Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman IV - even more nothing

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Yeti34

Apr 13, 2013
Tampa
Again, what do you think the Bruins would get in a trade for an unproven goalie that thinks he's worth 8-10m a season?

That's a bet no GM in the NHL is going to make, not even the team that drafted him.

He will come in at around 7m a season, even that is a risk. If he plays lights out after a bridge deal while being a true number one then be prepared to pony up.

Until then let him sit.

Hopefully more than Korpiso and their own pick back.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I have no idea why anyone would believe the 4/$6.2M. Haven’t we seen enough to know that no one has these numbers?

We are talking about the post someone provided where something called AVP analytics was suggesting 4 years $6m AAV and 5 year $6.5m were their comp.

A handful of posters here were supporting it. It’s a couple goes back or something.

So yes while maybe most don’t have those numbers, there continues to be a healthy amount of people that believe it to be the case.

Bodit9

Sponsor
Oct 22, 2016
Upstate NY
All the comps you prefer, while the comps he and his team prefer put him closer to the 10 mill mark. Which is why comps are bullshit. It's whatever is favorable to your claim and not what's actually fair. Sway isn't going to sign a deal with a $6mill AAV (and Boston isn't going to give him $10 mill per), so folks like yourself need to accept that reality. The Bruins know he's not going to do that either. It's laughable to expect him to devalue himself to that extent, in fact.
Lol. Wut??? It's all about the comps. And all the comps as a 25 year old moderately successful goalie in a platoon put him in the $6M-$8M range, depending on term.

• Haha
Reactions: LSCII and Pia8988

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)
I think you can believe them both, and not be surprised a deal hasn't been reached yet.
Precisely my point: you think. You don’t know. None of us do and so we’re all in the same boat. And in any case, if both are true then both are wrong. No point in any of us taking one side and trashing the other since, again, we don’t really know.

Hellebuyck got 8.5 as a UFA with two Vezina's in the last 5 years.

Median #1 goalie salary is 5mil/year right now.
The median? Then half are above and half are below. So should Swayman take the alleged median, $5m, and be happy with it?

Reactions: jgatie

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
some-men-just-want-to-watch-the-world-burn-batman.gif
I know I do. ✌️🎈

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The platoon argument has to be the most disingenuous thing parroted.
Precisely. If they wanted to pay him like a platoon goalie and pay him accordingly then they shouldn’t half jettisoned one half of the platoon and made him their de facto #1 goalie. Unless they want him and Korp to platoon as well lol. Hell, that’s so preposterous it probably was their plan!

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
The median? Then half are above and half are below. So should Swayman take the alleged median, $5m, and be happy with it?
Just saying if we're talking what a #1 costs that's a pretty good measure (I'm too lazy to find the current average).

Is he top 10? #10 in the league is getting 5.9/per right now.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014

You want to punish Swayman and his value for factors outside of his control. He doesn't control his own playing time. The Bruins are being two faced about this. Trade Ullmark signaling Swayman is the de-facto #1. Then try to point back to the playing time the organization instituted to pay him less longer term.

Reactions: BTO

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
Because they anointed him their de facto #1. They’re the ones who decide that Swayman was their guy going forward. The Bruins did that, not Swayman. Still, $9.5 is absurd. As is $6.2 for someone they anointed their #1 goalie and whine they expect will lead them to the promised land.

Edit: he’s actually their #1 de facto and de jure

Reactions: LSCII

Bodit9

Sponsor
Oct 22, 2016
Upstate NY
We are talking about the post someone provided where something called AVP analytics was suggesting 4 years $6m AAV and 5 year $6.5m were their comp.

A handful of posters here were supporting it. It’s a couple goes back or something.

So yes while maybe most don’t have those numbers, there continues to be a healthy amount of people that believe it to be the case.
That was me. You can look at their whole spreadsheet here:

AFP Analytics

Most of their estimates tend to be pretty close, especially on the longer term deals.

Reactions: Roll 4 Lines

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
Because they anointed him their de facto #1. They’re the ones who decide that Swayman was their guy going forward. The Bruins did that, not Swayman. Still, $9.5 is absurd. As is $6.2 for someone they anointed their #1 goalie and whine they expect will lead them to the promised land.

Correct, so the platooned argument cuts both ways. Can't pay him as a platooned goalie when you traded 1/2 the platoon away and expect him to be the defacto #1 AND don't ask for money like you started 70% percent of the starts or have ever played more than 44 games in a regular season. Doesn't make it disingenuous.

Again, this is why I go to the Saros comp. Extremely similar stats in year 25. I tack on extra money though for what Swayman likely lost on the one year arbitration deal.

Reactions: Bodit9

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Lol. Wut??? It's all about the comps. And all the comps as a 25 year old moderately successful goalie in a platoon put him in the $6M-$8M range, depending on term.
Who picks the comps? When a team is picking their comps, are they doing so in favor of the player or one that suits their purposes? Now when a player picks a comp, is he picking one that favors the team or himself? The process is biased because both sides pick ones that are favorable to their claim, which makes the comps useless. Especially in a case like this where there's not even an arbitrator to decide.

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
Oh, I thought we were discarding first round performances.... I mean that was the criticism against Swayman. Or are skaters not responsible passed the 1st round?
I was actually responding to a poster that not one single player other than Swayman played well.

In my opinion Freddy, Mason and geekie played well based on what was expected of them going in. Thats all

Bodit9

Sponsor
Oct 22, 2016
Upstate NY
Precisely. If they wanted to pay him like a platoon goalie and pay him accordingly then they shouldn’t half jettisoned one half of the platoon and made him their de facto #1 goalie. Unless they want him and Korp to platoon as well lol. Hell, that’s so preposterous it probably was their plan!
Bruins have been running a platoon for about the last 7 years or so to keep the goalies fresh and healthy. They will probably do the same again this year with Korpy or Bussi. Probably 60-40 or 65-35 split.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad