Jeff Skinner turns down offer with Toronto

CincoHolio

Jan 8, 2013
Toronto
Honestly, why is this even a thread? Who cares about Jeff Skinner? Are people just butthurt because it was the Oilers he chose? Did you really want to pay Jeff f***ing Skinner 3M? Guy would have gotten ripped here the way fans are on edge now.
With the same opportunity I would bet Robertson can do the same or better at 1/3 the cap hit.

Skinner is not the player we need.
Not even a Robertson fan but yes, this ^^

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
I agree - Henrique would have been an excellent solution at 3C. Maybe he didn't like the core, or maybe he was one of the guys Friedman was talking about who wouldn't consider us because of the toxic fanbase.
Blaming the fans for player behaviour is the biggest cop out I've ever seen. Frankly it's childish.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Skinner stinks worse than than whatever that dead thing under the stairs is.

It's been rotting in the heat for days. I can't get under there to see what it is. I'd send my kid in to dig it out.

But I haven't seen him in like a week.

He disappears for long stretches of time. Just like Skinner. One day you see him next day he's gone.

Only shows up when he feels like it.

i actually wish Skinner had signed here. He easily would've been my new favourite target. I don't blame him for chosing Edmonton over Toronto simply because of the playoffs.

But I also wouldn't be surprised if he was one of the cowards too afraid of the media and fans.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Honestly, why is this even a thread? Who cares about Jeff Skinner? Are people just butthurt because it was the Oilers he chose? Did you really want to pay Jeff f***ing Skinner 3M? Guy would have gotten ripped here the way fans are on edge now.

Not even a Robertson fan but yes, this ^^
Seemed like a backhanded trolling attempt that backfired since no one cares or really wanted him to come here.

Reactions: CincoHolio

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
We have the wrong GM in place if he's offering Skinner a job.

We need depth and a pure goal scorer. Nothing wrong with that if you can get him for cheap

We scored less than 2 goals 12/13 playoff games.

Skinner cam score. He doesn't have to do anything else. We have plenty of sp called responsible players in Jarnkrok and Kampf.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
One of the unsung benefits of actually winning in the playoffs: Players who really want to win are more likely to sign with you.

Which begs the question, why does any player that has options choose Toronto? (It's a rhetorical question, people. We all know there's lots of reasons to come here other than the chance to win it all).

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Blaming the fans for player behaviour is the biggest cop out I've ever seen. Frankly it's childish.

I think you're extremely confused here.

Friedman reported that there were several UFAs who declined to consider signing here because of the fan toxicity. Given that we went after Henrique, I'm wondering if he's one of those UFAs.

There's no blame, just the facts, ma'am.

57 Years No Cup

Nov 12, 2007

Friedman reported that there were several UFAs who declined to consider signing here because of the fan toxicity. Given that we went after Henrique, I'm wondering if he's one of those UFAs.

I stopped reading after "Freidman reported".

tuckerintensity

armed with will and determination
Jul 16, 2022

It's an interesting report and I don't think it's anywhere close to a childish reason. I mean, I want everyone to want to play here, but if you don't give a damn about the Leafs one way or the other, the fan base/media coverage could easily be a reason to stay away. I don't think we're the only market like that either, Montreal likely the same type of thing. Go play in a lot of places that have great teams and fly under the radar, golf as much as you want if it's a nice weather market, kind of live a pretty normal life. That doesn't happen here (and other places).

Reactions: ToneDog and Kurtz

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
It's an interesting report and I don't think it's anywhere close to a childish reason. I mean, I want everyone to want to play here, but if you don't give a damn about the Leafs one way or the other, the fan base/media coverage could easily be a reason to stay away. I don't think we're the only market like that either, Montreal likely the same type of thing. Go play in a lot of places that have great teams and fly under the radar, golf as much as you want if it's a nice weather market, kind of live a pretty normal life. That doesn't happen here (and other places).

Do they want the honour of playing for the flagship franchise of the NHL or not?

Can't handle the heat stay out of the kitchen. Nobody wants weak willed wussies wussying things up anyways. If they want to be an unappreciated nobody in the states somewhere that's great.

If they want to be famous, with their faces on millions of kids walls all over the country, they should play here.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005

It's most likely why Ryan O'Reilly chose to sign with Nashville instead of here (I don't think anyone would accuse Nashville of being closer to contention).

Imagine ROR as our 3rd line centre right now? Only makes $2m more than Kampf.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Do they want the honour of playing for the flagship franchise of the NHL or not?

Can't handle the heat stay out of the kitchen. Nobody wants weak willed wussies wussying things up anyways. If they want to be an unappreciated nobody in the states somewhere that's great.

If they want to be famous, with their faces on millions of kids walls all over the country, they should play here.
How many posters said Tavares would not want to play in Toronto because he did not want to deal with the media and fans? Yet here we are 6 years later and we can't get rid of him. LOL.

57 Years No Cup

Nov 12, 2007
Lol, yeah let's disregard probably the top insider in the NHL right now because we don't like what he said. That's not childish at all.
Friedman has zero credibility on this issue unless he comes up with names. Frankly, it's quite childish to believe rumours like this gossip with ZERO factual evidence.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
It's most likely why Ryan O'Reilly chose to sign with Nashville instead of here (I don't think anyone would accuse Nashville of being closer to contention).

It is looking like ROR made the right choice. Smashvillie looks ripe to make a good run.

Reactions: Darcy Tucker

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Friedman has zero credibility on this issue unless he comes up with names. Frankly, it's quite childish to believe rumours like this gossip with ZERO factual evidence.

It's very telling how it's the fans and media treatment of MARNER why aaaallllll these players aren't signing here.

They could have assembled a Stanley Cup winning team if it wasn't for all us damn evil toxic fans in the comments section on hfboards.

The only one I ever heard complain about the Toronto media is Marner.

tuckerintensity

armed with will and determination
Jul 16, 2022

OK? I think that's exactly what is being said. Some people don't want the ridiculous scrutiny that comes with playing here or Montreal. Play in Florida, win, live a pretty normal life with more money than you would here. Don't take it so personally.

The lack of state income tax doesn't hurt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad