Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman IV - even more nothing

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
This is one of the many bits of revisionist history from the Thornton trade that management (Sinden and MOC) have always sold. There was no cap when Thornton was dealt, the return was awful because O'Connell never should have been GM and was horribly out of his league.

Signing Chara and Savard had nothing to do with Thornton, it had to do with a half empty building, declining interest in the team and beer sales struggling.

Joe Thornton was traded out of Boston the first year of the cap in 2005-06, and who knows if there was any grand design behind it for real or if it was just an own goal that led to better things… but it did cement the idea that no one’s safe in Boston and if you want to be a Bruin you have to play ball…

Lots of guys have been moved out of Boston for various contract related reasons. Walking away from Khristich in arbitration, trading Jason Allison. Phil Kessel’s offer sheet threat.

Seems like you guys have the tradition that at a certain point if you push too hard you get shipped out.

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
This comes with a caveat. A good businessman knows how to be fair, typically playing the long game... small wins on each transaction add up, and without any animosity, it helps for future deals.

If Im a GM picking in the top 10, Ill be avoiding whichever player has Gross as his agent.. this could be very costly for players to consider him..

Yes there are limits. Equally if an agent has a habit of encouraging their clients into decisions and deals that end up hurting their careers long term, that's a problem. But I think an agent's rep and conduct would have to be pretty extreme before a GM would start turning down players simply because of who represents them.

End of the day, Sway is a grown man, and how this resolves is up to him. The agent can conduct the process, use their tactics, but the negotiating terms and final decision are ultimately up to the player. Clearly Sway has something in mind and so far the Bruins haven't met him at a spot that's agreeable to him. Sooner or later something will give, from one side or both. Gross may create a few more waves in the meantime, but I don't think it will change the final outcome.

Reactions: themilosh

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Yes there are limits. Equally if an agent has a habit of encouraging their clients into decisions and deals that end up hurting their careers long term, that's a problem. But I think an agent's rep and conduct would have to be pretty extreme before a GM would start turning down players simply because of who represents them.

End of the day, Sway is a grown man, and how this resolves is up to him. The agent can conduct the process, use their tactics, but the negotiating terms and final decision are ultimately up to the player. Clearly Sway has something in mind and so far the Bruins haven't met him at a spot that's agreeable to him. Sooner or later something will give, from one side or both. Gross may create a few more waves in the meantime, but I don't think it will change the final outcome.
The big danger right now is an offer sheet that a team might offer Swayman that can cripple the Bruins' long-term plans.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
This comes with a caveat. A good businessman knows how to be fair, typically playing the long game... small wins on each transaction add up, and without any animosity, it helps for future deals.

If Im a GM picking in the top 10, Ill be avoiding whichever player has Gross as his agent.. this could be very costly for players to consider him..
Goes both ways. If I'm an RFA and a GM uses a clearly ridiculous player comparison against me in arbitration, a comparison that eveyrone knows s BS, just to save 1m, while blowing $$ on buyouts of terrible contracts he signed himself, then I'm going to get the heck out of dodge the 2nd I can, and use everything within the CBA to expediate that.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
I’m curious as well but I’d be completely fine with never finding out haha
Right.

Having grown up watching the revolving door of coaches and goalies in the 90s, I’ve seen what that can look like.

But you wonder if there’s something to this “Goalie Bob can get the best out of flotsam and jetsam”.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Right.

Having grown up watching the revolving door of coaches and goalies in the 90s, I’ve seen what that can look like.

But you wonder if there’s something to this “Goalie Bob can get the best out of flotsam and jetsam”.

Im sure korpisalo would be better here than ottawa just based off the surrounding players.

With that said, in the off chance we are looking at korpisalo/bussi… that’s probably a bottom 5 goalie tandem in the league

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Listening to NHL network radio this morning, and they mentioned that Sweeney likely rehearsed his comments regarding Bissonette in advance.

I find it really interesting that he threw out December 1st as well.

Say what you will about Sweeney, but he’s a very talented spin doctor. Nothing he says is by accident. He’s no dummy.

There’s definitely a game of chicken being played, and it will be interesting to see how this plays out.

This organization will never overcome the cheap label in our lifetimes, but they are a cap team ever since the cap went into effect.

How they allocate their cap space precedence they set with guys that are restricted are another matter entirely.

Reactions: goldenblack

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Calgary, Utah and San Jose. Utah should be all in. If they ever found a taker for Weber they could blow the doors off, as of now could go 9 mil per, maybe more if they move a goalie.
Say they match any offer to 9mil. That would put the compensation at two firsts, a second and a third.

All that plus 9mil in cap space vs Swayman, what would you do if you were Sweeney?

Think I might take the Utah picks (should be good ones) and use the dough on the roster.

Reactions: PlayMakers

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
Say they match any offer to 9mil. That would put the compensation at two firsts, a second and a third.

All that plus 9mil in cap space vs Swayman, what would you do if you were Sweeney?

Think I might take the Utah picks (should be good ones) and use the dough on the roster.
I would try to work out a different deal with them if they didn’t want him. 1, goalie and guenther is what I would want not to match. I would def match it and keep him if it was up to me

Reactions: Over the volcano

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Right.

Bob has been here since 2003. Since then we've changed GMs multiple times, but have gotten - Calder Raycroft, Rask, Timmy, Ullmark and now Sway. They've also had a bunch of backups come in and play rock solid and then look not as good elsewhere.

Now, either the Bruins are top notch at identifying these guys, which may very well be true, but he's been the one common denominator since. Makes you wonder for sure

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
The big danger right now is an offer sheet that a team might offer Swayman that can cripple the Bruins' long-term plans.

It's possible, but I think very unlikely. Very few teams that would have both the cap space and the interest. Plus such a move would be unprecedented - in the modern era goalies don't get offer sheets. And even if one did come along it would have to be attached to serious money to put the Bruins in any cap difficulty. They could likely just choose to match or take the compensation as they saw fit. Term shouldn't be a problem because if the Bruins don't want to lock Sway up long term anyway then they're doing this wrong.

Can't rule it out but I'm not worried about it.

Reactions: Orr Fourever

Shroud of Orrin

Come on, Bob
Apr 29, 2020
Haligonia
Dylan Guenther would make a very decent bet as a natural goal scorer. He has a bomb. Possible Pasta replacement in terms of goal scoring efficiency. Ingram stabilizes the issue until a solution appears A first would be automatic.

Ingram + Guenther (RW) + '25 1st.

Its more than we got for Seguin or Hamilton!

Id assume though crazy Bill Armstrong would go the offer sheet route and keep Guenther who is pretty key to their future as well.

Reactions: HustleB

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
Bob has been here since 2003. Since then we've changed GMs multiple times, but have gotten - Calder Raycroft, Rask, Timmy, Ullmark and now Sway. They've also had a bunch of backups come in and play rock solid and then look not as good elsewhere.

Now, either the Bruins are top notch at identifying these guys, which may very well be true, but he's been the one common denominator since. Makes you wonder for sure
Halak on other teams, MTL .919 2.62, STL .916 2.23, NYI .913 2.66------BOS .918 2.40
Ullmark on BUF .912 2.78 ---------- BOS .924 2.28

Korpisalo on other teams .901 3.06

Halak and Ullmark were good before, he seems to have his work cut out for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad