Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman III- still nothing

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Can't see the Bruins caving to Sway, just like debrusk with the big demands from a player who has accomplished very little

There's a bit of a difference here accomplishment wise. Over the last 3 seasons....

DeBrusk ranked 129th in points among all forwards & 78th in goals among all forwards
Swayman ranked 6th in SV% & 6th in GAA

Lets also not forget that Swayman carried the Bruins in the playoffs. The Bruins offense had the 5th lowest GF/GP in the playoffs, meanwhile Swayman has the highest goals saved above expected. If Swayman doesn't go off on Toronto for a .950 SV% while allowing just 9 goals in 6 games, the Leafs finally get the monkey off their back of not being able to beat the Bruins in the playoffs.

Reactions: Horton Hears A Woo

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
....Yup.

This is so f***ing shitty and you know exactly why it is because you know what happened in those series. But who cares right? It serves your weird Don Sweeney agenda.
Whoa (or is it Woah)

Don’t call me weird

• Haha
Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
Weird considering how against you were for signing Ullmark in the first place.
You would have thought a goalie like that would have gotten a way better return. Oh wait, he was cut from the Bruins mold of great regular season, choking play-offs, yanked in two series from being the guy and losing his only start in another.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Weird considering how against you were for signing Ullmark in the first place.
Kinda funny lots of people who complained about the Ullmark signing when it happened also complained about his return years later lol

Doubt many of those people gave Sweeney props for that signing in those 3 years too

Last edited:

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
Yeah, didn't understand investing in a goalie at that time, especially one who had never played a meaningful game in the NHL.

But that has what to do with what exactly?
and when he finally did play meaningful games he was awful. 3-6, .887 and 3.59gaa. Makes Korpisalo's numbers look like Dryden.

Reactions: BBruins

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Can't see the Bruins caving to Sway, just like debrusk with the big demands from a player who has accomplished very little
Not being hoest when you say he has not accomplished anything, he is a very good goaltender, but needs to show that he can carry the load, and he has not proven that yet.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Kinda funny lots of people who complained about the Ullmark signing when it happened also complained about his return years later lol

God this is so funny.

My post from the day they announced the signing, the one you went back and liked last night as (I guess?) some sort of attempted gotcha, was me complaining about the NMC/no trade clause, WHICH BIT THEM IN THE f***ING ASS WHEN THEY WENT TO TRADE HIM.

Almost like no-trades are a scourge and Sweeney gives them away far too easily, same as Chiarelli did.

Anyway, goaltending is super important for this team and hasd driven their regular season success. Ullmark was excellent for them until the playoffs, and even one of those years he was excellent until an injury the head coach was too slow to recognize.

If the Bs want to be successful this year they need Swayman.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
God this is so funny.

My post from the day they announced the signing, the one you went back and liked last night as (I guess?) some sort of attempted gotcha, was me complaining about the NMC/no trade clause, WHICH BIT THEM IN THE f***ING ASS WHEN THEY WENT TO TRADE HIM.

Almost like no-trades are a scourge and Sweeney gives them away far too easily, same as Chiarelli did.

Anyway, goaltending is super important for this team and hasd driven their regular season success. Ullmark was excellent for them until the playoffs, and even one of those years he was excellent until an injury the head coach was too slow to recognize.

If the Bs want to be successful this year they need Swayman.
It's totally fine to admit you were wrong ya know....or just double down. Like looking back 3 years you cant possibly still think that was a bad signing right?

Not singling you out Mike, plenty of others didn't like it either

Last edited:

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Your definition of better than average is pretty average
He was unreal actually

He was 9-6-3 2.63 GAA .917 SV

Rest of team GAA 50 % higher & save % under 9

6-28-4

Math may not have been my best subject but I owned any math contest from grades 3-8 at St Mary’s in Danvers

Also sit in back of net row 2 and consider myself the #1 authority on NHL goalies

Ullmark 4/20 was a great signing

Swayman is likely a franchise goalie but seriously shut the F up ~ and stop being a dick and be the guy you used to be

nORRis8

The NHL, the stupidest League ever.
Sep 16, 2015
RedDeer, Alberta
True.
However I'd say Swayman has shown far more consistency as a puck stopper than JD did as a forward.
Looking at the last 3 years of goalie stats in the league, Swayman is not too far removed from the top five or Ullmark stats wise.

The truth of your comment is that Swayman appears like he wants to be paid as if he's "the guy", when in fact he shared net duties throughout he career.
If he wants 8-8.5... fine. Be prepared to play 60-65 games then, not a half a season.

Reactions: GordonHowe

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
It's totally fine to admit you were wrong ya know....or just double down. Like looking back 3 years you cant possibly still think that was a bad signing right?

Not singling you out Mike, plenty of others didn't like it either

I literally already copped to it in this thread, so I don't know what you want me to do. You just quoted a post where I said Ullmark was excellent for them. How am I doubling down exactly? Great signing.

For obvious reasons it's also still funny you liked a post where I only talked about the NMC/no-trade while then saying "and now some of you are upset about the return."

Why did the return suck? Cause of the no-trade clause!!

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I literally already copped to it in this thread, so I don't know what you want me to do. You just quoted a post where I said Ullmark was excellent for them. How am I doubling down exactly? Great signing.

For obvious reasons it's also still funny you liked a post where I only talked about the NMC/no-trade while then saying "and now some of you are upset about the return."

Why did the return suck? Cause of the no-trade clause!!
I mean I maybe liked that post, but you could have just about chose anyone of yours in that thread instead and gotten the point that you were overreacting.

Regardless my point is it's funny to see the same people complain when a signing happens, give the GM no props for it when they're wrong and then complain about getting assets for a signing they got for free, that they hated in the first place! It's almost like it's the person at GM you have an issue with and not the individual moves or that people dont actually watch the player they complain about. Nothing easier than being an armchair GM

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
True.
However I'd say Swayman has shown far more consistency as a puck stopper than JD did as a forward.
Looking at the last 3 years of goalie stats in the league, Swayman is not too far removed from the top five or Ullmark stats wise.

The truth of your comment is that Swayman appears like he wants to be paid as if he's "the guy", when in fact he shared net duties throughout he career.
If he wants 8-8.5... fine. Be prepared to play 60-65 games then, not a half a season.
Three goalies started over 60 games last year and one of them was Georgiev who had to given the backup situation.

Only five goalies started more than 55 games.

Shesterkin and Sorokin had 55 starts. Oettinger 53.

This idea that he has to start 60+ to earn his money is old school thinking - best case for the Bruins is they’re able to keep his starts at 55 or under.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Using Rask as a comparable, which honestly Swayman's situation is very close to his in terms of games played and being part of a tandem. Rask also had a 1 year deal, was an RFA, then signed the big one.
Rask 7mil salary was 10.8% of the cap when the max was 64.3. If Swayman were to have that same %cap hit at the current 88 mil cap he'd be at 9.5 mil. Interesting to think about. Wonder if everyone will start hating Swayman if that happens

Rask led the league in goals against and save percentage when he was a 22-year-old rookie.

He had also led the Bruins to the finals in 2013 before signing the big one.

That's a big difference in situation.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Rask led the league in goals against and save percentage when he was a 22-year-old rookie.

NVM I was wrong

Last edited:

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

Swayman could have led the Bruins to the final this year too.....if the offense actually showed up in the playoffs.

I believe this was debunked as I thought the same thing - Rask signed the offseason before that cup run

No @Dennis Bonvie is correct. What you're thinking of was when people said that Rask had a Vezina when he signed his big contract. It was the first year of his 8yr deal that he won his Vezina. Rasked signed his 8yr deal in July of 2013 according to puckpedia

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Swayman could have led the Bruins to the final this year too.....if the offense actually showed up in the playoffs.
So what you are saying is that you need a team in front of him, so that can only improve if you have cap space to improve that offense.

Reactions: BBruins

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO

No @Dennis Bonvie is correct. What you're thinking of was when people said that Rask had a Vezina when he signed his big contract. It was the first year of his 8yr deal that he won his Vezina. Rasked signed his 8yr deal in July of 2013 according to puckpedia
Ah thank you dude, maybe I need to lay off the weed, my memory sucks some times lol

• Haha
Reactions: NeelyDan and ON3M4N

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Cup in 2011. Finals in 2013. Finals in 2019.
Bounced in other seasons by Bolts, Panthers, Canes,
Not too shabby.
Certainly better than all the Canadian teams and most of the American teams.

Having a great goalie ain't cheating
Ooooh, cup losers makes it all better for you, does it? LOFL

This is what’s wrong with Bruins fans. They’ve been gaslit by constant praises from management about how great just making the playoffs is versus being cup driven.

One. Cup. In. 52. Years.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Ooooh, cup losers makes it all better for you, does it? LOFL

This is what’s wrong with Bruins fans. They’ve been gaslit by constant praises from management about how great just making the playoffs is versus being cup driven.

One. Cup. In. 52. Years.
Dude I don't think you get it. Some of us aren't Boston sports fans and don't get to enjoy the success of the Pats/Celtics/Sox.

For me the Bruins are by far the most successful team I cheer for. There's room for all types of opinions on what constitutes success here.

I would JUMP FOR JOY if the f***ing Minnesota Vikings made the Super Bowl ONCE let alone lost in it twice.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I believe this was debunked as I thought the same thing - Rask signed the offseason before that cup run

Not the greatest source, but Wkipedia states:

"On 28 June 2012, Rask re-signed with the Bruins to a one-year, $3.5 million contract. Prior to the declaration of the 2012–13 lockout, Rask was named as the starting goaltender for the Bruins, replacing Tim Thomas, who would eventually be traded to the New York Islanders on 7 February 2013.[24] During the lockout, which ended on 6 January 2013, Rask played for HC Plzeň, which won the Czech Extraliga that year. After the NHL resumed play, Rask led the Bruins to their second Stanley Cup finals in three seasons in the 2013 playoffs. In the third round of the playoffs against the top seeded Pittsburgh Penguins, Rask faced 136 shots in four games played, allowing two goals while making 134 saves for a 0.50 GAA and a .985 save percentage. In the Stanley Cup Finals, the Bruins were defeated in six games by the Presidents’ Trophy-winning Chicago Blackhawks, as Rask registered a .932 save percentage. [25] On 10 July 2013, the Bruins re-signed Rask to an eight-year, $56 million contract."

Reactions: NDiesel

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
So what you are saying is that you need a team in front of him, so that can only improve if you have cap space to improve that offense.

No you just need your current top players to step up. Do you remember who the top 3 Bruins goal scorers were in the series vs Florida?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad