GDT: 2024 NHL Free Agent Frenzy

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

gn2007

Nov 21, 2009
Shelby Township, MI
This really hurts to read from stammer

“That's the toughest part is trying to hang on to something that maybe isn't trying to hang on to you and that was the tough part for sure. But like I said, the memories I've had in Tampa will always trump whatever ill will or feelings I've had throughout this process. Those are temporary, those are emotional decisions and you know as time passes, those usually go away.”

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket

“That's the toughest part is trying to hang on to something that maybe isn't trying to hang on to you and that was the tough part for sure. But like I said, the memories I've had in Tampa will always trump whatever ill will or feelings I've had throughout this process. Those are temporary, those are emotional decisions and you know as time passes, those usually go away.”
Christ, it’s like a breakup

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
JBB got asked about having 10 F and needing 12. He said "My phone has been humming since I've been standing here. We're working on a few things, and hopefully we'll be able to announce them tonight...tomorrow...or in the coming days".
Don't get your hopes up here. He's probably talking about getting those roster spots filled. Which will most likely be leftover scraps from FA at this point. We don't have enough cap to sign a difference maker. Unless there's a trade or two.

Reactions: Stammertime91

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
We have $6.725M and still need to sign Moser.
Moser shouldnt cost more than 2.5 to 3 million. So we had money to sign one of Mantha or Skinner. If JBB doesnt upgrade the forward and is wasting 2 million on deadweight like Sheary we are doomed.
Sheary is by far worse than both of them.
2 Million for two more years
1719875033269.png

One year at 3.5 million
1719875048738.png

One year at 3 million
1719875060970.png

What a complete waste of salary and being scared to go after better fowards.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
Moser shouldnt cost more than 2.5 to 3 million. So we had money to sign one of Mantha or Skinner. If JBB doesnt upgrade the forward and is wasting 2 million on deadweight like Sheary we are doomed.
Skinner went to Edmonton for $3M

AHockeyFanatic

Champa Bay
Jul 4, 2021

I don’t know if any of you follow “The Hockey Guy” on youtube but he said he agreed with JBB not signing Stamkos, fwiw.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Don't get your hopes up here. He's probably talking about getting those roster spots filled. Which will most likely be leftover scraps from FA at this point. We don't have enough cap to sign a difference maker. Unless there's a trade or two.
This. We aren't generating top 6 players out of FA now. Those are gone. It's either trade or Conor Sheary... come on down...

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
I don’t know if any of you follow “The Hockey Guy” on youtube but he said he agreed with JBB not signing Stamkos, fwiw.
I lost interest when I realized he writes an entire dissertation in size 2 font on his whiteboard. Gotta up the production quality. The changing jerseys and cats are a good touch, but dude... I can't read those boards

He was available until like 10 minutes ago.
That humming phone was Edmonton brass saying "gotcha bitch" as they sent a photo of the Skinner contract.

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
Just my thoughts but Skinner gets to go play in Canada and probably more importantly - the one team that's likely going the deepest next playoffs that showed interest in him

Reactions: AHockeyFanatic

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
I lost interest when I realized he writes an entire dissertation in size 2 font on his whiteboard. Gotta up the production quality. The changing jerseys and cats are a good touch, but dude... I can't read those boards

That humming phone was Edmonton brass saying "gotcha bitch" as they sent a photo of the Skinner contract.
It is insane Mantha and Skinner are signing for 1.5 million more than we signed Sheary for and we can go all in on either of them.
There is only one way to fix this left this lets offer all our of picks next year for Jeannot.
I wouldn't mind signing Henrique for cheap.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Some thoughts from the presser:

JBB talked about wanting to win now and compete for Cups, keep that window open, which has been unquestionably what he's tried to do with the roster the past 5 years, but there was also a lot of talk about adding Geekie, the "highest profile" prospect we've had in our pool the past few years, and creating a better pipeline, getting younger. It just seems like these things conflict a little. Like some of us have said, are you going all in now, or is it more of a retool and set up for a year or 2 later? They've tried to trade away top 60, top 90 picks and prospects to "win now," and we haven't gotten the results we want out of that the past 2 years, so not a terrible thing to shift focus, but you either look to the present or look to the future.

He brought up his comments he made on Stammer from his end of the season presser after the Florida series. He said he meant everything he said, but if you go back and read them, it just doesn't like like that's true. The words don't match the actions. One of things he went hard into at that presser was how much Stammer meant as a leader, and then he kinda pulled back on that just now that it's more of a group thing. Don't necessarily disagree that leadership doesn't just come from 1 individual, but it felt more like a slight to down play Stammer's value.

He brought up there we various scenarios they presented to Stamkos. This presents them as being flexible, but he said himself the other day that he wouldn't change his offer after the Sergachev and Jeannot trades freed up more cap space.

I thought bringing up Kopitar was a strange thing. Like who cares what other franchise do with their star players, who they sign, who they trade, who they let go? They are them, we are us. You make your own decisions. There's many different variables as to why anyone does what they do. Why compare yourself to other GMs?

Lastly, he said Vinik did not play an active role in the negotiations. Very much like with Yzerman, Vinik lets his GM be the GM and trusts him to make the right decisions. Only time I think we've ever seen Vinik get involved was when Marty requested his trade and Vinik tried to walk him back off the ledge.

Last edited:

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011

JBB talked about wanting to win now and compete for Cups, keep that window open, which has been unquestionably what he's tried to do with the roster the past 5 years, but there was also a lot of talk about adding Geekie, the "highest profile" prospect we've had in our pool the past few years, and creating a better pipeline. It just seems like these things conflict a little. Like some of us have said, are you going all in now, or is it more of a retool and set up for a year or 2 later? They've tried to trade away top 60, top 90 picks and prospects to "win now," and we haven't gotten the results we want out of that the past 2 years, so not a terrible thing to shift focus, but you either look to the present or look to the future.

He brought up his comments he made on Stammer from his end of the season presser after the Florida series. He said he meant everything he said, but if you go back and read them, it just doesn't like like that's true. The words don't match the actions. One of things he went hard into at that presser was how much Stammer meant as a leader, and then he kinda pulled back on that just now that it's more of a group thing. Don't necessarily disagree that leadership doesn't just come from 1 individual, but it felt more like a slant to down play Stammer's value.

He brought up there we various scenarios they presented to Stamkos. This presents them as being flexible, but he said himself the other day that he wouldn't change his offer after the Sergachev and Jeannot trades freed up more cap space.

I thought bringing up Kopitar was a strange thing. Like who cares what other franchise do with their star players, who they sign, who they trade, who they let go? They are them, we are us. You make your own decisions. There's many different variables as to why anyone does what they do. Why compare yourself to other GMs?
It was lousy. He looked nervous and unsure of how things were going to go in that presser and went for direct mitigation of hurt. Control and direct it elsewhere. Immediately pivoted to Guentzel and "the prime..." of players. Yet he's about to offer an extension to Hedman? Just days after unloading Sergachev? Weeks after bringing in mid 30s McD? He's full of shit.

He wants a competitive team and future, duh. I want food and oxygen. Cool. That's not groundbreaking. He just made a stamp on his tenure as profound as two cup wins. If that's anybody apart from 77 or 91, it's not a big deal. He bullshitted to get outta that presser. Should run for a political office after his GM'ing career is over.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

JBB talked about wanting to win now and compete for Cups, keep that window open, which has been unquestionably what he's tried to do with the roster the past 5 years, but there was also a lot of talk about adding Geekie, the "highest profile" prospect we've had in our pool the past few years, and creating a better pipeline. It just seems like these things conflict a little. Like some of us have said, are you going all in now, or is it more of a retool and set up for a year or 2 later? They've tried to trade away top 60, top 90 picks and prospects to "win now," and we haven't gotten the results we want out of that the past 2 years, so not a terrible thing to shift focus, but you either look to the present or look to the future.

He brought up his comments he made on Stammer from his end of the season presser after the Florida series. He said he meant everything he said, but if you go back and read them, it just doesn't like like that's true. The words don't match the actions. One of things he went hard into at that presser was how much Stammer meant as a leader, and then he kinda pulled back on that just now that it's more of a group thing. Don't necessarily disagree that leadership doesn't just come from 1 individual, but it felt more like a slant to down play Stammer's value.

Bringing other players up may be irrelevant to fans and media, but I can also see why he'd know that.

Agents and GMs care because they use player comparisons for contracts. There's also a difference between signing on the verge of free agency, or a year ahead. Signing early makes the final year of the deal basically irrelevant. There was no contract year performance. It also didn't factor into whatever the new deal was going to be.

Reactions: Renopucker

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
It was lousy. He looked nervous and unsure of how things were going to go in that presser and went for direct mitigation of hurt. Control and direct it elsewhere. Immediately pivoted to Guentzel and "the prime..." of players. Yet he's about to offer an extension to Hedman? Just days after unloading Sergachev? Weeks after bringing in mid 30s McD? He's full of shit.

He wants a competitive team and future, duh. I want food and oxygen. Cool. That's not groundbreaking. He just made a stamp on his tenure as profound as two cup wins. If that's anybody apart from 77 or 91, it's not a big deal. He bullshitted to get outta that presser. Should run for a political office after his GM'ing career is over.
Guentzel will also be 30 when the season starts. He'll be 36 when this 7 year deal is up. So we're not just having him in his prime.

Reactions: Stammertime91

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay

Well he must mean trade because those free agent pickings are getting slim. Unless he's talking about Hedman but that's not really a move.

JBB jettisoning pick after pick while touting how nice of a prospect Geekie is was so incongruent. Like others said, how he handled the negotiations and what he said at the presser about being flexible, also didn't match up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad