Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman -UPDATE- neither elect arbitration (page 16)

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Yes about a half dozen times in providence. Obviously no idea how it will translate to the NHL but he looks really solid at the AHL level.

Even if we didn’t go with bussi there’s a handful of free agent goalies who were cheaper than korpisalo that could have been just as serviceable in 25-27 games against the bottom feeders of the league.

I have a lot including ncaa tournament

I’m very high on him

The Korpi thing stunned me

However at 3 M not a killer since I own 3 backups in the HF Sim league and they go from 2.5 M, 2.75 M, 3.3 M in NHL

I have not seen Bussi play. I assumed he was the heir apparent as the new back-up so I was stunned as well when they brought in Korpisalo.

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024

Razor and a lot of goalie smart guys believe it too. And so does goalie Bob.

Why shouldn't we? Best blueline in the NHL maybe? Talbot played in Ottawa and was a BUM. One year later on the Kings, age 36, he was amazing again. A good D on a strong contender with a good room will do wonders, specially when you have a goalie Bob.

Babajingo

8 yrs to a goalie that hasn't even played a full load, seems a bit too long. I love Swayman and hope he gets signed. I would just cut the term a bit, even if it means more $ up front.
Whatever, just ink him please. Going into the season with one of the worst goalies in the league and one that has zero NHL games, is frightening.

Reactions: lopey

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Razor and a lot of goalie smart guys believe it too. And so does goalie Bob.

Why shouldn't we? Best blueline in the NHL maybe? Talbot played in Ottawa and was a BUM. One year later on the Kings, age 36, he was amazing again. A good D on a strong contender with a good room will do wonders, specially when you have a goalie Bob.

We should trade Swayman. Right now, trade him. Why would we pay big money for a goalie when we apparently have a wizard coaching them? Makes no sense. Forget having a "nuclear deterrent," they should tell Swayman's agent to go f*** himself. League minimum or they'll send him off to Siberia.*

*Buffalo

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
We should trade Swayman. Right now, trade him. Why would we pay big money for a goalie when we apparently have a wizard coaching them? Makes no sense. Forget having a "nuclear deterrent," they should tell Swayman's agent to go f*** himself. League minimum or they'll send him off to Siberia.*

*Buffalo

I'm not on team 10 or 9.5. But 8 on a max deal? I'm in just for the back half of the deal.

Jeremy has rare qualities beyond just being good in nets. He's a leader, he's good in the community, he has a very short memory (if things go bad). You want those guys making big dollars (over the problem guys who have talent).

But yeah 10 I don't think I can do. And obviously they won't or it would be done.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
It will get done because it has to get done. Hopefully it’s going amicably because Sway wants to be in Boston. But make no mistake, he has a ton of leverage. Much more than Donny. Just the way it is - and whatever it is we’ll all be happy.

Why? Because Korpisalo and Bussi is more lottery pick territory than SC contender territory. And Boston didn’t just spend a lot on a top center and a bruising Dman to be a lottery pick.
Swayman should have been signed before Donny traded away any leverage he had. Maybe this signing will turn out to be a big nothing and both sides already know what it will be, but we the fans are left to speculate, and that might not be a positive.

Reactions: Number8

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I'm not actually worried about this, I'm really not. But I'm not 100% convinced it'll definitely work out easily, either. Sway clearly harbored some ill-will about arbitration last year, so it would be silly to say there's no chance that could factor into these negotiations.
I agree even if signed that "ill will" could always be there and the longer this goes on, the more it could become a issue, even after signing.

Reactions: EverettMike

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Swayman should have been signed before Donny traded away any leverage he had. Maybe this signing will turn out to be a big nothing and both sides already know what it will be, but we the fans are left to speculate, and that might not be a positive.

Swaymans agent could have gotten wind of the fact that Ullmark was being actively shopped.

If he did then he’d be doing his client a disservice by having him sign before he’s moved.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016

*Buffalo

buckets of smelt dont count against the cap...

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Swaymans agent could have gotten wind of the fact that Ullmark was being actively shopped.

If he did then he’d be doing his client a disservice by having him sign before he’s moved.
True, you could be right but what is the holdup now, and did Sweeney have his number before he moved Ullmark.

Hazelwig

Feb 24, 2023
Sweeny wanted/needed a first round pick. Korpi isn't nearly the leverage that Ullmark would have been (not even close really), but the move had to be made prior to the draft. Fwiw, I don't think NJ feels Marstrom is better than Ullmark; it was the contract issue that made him a more desirable get. Sweeney was in a tough spot: the Ullmark extension questions marks, Sweeney's want/desire to get back into the first round, and the need for a legit NHL backup for Swayman given the fact he has never carried the load of a full season and the Bruins firmly believe in a goalie by committee approach for the regular season. Not all situations are perfect. I think Sweeney did well. I also think Korpi at $3m (with the cap increasing each year and buyout potential if needed) is really solid.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

Why should the Bruins care if fans are speculating? Not only that, but fans are constantly speculating. Who might we sign, who might we trade, who might make the roster, who might get waived......its all speculating.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Sweeny wanted/needed a first round pick. Korpi isn't nearly the leverage that Ullmark would have been (not even close really), but the move had to be made prior to the draft. Fwiw, I don't think NJ feels Marstrom is better than Ullmark; it was the contract issue that made him a more desirable get. Sweeney was in a tough spot: the Ullmark extension questions marks, Sweeney's want/desire to get back into the first round, and the need for a legit NHL backup for Swayman given the fact he has never carried the load of a full season and the Bruins firmly believe in a goalie by committee approach for the regular season. Not all situations are perfect. I think Sweeney did well. I also think Korpi at $3m (with the cap increasing each year and buyout potential if needed) is really solid.
I am not disagreeing with what you are saying, but if you don't know what the hell you are going to sign Swawman for and maybe you do, but they need a goal scorer, they had great goaltending this season including the playoffs, so if you get Sway in the fold, and he takes up to much cap and the savings lessened with the with Korpi signing that you would have had with Bussi, really hurts your ability to get a goal scorer, again the problem in the playoffs was not in goal, and it won't be this year, but scoring will remain a issue.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I am not disagreeing with what you are saying, but if you don't know what the hell you are going to sign Swawman for and maybe you do, but they need a goal scorer, they had great goaltending this season including the playoffs, so if you get Sway in the fold, and he takes up to much cap and the savings lessened with the with Korpi signing that you would have had with Bussi, really hurts your ability to get a goal scorer, again the problem in the playoffs was not in goal, and it won't be this year, but scoring will remain a issue.

Bruins added a top 6 center, should help the goal production.

Scoring in the playoffs will always be an issue when you have to play the best defensive team in the league and eventual Cup winner.

Reactions: Gordoff

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
The idea that Sweeney has no leverage is what I don't understand.

"Don't sign before Dec 1? Sit out the year and lose $8 million you will never recover."

And before anyone e says they can't say that to Swayman: negotiations are between Sweeney and agent not Sweeney and Swayman
I agree Dom. It's not that Swayman has all the leverage. Sweeney has leverage, no doubt.

However, the reality is that he really only has a scorched earth option. I've done a lot of negotiations over the years in business and if you find yourself in the "I can always press the button and we all die" position, you are pretty well boxed into a corner.

I think it will get done. But if I were forced to call a bluff, I'd rather be in the agent's shoes than Sweeney's.

Reactions: Gordoff

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad