Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman IV - even more nothing

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
If Swayman holds out and the Bs miss the playoffs what are the odds Sweeney loses his job?

If the bruins miss the playoffs it’s almost guaranteed he will lose his job, with that said I don’t think they will miss the playoffs. There is just too sizable of a gap right now with the bottom half the league

Only needed 91 points to make the playoffs last year in the east.

Though I do believe going from swayman/Ullmark to korpisalo/bussi would drop us from 109 to the mid to high 90s in point total

Last edited:
Reactions: BigGoalBrad

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
If Swayman holds out and the Bs miss the playoffs what are the odds Sweeney loses his job?
well he did win one first round the past three years so that probably gives him an extra decade of security

If the bruins miss the playoffs it’s almost guaranteed he will lose his job, with that said I don’t think they will miss the playoffs. There is just too sizable of a gap right now with the bottom half the league

Though I do believe going from swayman/Ullmark to korpisalo/bussi would drop us from 109 to the mid to high 90s in point total
Agreed. The team as a whole is just too good IMO. I actually love the makeup of the team, but would like the young phenom back there.

Nope thats not what he said either.

Swayman was awarded a one-year, $3.48-million contract in arbitration last year. As a restricted free agent again in 2024, Swayman's in prime position for a bigger deal. He emerged as the Bruins' No. 1 netminder last season, and Boston, which currently has over $8 million in cap space, traded goaltender Linus Ullmark over the summer.

"And the answer I'm going to give you this year is that I've educated myself and that I understand the business side of it all," Swayman added. "It's given me a complete new mindset of understanding the business and how to react to it. I understand the cap is going up, and where it will be in years. I understand my comparables, and how I can't ruin the goalie market for other guys that are going to be in my shoes down the line."

He said he doesn't want to ruin the goalie market. So hes saying he doesn't want to take a hometown discount because he feels it will put pressure on other goalies to also take hometowns discounts when their organization says " well swayman took a hometown discount".
translated by the front office groupies as 8/80.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Sweeney will not get fired for not signing Swayman, but he would deserve to get fired for signing Elias Ullmark if he does not live up to his contract and that is a very real possibility.

• Haha
Reactions: pearljamvs5

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
No team should ever sign anyone.

It is kinda funny. Stars and guys who perform on their ELC are steals. The middle class guys tend to be bad value. But building a team of stars and ELC guys isn’t actually viable in real life. No team can keep that ELC pipeline going. So you gotta fill in with middle class guys. Just gotta commit to the right ones.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

If Swayman holds out to Dec 1st the Bruins will have played 25 games. Korpisalo going from starting 8 games to 15 games in that time period ain’t gonna make or break this team as long as Bussi is not a complete tire fire.

If Swayman holds out beyond that, which obviously won’t happen, you have to think it would be an organizational choice not to give in. In which case, I don’t think it’s only Sweeney that would get the axe.

Reactions: lopey

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine

What a stroke of sheer luck it would be if Bussi ends up being the real deal or at the very least, a capable netminder to the point spending 8-9 million on a goaltender isn't needed and they get some good assets for Swayman. Way too much of a gamble to take though - getting him signed is probably the difference between a top seeding vs wild card spot if he isn't.

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Sweeney will not get fired for not signing Swayman, but he would deserve to get fired for signing Elias Ullmark if he does not live up to his contract and that is a very real possibility.
The most coveted UFA this summer?

Cap hit isn’t crazy and Lindholm could have had that same offer from 15-20 teams.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
What a stroke of sheer luck it would be if Bussi ends up being the real deal or at the very least, a capable netminder to the point spending 8-9 million on a goaltender isn't needed and they get some good assets for Swayman. Way too much of a gamble to take though - getting him signed is probably the difference between a top seeding vs wild card spot if he isn't.

I’ll gladly take swayman back in the 8s. All star goalie who was our best player in the playoffs.

granted I think it’s extremely dumb to have a top 5 paid goalie and a top 5 paid backup goalie. That is a serious lapse of judgement by management. If you have a top 5 paid goalie you should be able to make up some of the cost with an average back up at average pay. I don’t blame swayman for managements mistake there though.

Reactions: NeelyDan

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
If im Sweeny, i go down on the sword.. Bruins are easily good enough to make playoffs.. even with Swayman, Bruins arent winning the cup, so who cares - might as well join in with a chip and a chair.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I’ll gladly take swayman back in the 8s. All star goalie who was our best player in the playoffs.

granted I think it’s extremely dumb to have a top 5 paid goalie and a top 5 paid backup goalie. That is a serious lapse of judgement by management. If you have a top 5 paid goalie you should be able to make up some of the cost with an average back up at average pay. I don’t blame swayman for managements mistake there though.
Right but if Swayman isn’t signed and Korpisalo is good that contract becomes a steal and we get 2 more years.

Might as well see if we can get high end goaltending on the cheap and if not maybe then cave to Swaymans demands.

Regardless I’m way less of a fan of him today than I was a few days/weeks ago.

• Haha
Reactions: Pia8988

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
It is kinda funny. Stars and guys who perform on their ELC are steals. The middle class guys tend to be bad value. But building a team of stars and ELC guys isn’t actually viable in real life. No team can keep that ELC pipeline going. So you gotta fill in with middle class guys. Just gotta commit to the right ones.
Therein lies the issue.

Still appears that they pay the big contracts for the big boys and sign all manner of forgive, bottom feeders.

It's the middle class that gets squeezed. I think. Maybe that has changed,

✌️👀

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Right but if Swayman isn’t signed and Korpisalo is good that contract becomes a steal and we get 2 more years.

Might as well see if we can get high end goaltending on the cheap and if not maybe then cave to Swaymans demands.

Ya “if “ korpisalo is good, is a very big if.

Korpisalo as the starting goaltender has a much higher probability of being a disaster than a steal.

He’s a 30 year old goaltender who has played 40+ games 1 time in his career and he was one of the worst goalies in the league.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA

Just throwing darts to land on a opinion

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005

I think in general a team should never say "What if we got rid of good players and replaced them with far less talented players?"

Ya “if “ korpisalo is good, is a very big if.

Korpisalo as the starting goaltender has a much higher probability of being a disaster than a steal.

He’s a 30 year old goaltender who has played 40+ games 1 time in his career and he was one of the worst goalies in the league.
Hey if we replaced Pasta w/ Max Jones and Jones scored 40 goals, we'd get 40 goals for 1m instead of 11.25m.

Reactions: UncleRico

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad