Friedman: Jeff Skinner Buyout is a possibility.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Except it would be 9 mil both those years if he wasn’t bought out…so they have more room as he’s not playing a meaningful role those years. This is the fallicy when folks bring up those numbers!

25-30 goals for but how many goals against ?! He is a black hole for defense
Amazing he was only a -2 and his possession stats are not even close to terrible. But we keep filling in some idiotic narrative to make him the fall guy. This is going to be such a Buffalo thing. Worst contract ever where we bid on ourselves, but it out for emotional reasons and watch him score 30-35 in Toronto as a plus player.

If management has that poor of a relationship with a guy you paid $72M to, that is a failure. If a team can't find a way to make a 25-40 goal scorer work on a roster, rather than paying him $15M to note be on the roster for 6 years, that is a total failure. Signing the contract in the first place was a failure.

IMO - I'd rather eat at least another year with him on the roster rather than buy him out and have him on the books for 6 (SIX!!!!!!) years.

Spinning this as a good outcome, on any level, is insanity. And its not the best of bad options. Eating this contract will take us into the 2030s with Skinner on the books. Holy f***nuts!!!

Wait until they buy him, and don't spend anywhere near the cap. We'll see if that happens

KrakenSabresMike

Oct 7, 2020
Amazing he was only a -2 and his possession stats are not even close to terrible. But we keep filling in some idiotic narrative to make him the fall guy. This is going to be such a Buffalo thing. Worst contract ever where we bid on ourselves, but it out for emotional reasons and watch him score 30-35 in Toronto as a plus player.

Wait until they buy him, and don't spend anywhere near the cap. We'll see if that happens
Put him on the 3rd line this year ( he’s not on the 1st or 2nd next year under ruff) and tell me he’s a good fit at all - also +|- is a bs stat

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
I'm sure the Blackhawks would be willing to retain on his contract as part of a 3-way deal where Skinner ends up in Toronto for a simple swap of 1st round picks (#18 and #11.)

Buffalo saves millions in actual dollars, saves years on the AAV cap hit to spend elsewhere.
Chicago moves up in the draft.
Toronto gets a winger who can score 20-30 goals.

Win/win/win

KrakenSabresMike

Oct 7, 2020
To paraphrase Mike Keenan, I'll take my chances with a roster full of plus players any day of the year.
Then you won’t want Jeff skinner every year but one
IMG_3017.jpeg

KrakenSabresMike

Oct 7, 2020
Here another one for the plus minus crowd - yes his offense is good ( or was 2 years ago driving this number) but his defense is ZERO percentile…as a 3rd liner with less offensive how is that getting us to the playoffs next year

also take away his teammate quality at 87% and how much of his offense disappears

IMG_3018.jpeg

• Love

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Giving their RFA's more than fair deals, they should still have 10M minimum to fill a few forward spots.

If they buy Skinner out next summer, the cap penalty is 4 years instead of 5 after 24-25.

So unless the Sabres are planning on spending well over 10 million dollars on free agent forwards this year, I don't see any reason to do this now.

Reactions: Daz28

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
Giving their RFA's more than fair deals, they should still have 10M minimum to fill a few forward spots.

If they buy Skinner out next summer, the cap penalty is 4 years instead of 5 after 24-25.

So unless the Sabres are planning on spending over 10 million dollars on free agent forwards this year, I don't see any reason to do this now.
As the De Facto GM in this moment, I am 100% acquiring two players for about 10m total.

dickiedunnwrotethis

It's gotta be true.
May 16, 2009
saskatoon

So unless the Sabres are planning on spending well over 10 million dollars on free agent forwards this year, I don't see any reason to do this now.
One reason would be to create a winning culture, one that takes pride in hard work and defensive responsibility. Addition by subtraction.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

They could just want to move on and open up a spot for one of the prospects rather than it being a cap decision. The Devils had a ton of cap space entering the 2017 offseason and they bought out Mike Cammalleri. They didn't go nuts in free agency, freed up a spot for Nico Hischier (and unexpectedly Jesper Bratt). Pavel Zacha and Miles Wood were going to get more ice time as well. I forget if they had an inkling that Blake Coleman was ready for a bigger role too.

PatLaFontaineASMR

Jul 9, 2014
Parts Unkown

Ruff doesn't want him in the lineup just like Rod didn't want him in the lineup.

start winnin

NO MORE TANK BOYS
May 7, 2011
Buffalo
There's a lot of reasons buying Skinner out makes sense.

He's a cherry picker who picks his spot, he'll get you 30 goals but other than that, doesn't bring anything else, no physicality, no defense, no board work, no forecheck. Buying him out saves us some cap space and provides a roster spot for one of our plethora of forward prospects to try to make the team. We also have Jack Quinn who is (if able to stay healthy) already a better player than Skinner.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I'm sure the Blackhawks would be willing to retain on his contract as part of a 3-way deal where Skinner ends up in Toronto for a simple swap of 1st round picks (#18 and #11.)

Buffalo saves millions in actual dollars, saves years on the AAV cap hit to spend elsewhere.
Chicago moves up in the draft.
Toronto gets a winger who can score 20-30 goals.

Win/win/win

I’m sure they would. That is not what a double retention is worth. We’ve seen this done in many trades now; it generally gets the intermediary retaining team a mid-round pick.

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
I’m sure they would. That is not what a double retention is worth. We’ve seen this done in many trades now; it generally gets the intermediary retaining team a mid-round pick.
all those double retentions are on 1 years deal when lots have teams have cap space at the TDL (your cap space accrues or you use our LTIR) . a 3 year in the off season would cost alot.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Trade Skinner for Campbell, buy out Campbell, or trade him at 50% retention?

Neither scenario is appealing, but having Skinner around for another 3 years...oof. Sabres have to stop giving out dumb deals.

leafsfan2point0

Jun 8, 2011
I’d take him on the leafs for a cheap bounce back 1 year deal to rebuild value. Ride shotgun with Matthews who would help mask Skinner defensively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad