Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman III- still nothing

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
With certain exceptions for personal favorites, I root for the name on the front, not the back. That might be what Bonvie is trying to get at but I'm not sure.

As Jerry Seinfeld said, ultimately we all root for laundry. But I'm never going to root for management over the guys who wear the jerseys. Not once. If a player wants to give a "hometown" discount that's fine. We all have our own value system and so long as yours doesn't hurt anyone god bless. The flip side is that if a player wants to absolutely max out what he makes good for him. Cash dem checks and then go play as hard as you can.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Yep, can't deny the enjoyment of watching that season.

As a fan of the team, doesn't it make more sense to root for management instead of the player?

The more Swayman gets, the worse off the Bruins are cap-wise.
In some obscure way, maybe. But that would also require ownership and management be obsessed with winning a Cup and doesn’t make other bad decisions that negatively effect the team cap-wise.

To the first point, JJ has steadfastly refused to address the shitty ice (we did get a second hand ice plant a few months back from Arizona in the tag sale — wooop wooop). To me that means he “kinda” wants a championship. Would be awesome but he can live with good profits as well.

To the second point, I think the best comp out there is Korpisalo. He’s a goalie and the Bruins just brought him into the fold for a three year term. Apparently the Bruins think in some universe he is “worth” $3M a year for those three years. I’ve just done some analysis based on that comp and Swayman comes in at $17.5M per year. Talk about setting the bar for goalies.

• Haha
Reactions: EverettMike

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Just like every negociation, it will get done. And the lower the AAV, the better.

Summer is ending, hockey is coming soon, and Bruins should have again a very good season.

Swayman will be a big part of that and deserve everything he’ll get for his next contract. With the great top-6 D he has in front of him and Bruins defensive system, he’ll likely be in contention for the Vezina for quite some time.

Enjoy Bruins fans!

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
As Jerry Seinfeld said, ultimately we all root for laundry. But I'm never going to root for management over the guys who wear the jerseys. Not once. If a player wants to give a "hometown" discount that's fine. We all have our own value system and so long as yours doesn't hurt anyone god bless. The flip side is that if a player wants to absolutely max out what he makes good for him. Cash dem checks and then go play as hard as you can.
I have always been on the players side, and hope they can get as much as possible, but I also want to see a winning team and I prefer the money be balanced out so as to have a balanced team. Sway should go after as much as he can get, but management needs to keep enough cap to sign players that are needed and also deserving. OH! and while I am at please stop with the bullshit well the cap is going up, do spend money you haven't received yet, and some of that cap needs to go to a FA scoring wing as a well as players who are up for contracts in the next year or two.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I have always been on the players side, and hope they can get as much as possible, but I also want to see a winning team and I prefer the money be balanced out so as to have a balanced team. Sway should go after as much as he can get, but management needs to keep enough cap to sign players that are needed and also deserving. OH! and while I am at please stop with the bullshit well the cap is going up, do spend money you haven't received yet, and some of that cap needs to go to a FA scoring wing as a well as players who are up for contracts in the next year or two.
The cap going up isn’t bullshit. It matters. Especially when it didn’t for like 4 years.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
It is bullshit, every time a player is mentioned, "oh the cap is going up" how players are you going to cover with this new found money..........
IMG_1151.gif

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
In the most broad and general sense I'd say I'm pro-labor, so a guy wanting to get maximum market value for his services is his right and all. But as a fan of a team don't expect me to throw flowers at a guy who's holding you up and tying up your salary cap the way we gushed over Bergeron and Marchand when they took team-friendly long term deals.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
In the most broad and general sense I'd say I'm pro-labor, so a guy wanting to get maximum market value for his services is his right and all. But as a fan of a team don't expect me to throw flowers at a guy who's holding you up and tying up your salary cap the way we gushed over Bergeron and Marchand when they took team-friendly long term deals.
Exactly right. Players are business people too

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Everyone values money but many people don't realize the value of gratitude.

Which again is no judgment towards Swayman or any player who's trying to get his dough, but there are guys who could make an extra 10-15% in salary hopping from team to team like a mercenary every time their contract expires - but the guy who spent his whole career with one or two clubs and ingratiated himself with the community is always going to have people buying his drinks at a bar and will get offered jobs in the local media, etc.

But to each their own, what they value most for themselves, their family, etc. is their call.

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
Business people understand fair value and compromise, especially when they have limited leverage. Doesn't seem like Swayman does. Im already tired of this negotiation and frankly dont want to commit for 8 years on a goalie. Short term and start looking for replacement now.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
In some obscure way, maybe. But that would also require ownership and management be obsessed with winning a Cup and doesn’t make other bad decisions that negatively effect the team cap-wise.

To the first point, JJ has steadfastly refused to address the shitty ice (we did get a second hand ice plant a few months back from Arizona in the tag sale — wooop wooop). To me that means he “kinda” wants a championship. Would be awesome but he can live with good profits as well.

To the second point, I think the best comp out there is Korpisalo. He’s a goalie and the Bruins just brought him into the fold for a three year term. Apparently the Bruins think in some universe he is “worth” $3M a year for those three years. I’ve just done some analysis based on that comp and Swayman comes in at $17.5M per year. Talk about setting the bar for goalies.

This tired old refrain that management and ownership are not trying hard enough to win a Cup is just juvenile at this point.

Pretty sure better ice is not a prerequisite to winning a Cup.

Bringing in Korpisalo saves the Bruins $2 mil in Cap space this season. They really needed to get something for Ullmark and that's not easy when he has team restrictions.

Guelph Bruin

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2015
Been at the beach for 3 days ... I see Swayman hasn't signed yet ....some sort of drama with him not showing up to an event? ....the good news is I spent the majority of time at the beach scouting for replacement goalies ... by replacement goalies I really mean beer and bikinis ...hope this is over soon, hate starting off the year with drama instead of positive new hope vibes

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
This tired old refrain that management and ownership are not trying hard enough to win a Cup is just juvenile at this point.

Pretty sure better ice is not a prerequisite to winning a Cup.

Bringing in Korpisalo saves the Bruins $2 mil in Cap space this season. They really needed to get something for Ullmark and that's not easy when he has team restrictions.

One- Better ice may not be a prerequisite to winning a Cup, but why would you want your “home team” advantage to be spending 40+ games playing on a clearly sub par ice surface? Seriously, I’d like you to answer that question. If your answer is anything but not wanting to spend the money I will be fascinated.

Two — You are telling me that the benefit of Korpisalo is that he costs two million dollars less than Ullmark - a Vezina winner???? And why did they “really need” to get something for Ullmark?

Forgive me for having so many questions. I know it’s probably just my juvenile thinking. Regardless your post doesn’t make much sense to my admittedly feeble mind.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
One- Better ice may not be a prerequisite to winning a Cup, but why would you want your “home team” advantage to be spending 40+ games playing on a clearly sub par ice surface? Seriously, I’d like you to answer that question. If your answer is anything but not wanting to spend the money I will be fascinated.

Two — You are telling me that the benefit of Korpisalo is that he costs two million dollars less than Ullmark - a Vezina winner???? And why did they “really need” to get something for Ullmark?

Forgive me for having so many questions. I know it’s probably just my juvenile thinking. Regardless your post doesn’t make much sense to my admittedly feeble mind.

Really don't know why they have sub-par ice. I know they have tried to fix it but it didn't seem to work. Do you know for a fact it is because the owner doesn't want to pay? I don't. Know what it would cost? I don't. Clearly you're point is that the owner is cheap. Same old tired refrain, again.

Like I said, not easy to make a deal for Ullmark when he can restrict the teams he can go to. Yes, they needed the cap space (what thread are we in). Ullmark will be a free agent next season. Can't re-sign him and still keep Swayman. Management wants to move forward with the younger guy. So they got what they could for Ullmark.

Called the argument you were dredging up juvenile. Not your thinking.

If you think my argument doesn't make much sense, no problem. I can live with that.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

BUFFALO — What of Jeremy Swayman?

“Appreciate you asking,” a smiling Don Sweeney said early Saturday afternoon, prior to Day 2 of the annual Prospects Challenge.

But beyond such heartfelt thanks, the Bruins general manager remained unwilling to offer an update on contract negotiations with the club’s standout netminder.
Swayman, a restricted free agent, remains without a new deal is not expected to suit up for the start of training camp on Wednesday in Brighton.

“Kick it down the road,” said Sweeney, button-lipped on the subject of all things Swayman. “We’ll talk next week.”

Swayman has not made public what he is looking for in a new deal, after last season earning $3.475 million, a figure that was the product of salary arbitration. The Bruins also have remained mum about what they have offered to Swayman, 25, who owns a career mark of 79-33-15 with a 2.34 goals-against average and .919 save percentage. He is among the NHL’s top young goalies.

Per the NHL’s collective bargaining agreement, if the sides are unable to come to an agreement prior to Dec. 1, Swayman will be ineligible to play for the remainder of the season and the playoffs.

Reactions: Raleighfern

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
And the part after And? is why it’s pointless to even talk about it.
I make my own seasons and Fall starts September 16

September is half summer (1-15) and Fall (16-30)

Fall is when I start getting big time into the Bruins.

The quality of my posting will be crisper like an autumn morning and those terrible hot takes will fall like leaves to the lawn.

It’s tough to really get into hockey after FA and this place suffers without legit games to talk about and turns into a hot mess of shitty opinions including mine

But you were a beacon of great takes and common sense

I know a lot of people appreciate and won’t say it but thank you

Monday the 16th I will be back with my B game - 80% good posts

Let’s Go Bruins

Oh and I got to pay the Bruins for my seats Monday so that really knocks me into hockey season ~haha

Reactions: LiseL and Alicat
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad