Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman IV - even more nothing

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
All the comps you prefer, while the comps he and his team prefer put him closer to the 10 mill mark. Which is why comps are bullshit. It's whatever is favorable to your claim and not what's actually fair. Sway isn't going to sign a deal with a $6mill AAV (and Boston isn't going to give him $10 mill per), so folks like yourself need to accept that reality. The Bruins know he's not going to do that either. It's laughable to expect him to devalue himself to that extent, in fact.

I'd love for someone to find me a platooned goalie who has never started more than 43 games a year who is an RFA that signed a contract that is the equivalent to 12.5% of the cap. They find that comp and I'll sign Swayman's 10m contract myself (I'll have to scrounge together a few nickles I find in my couch but I'll make it work).

Folks like me..... namely me, are saying pay the kid 7-7.5m. Not what Sweeney offered. I've even said I wouldn't cry if they gave him 8-8.5m. It's the 10m, "setting the market" talk that irks me. It's also setting a new precedent and there are probably a handful of players who were more deserving of that over the last 2 decades than Swayman.

But we're getting into this weird realm where we can't look at other goalies that have nearly identical situations at Swayman and can't say "that's the most direct comp" without people saying "well that's just your opinion man." How is stating someones age, stats, GP numbers, and contract status, term, length an opinion or preference?

Also, if comps are bullshit and don't matter, then how does arbitration work? I'm honestly asking because I'd love to know how they randomly come to a "fair" number then.

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
Oh I’m thinking it through plenty. Yes he will leapfrog the others after 4 years.

Swaymans just not going to agree to a contract where the majority of the deal he’s paid as a middle of the road starting goalie

Rico, what will soybean futures or a barrel of oil be if 4 years? Seriously, you've made some good opinions, but this one rings hollow. If he was the best player on the team, I'd agree, but he's not their best player. That's Pasta, potentially McAvoy(2nd best) if he doesn't have to be the hammer.

Reactions: PlayMakers

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK
4yr x $6.75M would be the highest any RFA goalie has received on a mid length (4-5yr) term contract. And for any term length for RFA goalies, would it would put him 2nd behind Vasilevskiy who signed for 8 years.

Think that type of deal, maybe a bit higher AAV up to $7M, should be what gets it done. Bruins don't take on a ton of risk with an 8 year deal, and Swayman sets the best comparable yet for future RFA goalies that come after him. Playing behind an excellent d-core in Boston, great chance he wins a Vezina or maybe two by the time he's 29, and set himself up for a big ticket 7-8yr contract. Should easy make $100M+ in his career.

Reactions: Bodit9

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
Rico has binky, Rico has a binky.....:D

So how was Christmas with the Swayman's last year?

triumph.jpg

I kid, I kid!

Reactions: GordonHowe

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
Maybe the honorable thing for our forum posters to do is deny our programming, stop reproducing these comments, walk hand in hand into thread extinction, one last midnight - brothers and sisters opting out of a raw deal.

IMG_6870.jpeg

Reactions: Donnie Shulzhoffer

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Rico, what will soybean futures or a barrel of oil be if 4 years? Seriously, you've made some good opinions, but this one rings hollow. If he was the best player on the team, I'd agree, but he's not their best player. That's Pasta, potentially McAvoy(2nd best) if he doesn't have to be the hammer.

wholeheartedly agree he’s not their best player.

But we aren’t talking about him making pasta or McAvoy money. I’m specifically talking to the crowd saying they believe he’s worth $6m

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
Maybe the honorable thing for our forum posters to do is deny our programming, stop reproducing these comments, walk hand in hand into thread extinction, one last midnight - brothers and sisters opting out of a raw deal.

View attachment 908244
This thread today reminds of those times when you left the party, had to go back because you forgot a jacket and walk in and see 5 people still there still arguing the same topic that broke up the party to begin with.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018

But we aren’t talking about him making pasta or McAvoy money. I’m specifically talking to the crowd saying they believe he’s worth $6m
95% of the posters in this thread (minimum) believe he’s worth between $7M and $9M on a long term deal. Almost all understand it’s less for a shorter term deal.

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)
Come back and see us when he proves he's a number one goalie, then we can talk.
If the Bruins don’t think he’s a #1 goalie then they shouldn’t have traded their #1 goalie. The fact is that they decided that Swayman is their guy (rightfully, imo) so he *is* their #1 goalie. As I just said above, if they didn’t want to pay him like a #1 goalie then they shouldn’t have anointed him their #1 goalie. This is Sweeney (if the $6.2/4 is to be believed) wanting to have is cake and eat it too. Unless Swayman really wants $9.5 and won’t budge. After all, we don’t know if $8/8 or $8.5/6 or whatever is or is not in the table. All we have is nonsense.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
If the Bruins don’t think he’s a #1 goalie then they shouldn’t have traded their #1 goalie. The fact is that they decided that Swayman is their guy (rightfully, imo) so he *is* their #1 goalie. As I just said above, if they didn’t want to pay him like a #1 goalie then they shouldn’t have anointed him their #1 goalie. This is Sweeney (if the $6.2/4 is to be believed) wanting to have is cake and eat it too. Unless Swayman really wants $9.5 and won’t budge. After all, we don’t know if $8/8 or $8.5/6 or whatever is or is not in the table. All we have is nonsense.
I have no idea why anyone would believe the 4/$6.2M. Haven’t we seen enough to know that no one has these numbers?

• Haha
Reactions: Pia8988 and lopey

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH

I'm repeating myself over and over that 7.5 bridges status/goodwill for both sides. 4-5 year deal.
We get him to the middle of his prime. At 30YO he can leave and get rich, hopefully having accomplished what all true athletes, want, to be a champion.

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)
I have no idea why anyone would believe the 4/$6.2M. Haven’t we seen enough to know that no one has these numbers?
So why should we believe $9.5? But that’s my point: we neither really know the initial asks nor if either side is unwilling to move from said asks. As I said, all we have is nonsense, and all that does is fuel rampant speculation of people (myself included) trying to make sense of a situation while remaining in ignorance of the basic facts. Entertaining to be sure, but speculation just the same.

Reactions: UncleRico

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK

So why should we believe $9.5? But that’s my point: we neither really know the initial asks nor if either side is unwilling to move from said asks. As I said, all we have is nonsense, and all that does is fuel rampant speculation of people (myself included) trying to make sense of a situation while remaining in ignorance of the basic facts. Entertaining to be sure, but speculation just the same.
I think you can believe them both, and not be surprised a deal hasn't been reached yet.

Reactions: Bodit9

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Sweeney screwed this up from the beginning. I think Sweeney misread what Swayman was going to ask, or Sway and his agent misled Sweeney as to what they wanted, and then when Ullmark was traded the deal changed. Ullmark was traded at that time because Sweeney wanted a number pick, and that is why he made that deal when he did, was it smart move, not to sure it was. I think that Last year's arbitration talks as left both sides with a lot of bad feelings and in need of some serious fence mending, is that possible not in my opinion. I think Sweeney is in a must situation that he must need to take care of a goal scorer, a right wing, and start looking to fill Marchands shoes, maybe not this year, but definitely should be in the process. I also believe if Sway is signed for what he is seeking, and this teams struggles because they cannot fill holes in front of him, and this is just my opinion his agent will put the pressure on for a trade. I am far from being a Sweeney guy, but the other day at the press conference that he lost his cool, good for him if feels that way say, don't p***y foot around. I also think now is the time to take calls from other GMs and evaluate the what they have to say. Bottom line Jeremy, I wish you were going to be in net for a while, but it is time to move on from him, I know it is harsh and will be unpopular, but that is how I feel.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
95% of the posters in this thread (minimum) believe he’s worth between $7M and $9M on a long term deal. Almost all understand it’s less for a shorter term deal.

lol 95% minimum but there’s more than half a dozen actively taking today about how he’s worth 4 years $6m AAV.

Welcome back by the way

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Had a great 1st round but the entire playoffs doesnt seem fair to other goalies who actually win. Can't fault sway for throwing anything at the wall he can to prop himself up. End of the day just a 1st round win vs Toronto
Hellebuyck got 8.5 as a UFA with two Vezina's in the last 5 years.
Median #1 goalie salary is 5mil/year right now.

Reactions: Walkenthewalk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad