Confirmed with Link: Jeff Skinner -- Bought Out 6/29/24

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
No you can't. But in the case of Skinner that NMC was a major issue. He very well may have said he's not waiving his NMC for anyone and forced the buy-out.
Well I didn't mean trading Skinner, I know he's using his NMC. I mean in general with new adds that KA makes to the roster...you can always trade those guys later assuming you didn't hand out another dumb NMC contract like Skinner got.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Kevyn Adams is definitely making moves this summer. Excited to see how he fills out the roster over the rest of the off-season. I’m tentatively optimistic with how he’s kicked things off over the last few days.
I want your optimism. It's been pulled out of me like a Mortal Kombat fatality.

I assume I'm going to be not talking Sabres for a few months again after nothing of note happens and its just minor deck chair shuffles we try to convince ourselves are real to disguise the fact that we're a farm team for the NHL.

thekenneth

Jan 25, 2013
Skinner would have one good game and about 5 bad ones and repeat. I was against his long term contract from the get go. he had a really good year the season before last but so did a handful of sabres players. sabres have a lot of cap to play around with this year. I see all these rumours of players that sabres are going after that look like they were written by ai. let's see if they actually bring someone in.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
They came to the point that it needed to be done. You can’t go into next season with a player that knows management doesn’t want the player in the room. Once they came out and said they are looking at their options with Skinner, there was no path back to putting that back in the bottle.

I’m not going to praise Adams for cleaning up his own mess. End of the Skinner chapter, time to move on.

TheBarnIsElectric

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2010
I thought it was an overpay, but a necessary one at the time. We needed his scoring and letting him leave would have only led to the teardown sooner.

I don't think the contract ever really hurt us, because even when he was horrible, the team sucked too and cap space was not going to solve our problems.

He scored a lot of goals and he was fun to watch, but he no longer fits what we need. The buyout isn't ideal, but again, it's necessary.

My only regret about Skinner's tenure with the team is that Ralph Krueger was his coach.

Reactions: Dex

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
They came to the point that it needed to be done. You can’t go into next season with a player that knows management doesn’t want the player in the room. Once they came out and said they are looking at their options with Skinner, there was no path back to putting that back in the bottle.

I’m not going to praise Adams for cleaning up his own mess. End of the Skinner chapter, time to move on.
In all fairness he’s cleaning up Botterill’s mess. Buyout was the only real option with Skinner. The posturing to the media was a Hail Mary attempt to unload his contract to anybody with Skinner waiving.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
I like the buy out, but I don't think Skinner is done scoring goals in the league. He regressed like almost everyone else did last season.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
In all fairness he’s cleaning up Botterill’s mess. Buyout was the only real option with Skinner. The posturing to the media was a Hail Mary attempt to unload his contract to anybody with Skinner waiving.
Wouldn’t need to buy him out if Adams built a competitive team from the moment he became GM. Skinner and his contract were not blocking that from happening. Skinner quickly turned into the “scapegoat” for the media to latch onto because he’s the most expensive contract. Now that Adams is in panic mode to field a competitive team, he’s at a loss of what to do.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
Wouldn’t need to buy him out if Adams built a competitive team from the moment he became GM. Skinner and his contract were not blocking that from happening. Skinner quickly turned into the “scapegoat” for the media to latch onto because he’s the most expensive contract. Now that Adams is in panic mode to field a competitive team, he’s at a loss of what to do.
Cutting ties with a defensive black hole and possession murderer suggests just the opposite of panic. Trust me he won’t be missed.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Cutting ties with a defensive black hole and possession murderer suggests just the opposite of panic. Trust me he won’t be missed.
Because Skinner hasn’t been a black hole his whole time here. If ownership didn’t decide to move on from Granato, which was a sign there was a change in direction and urgency, Skinner would still be here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad