Friedman: Jeff Skinner Buyout is a possibility.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
It’s time for everyone to move on
Pretty much. Skinner doesn’t make sense on this roster anymore and is ineffective as a third liner. Abysmal on defense and the poster boy for the things the Sabres refuse to do. This makes things much easier for both parties.

I’m sure he’ll win the Stanley cup next year but if we make the playoffs because of how we build the roster out with his cap space it’s worth it.

Reactions: dickiedunnwrotethis

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
his cap hit is 4.44 25-26 and 6.44 26-27, that is pretty big hit when buff's windows feels like it opens next year.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
This guy credible?
Chad's fairly reliable. He's had the lead on a few different signings - he broke the Cozens and Tage signings. But he's put out a few rumors that didn't come to fruition too.

But he wouldn't put this out there as confirmed if it wasn't true.

Reactions: banks

KrakenSabresMike

Oct 7, 2020
his cap hit is 4.44 25-26 and 6.44 26-27, that is pretty big hit when buff's windows feels like it opens next year.
Except it would be 9 mil both those years if he wasn’t bought out…so they have more room as he’s not playing a meaningful role those years. This is the fallicy when folks bring up those numbers!

he'll be a nice pickup for a team needing 25-30 goals 5v5.
25-30 goals for but how many goals against ?! He is a black hole for defense

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
Also guaranteed cup! So there's that.

Eichel, ROR, Reinhart, Montour, Rodrigues, Kulikov, Okposo. Teams should be tripping over themselves to add former Sabres.
But that would mean Skinner made the playoffs...

RWatson29

Apr 24, 2012
Ontario
So glad I finally don’t have to watch this guy anymore. Easily my most hated sabre I’ve ever had to watch for a stretch of time. Yeah he can create goals for himself usually off of turnovers but that’s pretty much it. He has some of the worst hockey IQ I’ve ever seen, one of the softest shots, he’s a horrible passer who makes even worse decisons while trying to do so. He constantly coasts defensivley, constantly b*tching about anything and everything. Cannot create or drive anything for teammates. The worst was just the little ballerina skating changes of direction and pivoting just for sake of doing it?? Good luck to whoever signs this guy. Not a terrible player, just no where close to what his numbers would say and I wouldn’t pay him anything over 5

Reactions: Dijock94

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
LOL. It would so Sabres to take bad situation and make it worst. He's almost automatic to sign with Leafs for $3 M and score 30. This whole move is likely about Pegula saving the actual $7.3 M. Who wants to take bets Buffalo will be no where the $88 M cap when the season starts.
I will. What’s the O/U on “nowhere near”

• Haha
Reactions: Irie

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Yes, he’s a connected local reporter.

If that's the case that's a pretty good player the free agent market is about to get.

Chad's fairly reliable. He's had the lead on a few different signings - he broke the Cozens and Tage signings. But he's put out a few rumors that didn't come to fruition too.

But he wouldn't put this out there as confirmed if it wasn't true.

So then you believe This one. If that's the case that's a pretty good player the free agent market is about to get

• Haha
Reactions: KrakenSabresMike

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Pretty much. Skinner doesn’t make sense on this roster anymore and is ineffective as a third liner. Abysmal on defense and the poster boy for the things the Sabres refuse to do. This makes things much easier for both parties.

I’m sure he’ll win the Stanley cup next year but if we make the playoffs because of how we build the roster out with his cap space it’s worth it.
You hope you are both successful.

LongWayDown37

Mar 8, 2006
He will likely wind up with the Leafs for about 3-4M.
If that happens and the Sabres didn't trade him to the Leaf's with 50% retention - that is a MASSIVE failure for Adams.

If the buyout happens, IMO, this is horrendous cap and asset management on behalf of the Sabres. Separately, if the Sabres don't spend to the cap - this will be the biggest signal yet that Pegula is completely disinvested in the Sabres.

Clown show. I hope I'm surprised.

KrakenSabresMike

Oct 7, 2020
If that happens and the Sabres didn't trade him to the Leaf's with 50% retention - that is a MASSIVE failure for Adams.

If the buyout happens, IMO, this is horrendous cap and asset management on behalf of the Sabres. Separately, if the Sabres don't spend to the cap - this will be the biggest signal yet that Pegula is completely disinvested in the Sabres.

Clown show. I hope I'm surprised.
How is it a failure?! Skinner has the right to say no and double dip - and he’d be smart to money wise. If skinner said yes it would have been a trade already.

Given the nmc your take is pretty off. Look at what it did to a good players value ( Ullmark) - now make it a questionable one with a horrible contract

Reactions: FrankGallagher

LongWayDown37

Mar 8, 2006
How is it a failure?! Skinner has the right to say no and double dip - and he’d be smart to money wise. If skinner said yes it would have been a trade already.

Given the nmc your take is pretty off. Look at what it did to a good players value ( Ullmark) - now make it a questionable one with a horrible contract
If management has that poor of a relationship with a guy you paid $72M to, that is a failure. If a team can't find a way to make a 25-40 goal scorer work on a roster, rather than paying him $15M to note be on the roster for 6 years, that is a total failure. Signing the contract in the first place was a failure.

IMO - I'd rather eat at least another year with him on the roster rather than buy him out and have him on the books for 6 (SIX!!!!!!) years.

Spinning this as a good outcome, on any level, is insanity. And its not the best of bad options. Eating this contract will take us into the 2030s with Skinner on the books. Holy f***nuts!!!

Reactions: banks

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Way better than $9 million.

LOL. It would so Sabres to take bad situation and make it worst. He's almost automatic to sign with Leafs for $3 M and score 30. This whole move is likely about Pegula saving the actual $7.3 M. Who wants to take bets Buffalo will be no where the $88 M cap when the season starts.
Ya, and get caved in with his defense at the same time. Would love the Leafs to sign him. LOL

KrakenSabresMike

Oct 7, 2020
If management has that poor of a relationship with a guy you paid $72M to, that is a failure. If a team can't find a way to make a 25-40 goal scorer work on a roster, rather than paying him $15M to note be on the roster for 6 years, that is a total failure. Signing the contract in the first place was a failure.

IMO - I'd rather eat at least another year with him on the roster rather than buy him out and have him on the books for 6 (SIX!!!!!!) years.

Spinning this as a good outcome, on any level, is insanity. And its not the best of bad options. Eating this contract will take us into the 2030s with Skinner on the books. Holy f***nuts!!!
If you buy him out next year it’s still 5 years of him on the cap - and the first year is 9 mil instead of 1.4. This is another cognitive error folks are making thinking about this buyout it’s not 4 yr vs 6 …it’s 6 vs 5

Also it is a good outcome for the team now. How can you not think that? It’s not just his goals it’s the total picture - someone who score 20 in his place but gives up 20 less is still more of a net positive WAR than skinner scoring 25 and giving up the same or more with his total lack of D

LongWayDown37

Mar 8, 2006
If you buy him out next year it’s still 5 years of him on the cap - and the first year is 9 mil instead of 1.4. This is another cognitive error folks are making thinking about this buyout it’s not 4 yr vs 6 …it’s 6 vs 5

Also it is a good outcome for the team now. How can you not think that? It’s not just his goals it’s the total picture - someone who score 20 in his place but gives up 20 less is still more of a net positive WAR than skinner scoring 25 and giving up the same or more with his total lack of D
I'm not having cognitive errors.... Lessing the length he is on our cap while producing nothing is preferred.

This is a total failure. Any other perspective is a joke.

KrakenSabresMike

Oct 7, 2020
I'm not having cognitive errors.... Lessing the length he is on our cap while producing nothing is preferred.

This is a total failure. Any other perspective is a joke.
So if the Sabre nab an extra great player for the extra 7 mil this year and use the rest of the cap space as planned and make the playoffs it’s a failure?

Ok bud - you have your fixed doomsday perspective so enjoy that …I think you are in th minority and the majority is the fans who are pleasantly surprised the Sabres have the guts to do this
That extra 2.4 in six years is going to be on like a 110 mil cap - it will be irrelevant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad