Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman IV - even more nothing

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Juneau wanted a one-way contract to pay him the same even if he was sent down.
No GM would ever comply to that.
But I know....Harry is evil!!!! Grrrrrr!

This is a total non-response to my point, but I think you know that.

Also, Harry Sinden took Ray f***ing Bourque to arbitration, so yeah, he is evil.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
He's said he wants to set a good comparable for future goalies.

Maybe I'm putting that comment together with the rumored contract ask to come to that opinion. And maybe they aren't true, but the rumored ask for $10M/yr or the McAvoy contract is definitely resetting the market for 25 year old RFA goalies, 2 years away from UFA and who haven't been Vezina winners/finalists.

We’ve also heard the following rumors

-chychrun is part of the Ullmark package
- swaymans camp and Sweeney haven’t been in contact for 3 weeks
-swayman was going to sign within 24 hours starting 9/17
-swayman and the team are closer than what the media is say(reported in august)

I’d say about every rumor has been brutally off. So I wouldn’t trust them on the $10m thing either

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
His comments do not even come close to suggesting he is trying to be a poster child for high prices goalies.

You should be back and listen again. He’s trying to get paid his worth as a 25 year old all star.
Swayman said mid summer he would set the value for goalies down the road. Sounded like it came from the NAPA

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
We’ve also heard the following rumors

-chychrun is part of the Ullmark package
- swaymans camp and Sweeney haven’t been in contact for 3 weeks
-swayman was going to sign within 24 hours starting 9/17
-swayman and the team are closer than what the media is say(reported in august)

I’d say about every rumor has been brutally off. So I wouldn’t trust them on the $10m thing either
Don't forget that it couldn't happen while the Hlinka was going on but that it would get done after that!

• Haha
Reactions: EverettMike

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Based on an 8-year, $64 million contract, here is how the cap hit is affected based on signing date for whoever asked.

Swayman Contract.PNG

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
He is ineligible to play for the rest of the season, he doesnt become a UFA unless Boston doesnt qualify him.
Hence why he will most likely fire his agent and sign. Swayman camp can only hope the back ups fail otherwise they are f d. No doubt the union is pressuring Sway to stand firm and set the goalie market. All to obvious. O

• Haha
Reactions: Pia8988

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Hence why he will most likely fire his agent and sign. Swayman camp can only hope the back ups fail otherwise they are f d. No doubt the union is pressuring Sway to stand firm and set the goalie market. All to obvious. O

He can demand a trade no matter how well or not the backups play.

Even if he sits out the whole year in the NHL, how long are the Bruins going to let a major asset bring them zero value? At some point they would move him.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
AFP Analytics had a spreadsheet with all projected contracts before free agency began based on prior contract comps. Their comps for Sway were Gibson, Hellebuyck, Shesterkin, and Demko.

They projected 5 years, $6.43M AAV. I'm sure Donny is basing his offer(s) off of those. Big gap between ~$9M+ and $6.5M. Hopefully they can meet in the middle somewhere. And soon.

Saros last contract is another very fair comp and falls inline with these numbers. An 8 year term makes it hard because of those far out years with a much higher cap, Swayman could be getting north of 10 if he keeps proving it. It’s why I think a 4-6 year deal is where we will end up. Maybe closer to 7 than 6 AAV.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
And what specifically did he say to make you feel that way because I haven’t heard anything remotely close to him saying he wants to reset the goalie market
You can bet the PA does.

And I'm certain they have made their position known.

I don't think that at all, what I think is management and some fans want to pay for his value not what he might do, and also what he might not do, I am sure everyone saying pay the man will defend the signing if he sucks.
Radio silence.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blowfish

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
Saros last contract is another very fair comp and falls inline with these numbers. An 8 year term makes it hard because of those far out years with a much higher cap, Swayman could be getting north of 10 if he keeps proving it. It’s why I think a 4-6 year deal is where we will end up. Maybe closer to 7 than 6 AAV.
You would hope 6-8 with a number it as close to 8 as you can get. I wonder which side is the holdup? If the agent is leaking these numbers it would appear the Bruins aren’t coming up.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Swayman said mid summer he would set the value for goalies down the road. Sounded like it came from the NAPA

Nope thats not what he said either.

Swayman was awarded a one-year, $3.48-million contract in arbitration last year. As a restricted free agent again in 2024, Swayman's in prime position for a bigger deal. He emerged as the Bruins' No. 1 netminder last season, and Boston, which currently has over $8 million in cap space, traded goaltender Linus Ullmark over the summer.

"And the answer I'm going to give you this year is that I've educated myself and that I understand the business side of it all," Swayman added. "It's given me a complete new mindset of understanding the business and how to react to it. I understand the cap is going up, and where it will be in years. I understand my comparables, and how I can't ruin the goalie market for other guys that are going to be in my shoes down the line."

He said he doesn't want to ruin the goalie market. So hes saying he doesn't want to take a hometown discount because he feels it will put pressure on other goalies to also take hometowns discounts when their organization says " well swayman took a hometown discount".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad