Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman -V - all still silent

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
The Bruins only winning one Cup between 2009 and 2023 (when Bergeron and Krejci both retired hence me using that as a cutoff) is incredibly disappointing.

They had a couple of historic drafts coupled with an all-time free agent class at a time where it turned out they had two Hall of Fame goalies in the system. Then they got an amazing deal for Kessel that set them up to have a true dynastic run. And even then in the middle they had a chance to extend the whole thing via the draft but f***ed it up.

Stars taking hometown discounts did nothing to improve their chances at winning more Cups (the only thing that should count during the era of the Bruins) because the team never actually took advantage of those hometown discounts. The general managers left the team with major holes almost every season and a lot of warts got covered up by the goaltending.

Swayman doing the Bruins a "favor" won't matter in the slightest. If anything it might stop Don Sweeney from giving out yet another outrageous deal to a third pairing defenseman he'll inevitably have to buyout while the team carries dead cap space. Or I guess he can give away more draft picks that then hurt their chances of filling the roster with good players on rookie contracts.

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
They had championship level high end talent on amazing deals....yet still always has major obvious holes! That's the type of problem hometown discounts are supposed to help with, but THEY NEVER DID.
There are ALWAYS guys on the roster that are overpaid, that eat up cap room. The Bruins need to be quicker to clean that up.... Gryz, Backes, Beleskey and others. The problem is that dead-cap space is worse than bad cap space in many cases.

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)
I’m confused about all the talk of trading him (although I’ve read so many DKH posts that I’m no longer able to distinguish between seriousness and irony). How can we “trade” him? He’s not under contract. Can’t we only trade his rights? Or what’s the deal?

• Haha
Reactions: smithformeragent

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
I’m confused about all the talk of trading him (although I’ve read so many DKH posts that I’m no longer able to distinguish between seriousness and irony). How can we “trade” him? He’s not under contract. Can’t we only trade his rights? Or what’s the deal?
RFAs need to be qualified to retain their rights. We did that.
Now we need to come to a contract agreement. We haven't done that yet.
If we can't agree to a contract, we can trade those rights, if need be. We're not at that point yet.

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)
RFAs need to be qualified to retain their rights. We did that.
Now we need to come to a contract agreement. We haven't done that yet.
If we can't agree to a contract, we can trade those rights, if need be. We're not at that point yet.
Right, so we can’t “trade Swayman”, we can only trade his rights. Not that I want to. For the record.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
The craziest argument I read in every thread when a player is negotiating his next contract is " are you gonna haggle with your star player over a million , just get it done".

So 1M extra for Mac
1M for Pasta
Now we're talking at least 1M if not 2 for Sway.

Seems Sway wants the Mac contract.

This is the problem with this line if thinking.

Swayman, as good as he is doesn't have the credentials. He just doesn't.

His closest comparison is Sarros, he should consider himself lucky to get that contract. Sarros has proven more.

So the BS argument that he's looking out for the future goalies doesn't hold water. If that was true every goalie should be headhunting Sarros.

Last edited:

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
The craziest argument I read in every thread when a player is negotiating his next contract is " are you gonna haggle with your star player over a million , just get it done".

So 1M extra for Mac
1M for Pasta

His closest comparison is Sarros, he should consider himself lucky to get that contract. Sarros has proven more.

So the BS argument that he's looking out for the future goalies doesn't hold water. If that was true every goalie should be headhunting Sarros.
Its called Leafing it. Its how you end up with 2 11 million dollar wingers and zero playoff success.

Reactions: JOKER 192

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Because Swayman hasn't even had a bridge deal yet. He took a 1yr ARB deal.
Pasta and McAvoy had bridge deals, with Pasta taking a criminally undervalued bridge deal and deservedly getting a top long-term 3rd contract.
I see can both sides in the Swayman issue, but Swayman is trying to bank a year or two early. imo
I don't really think agents or players care what deal other guys got their big payday on. If you are a key piece of the core moving forward frankly it shouldn't really matter if this is your 1st 2nd or 8th deal.

It's very similar to the Toronto situation if you ask me. Not a chance Matthews or Marner were going to take a lot less than JT just because he was a UFA cashing in and they are RFAs. Sway looks at the guys who are core pieces here and sees that they got their piece, not that they got their piece on deal 3.

BamBamCam

Apr 12, 2011
Crowsnest Pass AB
What a weird position.

A very, very important position, but a weird one.

Andrew Raycroft wins the Calder trophy, and holds out so they bring Tim Thomas back over from Europe.

Eventually, Raycroft gets dealt for Tuukka Rask.

Great goal tending does not guarantee playoff success, but bad goaltending will certainly torpedo your chances at winning a Cup.

I honestly don’t know what either side does in this scenario. The timing is really awkward in terms of Swayman being restricted, but also looking to cash in.

Both sides are clearly playing a public Croatians game.

The Bruins’ flagship radio station is using the term “holdout” in its hourly update despite this, not technically being a holdout situation.

Feels like a game of chicken.

Imagine this place in a post game thread if Swayman isn’t signed come November and they lose because Korpisalo lets in a softie?
When did Raycroft ever hold out??

BamBamCam

Apr 12, 2011
Crowsnest Pass AB
Coming out of the lockout.

O’Connell brought Thomas back as leverage and Raycroft signed.
Due to the 2004–05 NHL lockout, Raycroft signed with Djurgårdens IF of the Swedish Elitserien on November 6, 2004.[1] However, he did not play any games for the team and signed with Tappara Tampere of the Finnish SM-liiga several months later on January 17, 2005.[1] When NHL play resumed, he struggled with the Bruins in the 2005–06 season, managing only eight wins while being a healthy scratch for the majority of the season. He was demoted to the Bruins' third-string position to starter Tim Thomas and rookie backup Hannu Toivonen.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Due to the 2004–05 NHL lockout, Raycroft signed with Djurgårdens IF of the Swedish Elitserien on November 6, 2004.[1] However, he did not play any games for the team and signed with Tappara Tampere of the Finnish SM-liiga several months later on January 17, 2005.[1] When NHL play resumed, he struggled with the Bruins in the 2005–06 season, managing only eight wins while being a healthy scratch for the majority of the season. He was demoted to the Bruins' third-string position to starter Tim Thomas and rookie backup Hannu Toivonen.

Obviously they end up dealing him for Rask.

Kind of crazy that he ended up working for NESN considering how things went down.

Reactions: BamBamCam

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
Its called Leafing it. Its how you end up with 2 11 million dollar wingers and zero playoff success.
To be fair and the same amount of first round wins the past three seasons as our beloved. Honestly thank God for the Leafs because without them this Bruins run would not be as good as it was without getting to beat them all those times.

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022

So 1M extra for Mac
1M for Pasta

You do know the next play-off round Saros wins will be his first right? I do realize however that at some point this place has evolved into a regular season success fanbase.

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK
You do know the next play-off round Saros wins will be his first right? I do realize however that at some point this place has evolved into a regular season success fanbase.
Rest easy then. Korpisalo has the same career playoff sv% as Swayman, and playoff series wins (against the Leafs too, to boot!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad