Jeff Skinner turns down offer with Toronto

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
The bigger loss is Henrique, if it’s true he also turned them down. The Leafs core has a reputation.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I thought we didn’t like soft, undersized scoring one dimensional wingers?

Funny how predictable this stuff has become with certain groups of posters on here eh? Had they signed him you know damn well the same people are complaining he is soft and this and that.

Also as an aside, did they offer 3M or league min? Because my guess is we did not offer him 3M

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Funny how predictable this stuff has become with certain groups of posters on here eh? Had they signed him you know damn well the same people are complaining he is soft and this and that.

Also as an aside, did they offer 3M or league min? Because my guess is we did not offer him 3M

To me while he’s a goal scorer he’s not what the composition of the top 9 needs.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I can easily understand the appeal of choosing the team which was a win away from winning The Stanley Cup when the player in question has yet to even suit up for a playoff game at all.

Reactions: PROUD PAPA

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Make no mistake, the same people pushing for him would be absolutely burying him in less than 20 games
At a team friendly cap hit he'd get some rope. Pass at $3m. As for being small, he's 5-11, 197.

He is the Justin Beiber of hockey. LOL.

1720044967862.png

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Honestly has the chance to be the funniest timeline where the Oilers have a cup hangover from playing so late and miss the playoffs

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
This is probably more along the lines of these guys want a cup, and Edmonton just proved a whole heck of a lot more than the Leafs have in 20 years.

If the Leafs pull off a deep run at some point I expect we will have a better sales pitch. Right now even some of the players must be raising an eyebrow as to why we can't seem to get past the first round.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
As another poster mentioned, would have much rather the Leafs signed Henrique if he had been able to get him.

Based on the rumours that the Leafs had offered both Henrique and Skinner contracts, I have to wonder whether it's a situation that they missed out on those guys so quickly pivoted to OEL; or if they've got another way to clear out the cap assumign they can add a $3m forward of their chosing.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
He picked Mcdavid over Matthews fair enough.

The real story here, if there even is one is that the pitch was he could play with Matthews and Marner.

Marner was part of the pitch which tells me he's probably not going anywhere, we can probably put that to bed.

Reactions: Kurtz and Confucius

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
The bigger loss is Henrique, if it’s true he also turned them down. The Leafs core has a reputation.

I agree - Henrique would have been an excellent solution at 3C. Maybe he didn't like the core, or maybe he was one of the guys Friedman was talking about who wouldn't consider us because of the toxic fanbase.

Reactions: Nineteen67

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Don't want Skinner at all, but I think the Toronto Maple Leafs have taken massive reputational damage around the league since 2020, several rounds of mercenaries coming to bandwagon a championship, ending in bitter defeat, a few guys coming to mercenary and build up their personal brand. Didn't really work out that well for anyone except Bunting. Hyman having success and Connor Brown coming to life in the playoffs shows you what the Oilers can do for you. Leafs, not so much.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I agree - Henrique would have been an excellent solution at 3C. Maybe he didn't like the core, or maybe he was one of the guys Friedman was talking about who wouldn't consider us because of the toxic fanbase.

You don't think Edmonton has a toxic fanbase and media?

Mark Spector vs Pissy Leon Draisaitl, Oilers Nation vs Darnell Nurse? Jersey tossing?

The difference is the core fails in spectacular and high profile ways every year and Edmonton went on a run.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON

And also that he's not a playoff performer and could never get his team there.

Reactions: HockeyVirus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad