Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman IV - even more nothing

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I also want to know why I haven't seen one person call Elias Lindholm or Nikita Zadorov selfish. Why is an overpriced free agent deal not some sort of personal failing worthy of scorn but Jeremy Swayman is a selfish dickhead? Why didn't Lindholm or Zadorov sign for a lot less? Why didn't they take team friendly deals? What teh f*** have they ever done for the Boston Bruins? Jeremy Swayman has done a shit ton, but he's the bad guy and they're swell fellas?

"Well, they were free agents and he's restricted."

If they cared about winning they wouldn't have handicapped the Bs with these high-priced deals, right? Or does that only go one (s)way when we want to shit all over a talented homegrown kid who has never given us a reason to root against him?

Sorry Mike... don't think it works like that. You're comparing apples to oranges here with restricted vs unrestricted. I don't think Swayman is selfish at all for asking what he feels he's worth but the Bruins also have a right to not feel his resume doesnt quite match his demands just yet.

loosemoose

May 31, 2020
I don't think Saros and Hellebuyck are quite comparable since they are starting their new contract in their 30s. Swayman would be 25 if he signs, which is a pretty big difference.

Rask was 25 or 26 when he signed an 8 year deal. Rask signed his 8 year 7 million deal when he had played just one lockout shortened season as the unqualified starter, with a maximum of 45 games played in a regular season. In today's cap world that would be around 9.5 million AAV. Rask had stronger resume at that point, but not by a mile. A long term deal at around 8 to 8.5 million sounds reasonable for both sides.

Reactions: SwayHeyKid

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
A guy trying to maximize his contract is not siding against his teammates. That's utter crap.
I didn't say that, I was replying to the statement that he is concerned with helping is fellow goaltenders, did you take into account that he signs and is overpaid a teammate might lose his job,

• Haha
Reactions: Dr Quincy

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
Sorry Mike... don't think it works like that. You're comparing apples to oranges here with restricted vs unrestricted. I don't think Swayman is selfish at all for asking what he feels he's worth but the Bruins also have a right to not feel his resume doesnt quite match his demands just yet.
I understand if you feel that way but also on no planet is Zadorov worth 5 mil per season. People were laughing at the Flames return for him and calling him a replacement level player. Now, he had a very good playoffs. How come his short term audition seems to fit the bill for a big contract but Swaymans career to this point isn’t?

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com

Sorry, but you missed my point entirely.

I'm also directing it at the (way too many) people who are attacking Swayman on a moral level, which does not seem to include you.

Reactions: TD Charlie

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
"Gibson got that deal five years ago and hasn’t played a playoff game since. 8x8.5 is the way to go. If you can get him to 8 do it"

This is so ironic isn't?

Poster wants to give the guy a max contract but admits that after overpaying for Gibson 5 years ago he hasn't made a difference in his team making the playoffs.

Pure gold.

Good news is the Bruins don't need Sway to make the playoffs. He's a 7m dollar goalie as of today, who knows maybe the bruins feel this is as good as he gets.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
I didn't say that, I was replying to the statement that he is concerned with helping is fellow goaltenders, did you take into account that he signs and is overpaid a teammate might lose his job,

No because that makes no sense. The Bs aren't going to have less players on their roster because of Swayman's contract. And asking him to take less so others can hypothetically get more is bullshit, too.

And I actually do think he has an obligation to other goaltenders in the league. They're part of the same union. I realize not everyone will feel that way (for many reasons, both good and bad), but I do.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
No because that makes no sense. The Bs aren't going to have less players on their roster because of Swayman's contract. And asking him to take less so others can hypothetically get more is bullshit, too.

And I actually do think he has an obligation to other goaltenders in the league. They're part of the same union. I realize not everyone will feel that way (for many reasons, both good and bad), but I do.
I am moving on...........

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Its the thread that never ends
It goes on and on my friends
We thought there'd be a signing any time about now
But were stuck here still debating how

Its the thread that never ends....

• Haha
Reactions: Blowfish

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I understand if you feel that way but also on no planet is Zadorov worth 5 mil per season. People were laughing at the Flames return for him and calling him a replacement level player. Now, he had a very good playoffs. How come his short term audition seems to fit the bill for a big contract but Swaymans career to this point isn’t?

Again, it's restricted vs unrestricted. Lindholm/Zadorov were both going to go to the team who makes the big splash offer and with the right fit, as most unrestricted players do. If Boston comes in low and the players sign somewhere else, the narrative suddenly becomes " same old Boston, cheapskate Jacobs at it again " or " Sweeney, always the bridesmaid, can't close the big deal " or " why cant we get players like that ". I see it all the time here when there's a player the board likes that's potentially available for trade or free agency.

Reactions: BBruins

Midship

Jan 7, 2016
Swayman cares more about the future contracts of other NHL goalies than the success of his current team/teammates. Get this dude outta here.

• Haha
Reactions: Pia8988

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Are some folk actually defending Swayman and calling out Sweeney for the hold-out? I'm just glad we have a GM that isn't afraid to challenge and question. I still say this will get done soon. Pressure is all on Swayman.

• Haha
Reactions: Pia8988

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Again, technically this is not a hold out.

What it is , is a roll of the dice by both IMO.
If team starts without him and is in solid playoff contention say by Thanksgiving, pressure is on Swayman to sign so as to not lose a season.
If Bs looking bad and off to bad start especially in goal pressure switches to Sweeney

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
Swayman cares more about the future contracts of other NHL goalies than the success of his current team/teammates. Get this dude outta here.

Are some folk actually defending Swayman and calling out Sweeney for the hold-out? I'm just glad we have a GM that isn't afraid to challenge and question. I still say this will get done soon. Pressure is all on Swayman.
How do you guys know what Sweeney is even offering? Amazing it's all on Swayman and his ask, which noone knows either.

Would love to hire you both however as you appear to be true company people and your salary doesn't mean all that much to you, and you would take less than your worth in your minds.

How is the pressure oin Swayman? Did he deal a Vezina winning goalie before his other vezina caliber goalie was signed? The GM looks like an absolute buffoon right now.

He went from Sydney Sweeney and Kate Upton to Roseanne Barr and Rosie O'Donnell.

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
A lot of you seem to be under the impression that this is self-serving (solely) by Sway, when the reality is (whether you buy it or not) he may feel he’s doing something bigger picture for his goaltender colleagues - if that’s the case, your qualm is with altruism and not Jeremy

But Jeremy is NOT the goalie to reset the market. He just isn't. That's the issue.

Jeremy resetting the market would be like Gustav Forsling resetting it for D. And he's won something!

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
The big danger right now is an offer sheet that a team might offer Swayman that can cripple the Bruins' long-term plans.
What team could afford to add a contract like that as teams are starting camps. I would assume a team could clear cap but would be tough at this stage.

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
What team could afford to add a contract like that as teams are starting camps. I would assume a team could clear cap but would be tough at this stage.

I made a list a few pages back. The places he'd want to leave Boston for? I mean go ahead kid. Enjoy the rebuild where your S% drops to .905 and you're a buyout soon.

Being a 9M+ goalie is no joke. See the other guys who got overpaid and then had to show up to that contract. Some dudes don't come back from that. It's amazing Bob did (and won a cup).

Reactions: Bodit9 and GoBs

BamBamCam

Apr 12, 2011
Crowsnest Pass AB
I can't believe most people here are blaming Swayman for this debacle. This is all on Gross given Swayman bad guidance and advice. It's the way Gross operates from Krug to Nylander to even Gaudreau's(RIP) contracts. This is Gross's only negotiation tactic ask for the moon and don't sign until management folds. Bottom line Swayman should look for a new agent or risk sitting out a least a year.

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
I can't believe most people here are blaming Swayman for this debacle. This is all on Gross given Swayman bad guidance and advice. It's the way Gross operates from Krug to Nylander to even Gaudreau's(RIP) contracts. This is Gross's only negotiation tactic ask for the moon and don't sign until management folds. Bottom line Swayman should look for a new agent or risk sitting out a least a year.

Who hired Gross?

Reactions: Blowfish

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
A lot of you seem to be under the impression that this is self-serving (solely) by Sway, when the reality is (whether you buy it or not) he may feel he’s doing something bigger picture for his goaltender colleagues - if that’s the case, your qualm is with altruism and not Jeremy

Should we be interested in sway and his mission for the greater good of goalies. It's all about results for Boston imo. He had a good round vs Toronto but that means little in a cup quest

Reactions: Midship

Midship

Jan 7, 2016
Swayman/Swayman's camp might as well be used interchangeably in all discussions.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
I wonder how far apart Sweeney and Swayman are. If they are both looking long-term, in my opinion, anything 8-years in the $8M range is a bargain for the Bruins especially when the cap is most likely going up every year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad