Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman -neither elect arbitration (page 16)

Status
Not open for further replies.

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
You agree that you wouldn’t pay Swayman more than $6M per year?
That is correct, he is a goalie who has played 44 games in a season once. Give him a 6 mil bridge for a couple of years and then if all goes well pay him the going rate.

He is only 25 and even at 27 he can still get a very lucrative contract.

You can only go so far as the GM and then you have to draw the line. He is going to ask for 9 mil and you are just supposed to hand it over.

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
That is correct, he is a goalie who has played 44 games in a season once. Give him a 6 mil bridge for a couple of years and then if all goes well pay him the going rate.

You can only go so far as the GM and then you have to draw the line. He is going to ask for 9 mil and you are just supposed to hand it over.
He is asking for more than 9 , I am sure. If it was 9 this would be done already, I am assuming he is looking for 10+ and Sweeney is probably at 8, split the difference, 9m at 8 years and move on.

Great defense, great starting goalie, good depth at center and it looks like they will be tough to play against again.

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
So if sway comes in at number that puts us over the cap, how do we get under?

Obviously it depends on how much , send korp to prov but what else ?

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

Lets say he would agree to that. In 2 years you have a franchise goalie who is an unrestricted Free Agent and heading into a market where he will likely get 10+ million and could easily get more and from someone else, and with the knowledge his team low balled him twice

He is asking for more than 9 , I am sure. If it was 9 this would be done already, I am assuming he is looking for 10+ and Sweeney is probably at 8, split the difference, 9m at 8 years and move on.

Great defense, great starting goalie, good depth at center and it looks like they will be tough to play against again.

Honestly we know nothing. it is just as likely that Sweeney is at 7 and Swayman is at 9. We have no idea.. much like we had no idea what a Ullmark trade might be before it happened, and people on both sides kept insisting they were right whether Ullmark was work a top 10 pick, plus a good player, or he was worth no more than a 3rd rounder

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

Ultimately they could decide to send guys to the minors and carry 22 skaters instead of 23 at least for stretches of times,. They could drop to 20 or 21 if they want for a home stand if everyone is healthy to bank some space. Lots of paper transactions during the year. Honestly even if Sway is signed and they have space they won't have a ton of space so I would expect to see some of this anyway

I hope they are not forced into a situation where they were last year where they simply couldn't have their best players on the ice because they were a couple hundred grand to expensive, and we had to dress guys making 725K instead of guys making 910K

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida

Korp to Prov only saves $1.125M and creates dead cap space of $1.875M. I can’t imagine management would do that after all the criticism of that deal. And then you need a #2 goalie, so you put Bussi in, now your savings from sending Korp down is just a few hundred grand. This is in large part why the deal was so criticized.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Even if he's asking for 9 it's not a reason to. It's his career. I don't begrudge any professional athlete for trying to get what he or she is worth.
I agree with the athlete getting what he feels he is worth, but you must agree it is the GMs job to get him at a price that he can have a well rounded team, sorry one player does not win a cup. The fans have a right to expect a team that can compete and have a legit shot at the main goal winning a cup.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
I agree with the athlete getting what he feels he is worth, but you must agree it is the GMs job to get him at a price that he can have a well rounded team, sorry one player does not win a cup. The fans have a right to expect a team that can compete and have a legit shot at the main goal winning a cup.

The GM should try to make the best deal for the team. The player should try to make the best deal for himself (based on what he values). Yes. I agree.

Not sure what the bolded has to do with anything I've said.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
The GM should try to make the best deal for the team. The player should try to make the best deal for himself (based on what he values). Yes. I agree.

Not sure what the bolded has to do with anything I've said.
not sure how the bolded came into play, not by me.

Reactions: bruinsfan1968

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
Korp to Prov only saves $1.125M and creates dead cap space of $1.875M. I can’t imagine management would do that after all the criticism of that deal. And then you need a #2 goalie, so you put Bussi in, now your savings from sending Korp down is just a few hundred grand. This is in large part why the deal was so criticized.
If Bussi beats him out by an undeniable margin and they keep Korpisalo in Boston to protect the front office’s reputation that would be the worst part to me. That would suck. I don’t buy that they play or games like this with their roster moves. I also don’t think we should fear losing the players to waivers. Best man needs to be in Boston.

BergyWho37

Only The Strong Will Survive (Never Give Up)
Jun 18, 2012
True North
Order my son a Swayman jersey for his birthday day that’s on August 9th let’s get this done before then please..

He’s turning 8 and absolutely loves him as I mentioned here before he’s the only reason why my son played goalie this past year ..

Almost asked everyday if we’ve signed him yet.. lol

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Order my son a Swayman jersey for his birthday day that’s on August 9th let’s get this done before then please..

He’s turning 8 and absolutely loves him as I mentioned here before he’s the only reason why my son played goalie this past year ..

Almost asked everyday if we’ve signed him yet.. lol
Can you swap for a Utah, Kings, Avs, jersey and some others ?.........Only 8 and he has to deal with this.

DaBroons

Aug 2, 2005
Saros is 4 years older than Swayman. If Saros was 25 right now instead of 29, you can bet the AAV would be a few million higher. Saros agreed to the lower AAV because that deal brings him to age 36 through the whole last year. Plenty of regression years likely at the end of that contract. That’s how this works.
It also works that you have to prove yourself as a starter and not a platooner.

Carl Hungus

Apr 20, 2022
I find it interesting that goalies can be asking for 9+ mil but hold far less value on the trade market than forwards/dmen. The rationale seems to be that goalies can be volatile/a crapshoot and aren't worth giving up a ton of assets to acquire. But that doesn't seem to be factoring into the paydays for the top guys?

Not trying to make a point either way, just was thinking about that earlier

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
I find it interesting that goalies can be asking for 9+ mil but hold far less value on the trade market than forwards/dmen. The rationale seems to be that goalies can be volatile/a crapshoot and aren't worth giving up a ton of assets to acquire. But that doesn't seem to be factoring into the paydays for the top guys?

Not trying to make a point either way, just was thinking about that earlier
I think the dogma that "goalies carry far less value than forwards/dmen" is what's flawed.

bruins cup

Jun 29, 2024
Korps is not going to ptown please people
He was signed as the backup to swayman
As a vet is needed to back up swayman who has never played 50 plus games and only won one playoff series and there's people that want to pay him 9 million thank goodness you are posters on here and not our GM

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
As a vet is needed to back up swayman who has never played 50 plus games and only won one playoff series and there's people that want to pay him 9 million thank goodness you are posters on here and not our GM
It isn’t what we want, it is what the market dictates.

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
Very few people can imagine themselves as the owner of a sports team. Many people can & have imagined themselves as professional athletes. Plus professional athletes come from all walks of life- rich, middle class, poor etc. where owners not so much. It's a lot easier to get on the athletes than the owners because for the most part they (the players) come from ordinary backgrounds that fans can understand.
Unfortunately in hockey it’s becoming more of the rich that can afford to play. Especially in the USA

Reactions: BMC

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
Bruins want him bad. Swayman wants Bruins Bad. You want me 10,000,000. You want to be a Bruin 7,000.000. Middle ground 8.5 x 8. To much for me but it might be what it is.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Marchand last deal was done and they sat on it and everyone here went crazy

I would not be surprised this is how they open the new season to get things going

He’s around and at Warrior working out - he’s doing stuff with kids at Warrior in August

Sweeney probably sees him 5 days a week

This is all nothing burger

I’m more worried about Patriots getting Judon & Godchaux and everyone here can agree I’m Mr Bruins

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
Unfortunately in hockey it’s becoming more of the rich that can afford to play. Especially in the USA
My 11 year old plays in south Florida youth hockey. To get him on a decently competitive team, it takes big bucks. Including travel expenses, tuition, private lessons, clinics etc, we probably paid $20k last year for his season, maybe more.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011

You may want to Google where/what Ptown is. Hint: It ain't Providence RI.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad