Confirmed with Link: Jeff Skinner re-signs. 8 years, $9M AAV

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
The best thing about the Skinner buyout discourse is that it’s like 95% “I don’t want to carry that cap penalty for three extra years” or “they better spend the money or this is just a Pegula cap saving move again”

You know what is almost never said? “We’re losing a good player” or “how are we going to replace him?”

To me this remains a lot about putting heir money where their mouths are in wanting to be harder to play against. Because Skinner has no place in that. He’s downright terrible when off the top line…and this isn’t a serious team if you continue to allow him to float around the top line.

Lindy isn’t going to play him there. He can’t play anywhere else. As the veteran on the team loved in the room…young guys looking up to their highest paid, most veteran forward and how he does (and doesn’t) play is a negative to me.

As far as I’m concerned…New goal song just dropped

He's been a net positive player. While only producing on the top line is annoying, its not meaningless and will be a loss.

While moving on from him could be beneficial, I just hope the team doesn't "addition by subtraction" themselves into failing to make up for the lost offense

Reactions: Fezzy126

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
He's been a net positive player. While only producing on the top line is annoying, its not meaningless and will be a loss.

While moving on from him could be beneficial, I just hope the team doesn't "addition by subtraction" themselves into failing to make up for the lost offense

How much offense do they lose because of his passes to nowhere whenever a defender gets near him? Things aren’t just quantified by well…he could score 30…he gives up possession way too many times before he gets one. That’s team offense being stifled. I don’t care about his personal numbers. He’s a selfish player who gets numbers if, and only if, you commit top line ice time to him.

And that is not even getting into how he impacts team defense.

He’s not a net positive for the Buffalo Sabres. He’s a net positive for Jeff Skinner.

And that’s when he’s not on the third line. Where he is an unqualified disaster.

Reactions: GrierIsGod123

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
How much offense do they lose because of his passes to nowhere whenever a defender gets near him? Things aren’t just quantified by well…he could score 30…he gives up possession way too many times before he gets one. That’s team offense being stifled. I don’t care about his personal numbers. He’s a selfish player who gets numbers if, and only if, you commit top line ice time to him.

And that is not even getting into how he impacts team defense.

He’s not a net positive for the Buffalo Sabres. He’s a net positive for Jeff Skinner.

And that’s when he’s not on the third line. Where he is an unqualified disaster.
Its impressive that he's been like top 1 or 2 in goal differential on this team despite being a net negative...

The "he can't play top 6 / won't play bottom 6" thing has become such overblown hyperbole. And I'll concede the shot/chance differentials are worse, but still. Hopefully it changes in the next week, but this team is not remotely in a position to say Jeff Skinner can't be a second liner.
1719421788168.png

So buy him out and save some cap, get a better PP guy, get a stronger culture, that's great. But there's a ridiculous amount of scape-goating going on here, and if the organization has the same mindset that he had no positive contribution to replace, we're in trouble.

Reactions: Irie and Beerz

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Its impressive that he's been like top 1 or 2 in goal differential on this team despite being a net negative...

The "he can't play top 6 / won't play bottom 6" thing has become such overblown hyperbole. And I'll concede the shot/chance differentials are worse, but still. Hopefully it changes in the next week, but this team is not remotely in a position to say Jeff Skinner can't be a second liner.
View attachment 887526

So buy him out and save some cap, get a better PP guy, get a stronger culture, that's great. But there's a ridiculous amount of scape-goating going on here, and if the organization has the same mindset that he had no positive contribution to replace, we're in trouble.
Nobody is saying Jeff Skinner was the difference between us making the playoffs and not. Literally nobody.

He is ONE OF the problems that needs to be carved out in order to reshape the team into one that's actually going to win games. He is the poster boy of everything people hated about this team last year - soft, no forecheck, doesn't go to the net, shies away from contact, turnovers like crazy.

His spot on the roster and cap hit makes construction difficult if we are trying to face lift this team. Not to mention with more prospects that play his position for much cheaper down the line.

This is management also letting players know that this kinda play isn't gonna fly anymore. I'm glad they're being proactive and not reactive to this.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
Not at all. There’s literally no point in being a told you so.

I don’t think they will acquire anything good with the cap space created. My reasoning is Adams’ track record. Adams is not a serious GM. In way over his head.
You could ADD to the thread by telling us all some moves you would like to see that you believe the team will not do.

Even the most pessimistic posters on here will throw around their ideas of what they would like to see but you seem satisfied just complaining.

Reactions: Zman5778

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Nobody is saying Jeff Skinner was the difference between us making the playoffs and not. Literally nobody.

He is ONE OF the problems that needs to be carved out in order to reshape the team into one that's actually going to win games. He is the poster boy of everything people hated about this team last year - soft, no forecheck, doesn't go to the net, shies away from contact, turnovers like crazy.

His spot on the roster and cap hit makes construction difficult if we are trying to face lift this team. Not to mention with more prospects that play his position for much cheaper down the line.

This is management also letting players know that this kinda play isn't gonna fly anymore. I'm glad they're being proactive and not reactive to this.

That isn't true.. Ive seen a few people assert that talking point about Skinner

Reactions: Sabre the Win

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
I feel like the likely direction here may not be the sexy "replace Skinner on the top line with a top 6 forward from outside the organization", but to replace skinner from within (maybe keep JJP up on the top line), and then replace 3rd line Skinner with a legitimate bottom 6 role player.

That feels much more "Adams-ish" in terms of cap cost, salary cost, and acquisition cost.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
You could ADD to the thread by telling us all some moves you would like to see that you believe the team will not do.

Even the most pessimistic posters on here will throw around their ideas of what they would like to see but you seem satisfied just complaining.
I didn’t list players but I listed what I think we need in the roster thread.

I’m not complaining. I made a statement to someone saying buying out Skinner shows they are serious again.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I feel like the likely direction here may not be the sexy "replace Skinner on the top line with a top 6 forward from outside the organization", but to replace skinner from within (maybe keep JJP up on the top line), and then replace 3rd line Skinner with a legitimate bottom 6 role player.

That feels much more "Adams-ish" in terms of cap cost, salary cost, and acquisition cost.
Agreed. I feel like Skinner's replacement (assuming he's bought out) is already in the organization.

I feel like the top 6 is going to be: Tage, Tuch, Cozens, JJP, Quinn and then 1 of Benson, Savoie, Kulich or Rosen.

I think where Adams is most likely to (over) spend is bottom 6 wings, 1 bottom 6 center and MAYBE a bottom 4 RHD.

Reactions: Irie

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017

View attachment 887526

I'm with you... His on ice play drives me nuts, but I've repeatedly pointed out that he's a net positive. If it's so easy to be a net positive on this team then why doesn't anyone else post consistent positive results?

1719428125673.png

Of our top 10 guys in 5v5 GF%:
  1. Traded
  2. Still here
  3. Everyone wants to trade
  4. Probably in the AHL this year
  5. Still here
  6. Getting bought out
  7. Everyone hates him, or want him as the organization's 8/9 defensemen
  8. Still here
  9. Still here
  10. Hated by most fans
I support a buyout because I think they can do better from a roster construction standpoint, but his on ice impacts will not be easily replaced.

Reactions: jc17 and Sabreality

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Agreed. I feel like Skinner's replacement (assuming he's bought out) is already in the organization.

I feel like the top 6 is going to be: Tage, Tuch, Cozens, JJP, Quinn and then 1 of Benson, Savoie, Kulich or Rosen.

I think where Adams is most likely to (over) spend is bottom 6 wings, 1 bottom 6 center and MAYBE a bottom 4 RHD.
I think it's too young, Lindy will ask Adams for experienced players, as he did in the Devils (Palat, Toffoli, Meier).

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I'm with you... His on ice play drives me nuts, but I've repeatedly pointed out that he's a net positive. If it's so easy to be a net positive on this team then why doesn't anyone else post consistent positive results?

View attachment 887596

Of our top 10 guys in 5v5 GF%:
  1. Traded
  2. Still here
  3. Everyone wants to trade
  4. Probably in the AHL this year
  5. Still here
  6. Getting bought out
  7. Everyone hates him, or want him as the organization's 8/9 defensemen
  8. Still here
  9. Still here
  10. Hated by most fans
I support a buyout because I think they can do better from a roster construction standpoint, but his on ice impacts will not be easily replaced.
Is it that hard? He almost always played on the first line with Thompson and Tuck. Not physical, doesn't play defense, not a good PP, doesn't play the PK. There are quite a few players in the league who can score 25-35 goals and be much more useful than Skinner in other things.

Also, we have to take into account that our coach is now Lindy Ruff (and I'm sure he doesn't need Skinner, he needs Coleman, Buchnevich or someone like that). It was under Granato that we played without any defense system and just had fun. Lindy said in an interview that the team needs to improve its overall defense.

Was that Lindy asking, or the GM just giving him that?

I'll believe Adams brings in a legit top 6 option when I see it.
I have no idea how they interacted with the Jersey GM.

It doesn't have to be a top 6 forward, it could be a top 9 forward who can easily play top 6 (if needed). But overall our team is really young.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Yeah I felt like taking receipts for when Skinner goes to another team and wins the cup.
I don't understand the fear of worrying about what a player is going to do once he's gone.

People were complaining that Adams ran it back and we all wanted change on the roster well he's doing it and now everybody is gonna say everyone we get rid of is gonna win the Stanley Cup.

Who cares? If Adams fills his cap space with proper players and we make the playoffs does it matter what Jeff Skinner does? The guy who was a free agent and could sign with any team he wanted? Of course he's going to have a run next year, the guy is picking his next team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad