Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman II - still waiting

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
What if (hear me out):

The delay is that there are two types of deals on the table?

The first is something akin to the Saros deal. 8 by 8. Ish.

The second is a medium contract. Four years, $25M. Again, a rough estimate.

Advantages and disadvantages to both types of deal for both sides. Would you be happy with either? Neither? Preference?

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
Concerning
Considering Swayman's options it will obviously get done, but the point was on top of the arbitration it's not going as smoothly as everyone would like is all. Just for concersations sake is all.

What if (hear me out):

Advantages and disadvantages to both types of deal for both sides. Would you be happy with either? Neither? Preference?
I would think Swayman would be instructed to try to get a deal to 29 or 30 say and then another big deal. Bruins best interest would be long term here IMO. Nice post

Last edited:

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK
What if (hear me out):

I'd be happy with either. Each side will see an advantage and disadvantage to each, as you said.

08SeaBass08

Maybe next year.
Jul 8, 2010
Funkytown, Boogie Wonderland
But Bruins president and Hockey Hall of Famer Cam Neely isn’t fretting over the contractual impasse.

“Something will get done. There’s no question,” Neely said Thursday during an appearance on WZLX’s “The Rich Shertenlieb Show”. “I mean, not every negotiation is as smooth as you’d like it. I know our fan base would certainly love to have something done by now. But I’m fully confident that both sides will come to an agreement before too long her
That means it’s been a train wreck, does it? That there’s a big rift? Swayman’s hateful? It’s all going badly?

I think you just provided empirical evidence to support my point, but ok.

Reactions: Donnie Shulzhoffer

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
That means it’s been a train wreck, does it? That there’s a big rift? Swayman’s hateful? It’s all going badly?

I think you just provided empirical evidence to support my point, but ok.
No, not at all. "Not going as smoothy" to me is just a strange phrase to use is all. Doesn't mean it won't get done or even that there are major issues, just more honesty than you usually hear IMO

Reactions: Dr Quincy

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Yes or no question: Do you think the front office's plan since last summer's arbitration hearing and going into the year was "Let's wait until September 2024 to sign Swayman"?

Simple yes or no.
I think that’s kind of a silly question. “Let’s wait…” implies they’re purposefully not negotiating in good faith.

I think the plan was to sign him by the beginning of camp. Like the other top level RFAs they’ve had before him.

• Haha

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I think that’s kind of a silly question. “Let’s wait…” implies they’re purposefully not negotiating in good faith.

I think the plan was to sign him by the beginning of camp. Like the other top level RFAs they’ve had before him.
No, it implies that they have no preference of whether they get a deal done in January, or June or August or October 1. Which I think is ridiculous and not true. Yet your silly answer implies that the front office is sitting around at the Chatham Bars Inn drinking cape codders ignoring the agents replies because "Eh doesn't matter if we get a deal done now as long as it's by the beginning of camp."

What's likely, is that they hoped to have this done by now, and there's some disappointment (from both parties) that it's not. It doesn't mean it won't get done but yeah, it is "a thing" that they have had a year to figure this out and haven't. SJ just extended Askarov a year early. It's possible to do.

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
No, it implies that they have no preference of whether they get a deal done in January, or June or August or October 1. Which I think is ridiculous and not true. Yet your silly answer implies that the front office is sitting around at the Chatham Bars Inn drinking cape codders ignoring the agents replies because "Eh doesn't matter if we get a deal done now as long as it's by the beginning of camp."

What's likely, is that they hoped to have this done by now, and there's some disappointment (from both parties) that it's not. It doesn't mean it won't get done but yeah, it is "a thing" that they have had a year to figure this out and haven't. SJ just extended Askarov a year early. It's possible to do.
Why is everyone so sensitive when people bring these kinds of things up? You bring up the team president point blank saying it’s not going as smoothly as he would like.. he also wryly brought up “Jeremy’s only played 44 games in a regular season, which is still significant….buts it’s not 60 or 65 games”. Again Neely says something will get done, not sure anyone is disagreeing but the finer points of the negotiations are definitely talking points for a message board one would think.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018

I think it’s just a negotiation that doesn’t need to get done in August. And one that will get done in September. I think all parties involved are negotiating in good faith. Anyone saying there’s animosity or hurt feelings or they’re far apart is silly - no one knows anything.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I think it’s just a negotiation that doesn’t need to get done in August. And one that will get done in September. I think all parties involved are negotiating in good faith. Anyone saying there’s animosity or hurt feelings or they’re far apart is silly - no one knows anything.

So if no one knows anything isn’t it simultaneously silly to assume there are hurt feelings while also being silly to assume there aren’t hurt feelings?

We do know there has been animosity and hurt feelings in the past between this player and management so really nothing is out of the realm of possibility

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I'll just say what I think happened, downvote my theory if you will

I think Sweeney and Swayman's agent had a framework worked out before the draft saying they'd hammer out details after the free agency period, giving Don assurance to trade Ullmark. Then after free agency when they came to circle back on it, Swayman and his agent changed the terms because with Ullmark gone they have all the leverage to squeeze another million in AAV or another year in duration out of the Bruins.

Reactions: GahdenRinkRat

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
You spelled Tim Thomas wrong.

Idk he has asked for long term contracts. Tim Thomas’ longest was 4 years. Didn’t seem long enough to include him.

When I think of long term goalie contracts that panned out I think of 6+ year contracts

Henrik Lundqvist (two long term deals)
Tuukka Rask
Pekke rinne
Jonathan Quick
Marc andre Fluery
Sergei bobrovski

Reactions: KurtDangle

Mamrd

Nov 7, 2022
In mah yahd
Idk he has asked for long term contracts. Tim Thomas’ longest was 4 years. Didn’t seem long enough to include him.

When I think of long term goalie contracts that panned out I think of 6+ year contracts

Henrik Lundqvist (two long term deals)
Tuukka Rask
Pekke rinne
Jonathan Quick
Marc andre Fluery
Sergei bobrovski
OK, so we're both wrong.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
OK, so we're both wrong.

I’m assuming you’re not a Tuukka fan or something?

I personally like Tuukka. I would have no reservations about giving Swayman a long term deal. I guess there’s a view long terms deals don’t work out. However there’s been plenty of recent long term goalie deals that have.

Last edited:

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022

I think Sweeney and Swayman's agent had a framework worked out before the draft saying they'd hammer out details after the free agency period, giving Don assurance to trade Ullmark. Then after free agency when they came to circle back on it, Swayman and his agent changed the terms because with Ullmark gone they have all the leverage to squeeze another million in AAV or another year in duration out of the Bruins.
Could be. I personally think what makes the most sense for Swayman is a 4 year deal at 6-6.5mil per with a chance to cash in at 29. Risky but he’s a confident guy. I think the Bruins would like the 8 year deal at 7 or 7.5 most. Swayman imo would be asking for 9 min at that duration IMO. seems complicated and Neelys comments seem to verify the complexity.

ae530

Mar 22, 2024
Swayman is a confident guy and after last season he deserves a decent contract

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018

I hate to give the impression of being a conspirator, but that thought to be fully honest has crossed my mind.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I hate to give the impression of being a conspirator, but that thought to be fully honest has crossed my mind.
I just think that if you are right there at the finish line, you finish it. You only say "Let's come back to this later" if there are some disagreements. Too risky for either side to do some pinky promise deal that isn't binding. If this is what happened, then the front office (and Swayman as well) are really dumb.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I just think that if you are right there at the finish line, you finish it. You only say "Let's come back to this later" if there are some disagreements. Too risky for either side to do some pinky promise deal that isn't binding. If this is what happened, then the front office (and Swayman as well) are really dumb.
I know that some will argue that a lot of deals do not get done until training camp opens on or about, but tell me if I am wrong, does this deal seem different than others in that you traded away a Vezina winner in Ullmark and who was only 5 mil for the year, now don't get me wrong Swayman being 5 years younger should be your guy, but I, just feel uneasy the way this has played. I will be honest with you, I want Swayman, but if he is wanting 9 mil a year trade his ass, I know that will not be a popular comment around here.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I know that some will argue that a lot of deals do not get done until training camp opens on or about, but tell me if I am wrong, does this deal seem different than others in that you traded away a Vezina winner in Ullmark and who was only 5 mil for the year, now don't get me wrong Swayman being 5 years younger should be your guy, but I, just feel uneasy the way this has played. I will be honest with you, I want Swayman, but if he is wanting 9 mil a year trade his ass, I know that will not be a popular comment around here.
Let's say your Swayman, you have deal you like pretty much on the table, but you say "Let's sign this in Sept. wink wink."

Then he goes home to Alaska and has a grizzly bear attack him and he ends up with one leg.

He has no contract, so other than any personal insurance he has, he's spit out of luck.

Or if your the B's and you don't sign him, You deal Ullmark. Then Swayman starts negotiating hard or signs an offer sheet somewhere. There's just too much risk for either side to leave a perfectly agreeable contract on the table for 2 months. Especially since I can't think of a single reason what positive you'd get out of it, never minding the possible negatives.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
SJ just extended Askarov a year early. It's possible to do.
Sure it is. Not denying that.

But it depends on the team and cap situation.

And when you think Swayman could have signed an extension also depends on what you think he would have signed for.

I believe that date is March 1 because of the tagging rule. I don't think he would have signed for what the Bruins had in tag space.

On March 1 they would have got a 10 percent bump by the league in tag space and then it would have been doable.

Not every situation is the same.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

Swayman (and his agent) know the Bruins cap situation. If he wants $9 mil and they give it to him, they are over the cap. Someone else will have to go. Or they need to make a bad trade to get under. Also straps the team to make any other deals to improve the team. Don't think that would play well in the locker room or the front office. Don't think Swayman would ever go for that.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Swayman (and his agent) know the Bruins cap situation. If he wants $9 mil and they give it to him, they are over the cap. Someone else will have to go. Or they need to make a bad trade to get under. Also straps the team to make any other deals to improve the team. Don't think that would play well in the locker room or the front office. Don't think Swayman would ever go for that.
They could play with a 22 man roster and have up to 600k in cap space, depending on who they send down to the AHL. And they could bank even more by sending 2 waiver exempt players to the AHL on off days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad