, but how the B's do business. Pasta and McAvoy could have held out for more. Particularly Pasta, but it got done, they're well paid and fit their prospective markets appropriately.

But the B's are better with Swayman, it's a dilemma (I don't like these foreign cars much either, lady).
moe.png

Reactions: GordonHowe

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Saros when he signed his contract at 26. Both with nearly the same accomplishments in the league and NHL status ( hovering around the Vezina conversation while in a 1a/1b goaltender tandem ). Saros was even a 4th round pick himself, although I don't think that means all too much in negotiations but just another log in the pile of similarities between the two.

Very different scenarios though. Saros had an upcoming arbitration hearing before he signed his bridge deal.

The Bruins and Swayman would have had to agree to that deal last year. However, the bruins couldn’t offer swayman a bridge deal because they didn’t have the cap space to do so.

Swayman and the bruins didn’t elect for arbitration this year. So an arbiter isn’t going to potentially split the difference between swayman and bruins offers to each other.

Swayman is completely free to negotiation a contract without a 3rd party determining his contract.

Reactions: PB37

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
You are correct, it got them absolutely nothing. Especially under Sweeney. All it got us was terrible free agent signings that were healthy scratched come playoff time.

All those hometown discounts went to Backes, Beleskey, John Moore, Mike Reilly, Nick Foligno, forbort, etc

Meanwhile Krejci had a dumpster fire for RWs under Sweeney for nearly a decade while we had upwards of $15m being healthy scratched in the playoffs at times under Sweeney

Go get your money Jeremy, it’s not going to make a difference under Sweeney anyways.

Sweeney and Evan Gold are so overrated it’s insane.
No high picks to work with but got Pasternak and McAvoy. Won the most games in the NHL. No playoff series losses to Toronto.

Chances are Swayman never plays as well again as he did 2024 playoffs. What happens if you extend him for 8 years and he goes Ullmark on us next spring?

A lot of this is on Jeremy he should have wanted the deal done hours after the Linus trade.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Very different scenarios though. Saros had an upcoming arbitration hearing before he signed his bridge deal.

The Bruins and Swayman would have had to agree to that deal last year. However, the bruins couldn’t offer swayman a bridge deal because they didn’t have the cap space to do so.

Swayman and the bruins didn’t elect for arbitration this year. So an arbiter isn’t going to potentially split the difference between swayman and bruins offers to each other.

Swayman is completely free to negotiation a contract without a 3rd party determining his contract.
Saros signed his bridge one year before UFA, not two like Swayman is facing.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown

However, as with Ty Anderson, Haggerty has some perceptive things to say about the present circumstance.

I would therefore urge viewing the episode of "Pucks with Haggs," featuring guest Evan Marinofsky, posted last night.

Haggerty posits that if this thing does not get done within a week or two, the likelihood is that the Bruins will trade Jeremy Swayman.

He likely feels the negotiating demand relative to payout and term is unearned and hence unwarranted.

The Bruins will not alter the way they do business to satisfy a headstrong, perhaps overreaching Swayman or assuage his pique over a bruising arbitration process he himself requested.

They are not going to treat a largely unproven Swayman as a special case deserving of dollars & years based on a small sample size and hope.

More to the point, Sweeney will not allow the situation to change or undermine the justly vaunted Bruins "culture."

Rather, if the Swayman camp remains unbending and a deal is not struck fairly soon, the player will be traded for the best return.

As Haggerty and Marinofsky correctly point out, Jeremy has flourished in a winning organization, surrounded by solid, talented teammates and a stable system.

It is unlikely he would enjoy a similar environment in Anaheim, Columbus, Utah or San Jose.

There is a point at which Swayman's insistence on digging in his heels begins to appear less the position of a principaled superstar in the making than the behavior of an immature, selfish young man willing to torpedo his teammates and flip off the fans in service of his own ego.

I believe we are at that point now.

I hope things work out, one way or another.
Their current defense is stacked too, and coaching at the position is as good as there is in the league. If they choose to go in another direction at goal you have to think whoever comes in would be in an ideal position to up their numbers.

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
That Haggs episode was spot on and I'm NOT a fan.
It's called common sense.
This is not just about Swayman, but how the B's do business. Pasta and McAvoy could have held out for more. Particularly Pasta, but it got done, they're well paid and fit their prospective markets appropriately.

But the B's are better with Swayman, it's a dilemma (I don't like these foreign cars much either, lady).
View attachment 908397

Edited the post further.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Saros signed his bridge one year before UFA, not two like Swayman is facing.

Ok that still means far less than the fact Saros had an arbitration hearing upcoming on august 18th, 2021. He agreed to that bridge deal ahead of his arbitration hearing on august 16th, 2021.

Saros knew the bridge deal from Nashville was going to get him more than the arbiter would give him. So there was more incentive to take the bridge deal.

Since the Bruins and Swayman both elected to not go to arbitration. Swayman is not at the mercy of an arbiter.

Massive difference.

sena

Jul 3, 2024
The bulk of Korpisalo's playoff success was in the weird bubble covid playoffs. It counts, but I don't think it counts quite as much as normal years.

Even in that playoff, when faced with elimination he had a sv% of .800 and gave up 5 goals to get his team eliminated.
In his 2nd playoff run (a normal season in which his playoff numbers in general were bad) when faced with elimination he also let in 5 goals with a sv% of .808

This year Swayman faced elimination in 3 games. His save pcts: 968, 966 and 923. And gave up a total of 4 goals in those games.
Korpi was painful to watch last year. He would make great saves and make you think he might start winning....and then he would be 12 feet to the right of the net on the red line facing the back boards on his knees in perfect butterfly form trying to save god knows what
Total video game glitch style.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

I would therefore urge viewing the episode of "Pucks with Haggs," featuring guest Evan Marinofsky, posted last night.

As Haggerty and Marinofsky correctly point out, Jeremy has flourished in a winning organization, surrounded by solid, talented teammates and a stable system.

It is unlikely he would enjoy a similar environment in Anaheim, Columbus, Utah or San Jose.

There is a point at which Swayman's insistence on digging in his heels begins to appear less the position of a principaled superstar in the making than the behavior of an immature, selfish young man willing to torpedo his teammates and flip off the fans in service of his own ego.

I believe we are at that point now.

I hope things work out, one way or another.

of course the problem is also pointed out as Hags talks about trading Sway for Gibson and zegraz (not possible in the cap, unless Anaheim retains 40%).

I don't see a scenario where you trade Sway and don't make the team substantially worse. Sure maybe you get a future first round pick from a team, who becomes a playoff threat with Swayman

Reactions: GordonHowe

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
You are correct, it got them absolutely nothing. Especially under Sweeney. All it got us was terrible free agent signings that were healthy scratched come playoff time.

All those hometown discounts went to Backes, Beleskey, John Moore, Mike Reilly, Nick Foligno, forbort, etc

Meanwhile Krejci had a dumpster fire for RWs under Sweeney for nearly a decade while we had upwards of $15m being healthy scratched in the playoffs at times under Sweeney

Go get your money Jeremy, it’s not going to make a difference under Sweeney anyways.

Sweeney and Evan Gold are so overrated it’s insane.

Did chiareli give him a rw? I remember krecji playing with plugs before Sweeney.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
of course the problem is also pointed out as Hags talks about trading Sway for Gibson and zegraz (not possible in the cap, unless Anaheim retains 40%).

I don't see a scenario where you trade Sway and don't make the team substantially worse. Sure maybe you get a future first round pick from a team, who becomes a playoff threat with Swayman

Clearly, not an ideal situation. But this is where they are.

I'm sure they can get a handsome return for Swayman, not necessarily from Anaheim.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

Arbitration walk him straight to UFA. The arbitration did present a deadline to get things done, but it’s not like it would have been bad for Saros to get a one year deal he didn’t like and then beable to hit the open market.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
\
Which camp are you in if you think the right numbers for Swayman are 8x$8M-$8.25M or 4x$7M-$7.5M?
Seems like realistic numbers and probably close to what I see happening. It's not going to be 10, and I don't think he's asking for that. I do think the Bruins have stuck with 6-6.5m in some sort of deal, but not sure of the length on that one. Based on the comps they used and the offer they made in arbitration last year, I think it's not too illogical to say that they are in the "pay him less than he's actually worth, because we don't have to offer more" camp. That's fine. It's a tactic and they are within their rights.

I just think it's a dumb tactic with this particular player, and needlessly dumb and needlessly frugal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pia8988

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Trade him. Every goalie in Boston looks and plays better than he does anywhere else.
Upside? - a great player will be coming back in any trade. Some more cap space created. Swaymans inflated ego leaves with him.
Downside ?.... I'll have to think about it.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Trade him. Every goalie in Boston looks and plays better than he does anywhere else.
Upside? - a great player will be coming back in any trade. Some more cap space created. Swaymans inflated ego leaves with him.
Downside ?.... I'll have to think about it.
The Bruins lose a franchise goaltender?

Reactions: UncleRico

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
They should talk to Chicago about a trade. Sweeney seems to get along well with their GM and they seem infatuated with ex-Bruins (Taylor Hall, Nick Foligno just named captain, Tyler Bertuzzi, Craig Smith, Pat Maroon).

And they have assets. Multiple 1sts and 2nds this year, good young center prospects, even a good young goalie prospect.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Amazing it took a contract negotiation for Swayman to no longer be a franchise goalie.

They could probably get a late first, a 4th liner, and a massive downgrade for him though. The Bruins way.

Reactions: EverettMike

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad