Value of: Jenner to a contender at 2024 TDL

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Seems more than a little silly as the Jackets have lots of really good assets already to work with.
I'm not sure if they have too many of them. They might need assets not only to acquire better players but also to get rid of bad contracts (Merzlikins, Gudbranson).

I'd think that would kind of tank his trade value, thus defeating the purpose of this exercise, so this condition would also have to include nobody else actually knowing about it.
So what would his value be then if everybody knew about it?

In short - while the preconditions are probably accurate, I also suspsect they're so wildly improbable as to be borderline absurd to contemplate.
Just because it's improbable doesn't mean it's absurd to have these kind of exercises, especially at this time of the year. My goal here is just to learn what people think his value would be and which teams could be interested in this hypothetical scenario.

Why is this even being brought up? Boone is happy.
Okay so you know already he would be totally content with staying in Columbus regardless of the circumstances. Thanks.

Reactions: Toe Pick

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I'm not sure if they have too many of them. They might need assets not only to acquire better players but also to get rid of bad contracts (Merzlikins, Gudbranson).
Even if the front office had an appetite for that sort of approach (so far they haven't), there's a lot of other folks who are far more likely to be moved before Jenner.
So what would his value be then if everybody knew about it?
Given the term remaining on his contrract? Borderline nonexistent. Jenner is seen as useful partly because he keeps on keeping on despite such issues; there is no practical "trade him before injuries catch up with him" scenario here. If he was towards the end of his contract and we were looking at having to potentially extend him, a rental-type scenario would be a viable discussion, but even then we wouldn't be getting great value back (just better than average because the lower conract means more potential suitors). The value of his contract is because folks expect (not unreasonably) that he'll keep playing through it and thus overperforming its value; building in an assumption that he's not going to be able tanks that value considerably as you can't overperform when on LTIR.
Just because it's improbable doesn't mean it's absurd to have these kind of exercises, especially at this time of the year. My goal here is just to learn what people think his value would be and which teams could be interested in this hypothetical scenario.
As a general rule, hypotheticals generally have to be at least marginally plausible to be useful and/or interesting to discuss.

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Sponsor
Jul 13, 2022
Finland
It's a little funny how this is mostly just CBJ fans fighting amongst themselves (including the OP if folks don't know).

It's a little disappointing the list of potential suitors so far is just a couple of teams and we're on page 2...

Reactions: Fro

OG Eberle

Aug 25, 2011
At least this is going marginally better than the dude who thought Jenner was a "negative asset" who CBJ had to retain on to give him value

Reactions: Xoggz22

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
As an illustrative alternative, go start up a thread about the value of McDavid if he hypothetically demands a trade and see how that goes.
I'm pretty sure there would be some who didn't find it completely useless and uninteresting to discuss. It's at least theoretically possible, and even if it wasn't, it wouldn't necessarily stop people talking about it.

How many hypothetical question-based threads have you seen on HF such as "If Gretzky played in the same era as Crosby, who would be a better player?". I mean, we don't seem to have any way of knowing the ultimate answer to those type of questions yet they keep appearing year after year. I personally don't see the appeal to engage in those discussions but at the same I don't need to go tell people you're wasting your time.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I'm pretty sure there would be some who didn't find it completely useless and uninteresting to discuss. It's at least theoretically possible, and even if it wasn't, it wouldn't necessarily stop people talking about it.
I used to help moderate this subforum. Your perspective on how it would go is at best astonishingly naive.

How many hypothetical question-based threads have you seen on HF such as "If Gretzky played in the same era as Crosby, who would be a better player?".
Folks react differently when you're talking about taking away players that are a big part of their team.

Reactions: crowi

StewieP19

Dec 13, 2022
Columbus will not be as bad than last year.
They don't have a bad team but a middle team.
For me they will Battle for a playoff spots.
They need leadership of Jenner so they need to keep him

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
The amount of TOI he gets, you would think he'd have hit the 50pt mark once in his career. He's come close a couple times.

I get why most CBJ fans have metaphorically kidnapped the guy and will never let him leave:
the contract, the C and production of goals as well

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
I hate to be that guy but I don't think Jenner adds a whole lot. I don't know if he was injured this year or what but he looked as slow as ROR out there. I think the BJs would be very smart to exact a high price from some hopeful team this TDL, I just hope it's not mine.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
The amount of TOI he gets, you would think he'd have hit the 50pt mark once in his career. He's come close a couple times.

I get why most CBJ fans have metaphorically kidnapped the guy and will never let him leave:
the contract, the C and production of goals as well
Thats where injuries come in. He obviously would have hit 50 the last couple years if he wasnt shut down

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
It's a little funny how this is mostly just CBJ fans fighting amongst themselves (including the OP if folks don't know).

It's a little disappointing the list of potential suitors so far is just a couple of teams and we're on page 2...
Part of that might be related to the sharp negativity that CBJ fans have met most previous "We want Jenner" discussions with. Or the fact that he is 30, and obviously on HF, that means he has one foot in the grave and nobody will want him, ha ha.

Reactions: Viqsi

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Part of that might be related to the sharp negativity that CBJ fans have met most previous "We want Jenner" discussions with. Or the fact that he is 30, and obviously on HF, that means he has one foot in the grave and nobody will want him, ha ha.
The recent fail proposal thread doesn't help either.

Reactions: ManofSteel55

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
As an illustrative alternative, go start up a thread about the value of McDavid if he hypothetically demands a trade and see how that goes.
mcdavid would get closed before page 2
Without getting in detailed survival analysis….

the probability of players who sign a UFA contract retaining their cap hit in value is low for those 30+. Without factoring in injury issues.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad