Friedman: Jeff Skinner Buyout is a possibility.

xNogaitx

Akuna Matata.
Sep 9, 2017
Edmonton
If he doesn't want a buyout, and considering that Buffalo has said that the 11th pick is in play for forward help, why not combine the two?

MTL
Skinner 3Y @ 9M (full cap)
11OA

BUF
Anderson 3Y @ 5.5M (full cap)
+ young forward prospect (Mesar? Heineman?)
26OA

Anderson's buyout is literally half of what Skinner's is, so that gives them more flexibility next year/pushes back the decision a bit or makes it less impactful if they still go ahead with it.

It avoids a buyout for both players this year, Buffalo gains 3.5M on top of a 3RW with speed & size and a bottom 6 prospect at F that can fight for one of their open spots next year upfront.

Then MTL turns around and retains Skinner at 50% and some of their young D, or Matheson.

Wishful thinking here, but would Skinner @ 50% for 3Y, Matheson, and Harris be a package worthy of the 13OA which is also said to be in play?

Trying to be creative here, but MTL has the cap space and there's a few targets in this draft that could be interesting around 11-13OA (Sennecke, Iginla, Catton - allows them to take BPA at 5 which is likely a defenseman.)

canuckslover10

Apr 10, 2014
so does he sign a Matt Duchene type deal when his contract is bought out cause adding him and Guentzal for like 14-14.5 million would be great for our top 6.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Who knows where he gets his info from, that's not something I can answer.

But I do know EF is legitimate
Yes he is.
But you need to parse what EF says at the beginning, which a lot of people don’t.

When he starts out with
I believe, I think, I’m wondering if ….
vs
I’m hearing, someone’s saying…..

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
I'm no Skinner fan...but the team has bigger issues than him and buying him out won't help them in a couple of years when they might start to figure it out.

Exactly. Makes zero sense this year when we probably won't even be near the cap.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
If he doesn't want a buyout, and considering that Buffalo has said that the 11th pick is in play for forward help, why not combine the two?
He doesn't have a choice.

And nobody is dealing a 1st rd pick to dump a contract AND taking back Anderson.

Reactions: JKG33

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Surprised people think Skinner wouldn't make up the 7 million he would lose from a buyout.

The last three seasons he's scored 24, 35, 33 goals and he just entering his 32 season.... I'd be shocked if he didn't get a few million as a free agent

I'd say worse case he breaks even which I'm sure he'd be ok with it he got to go to any sort of competitive team
I don’t think you understand how abysmal he is on defense. If he was even below average this wouldn’t be a discussion.

He is the ring leader of the Sabres being soft, perimeter and not wanting to go to battle.

——————————————

Also more info:

Reactions: VaporTrail

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
I don’t think you understand how abysmal he is on defense. If he was even below average this wouldn’t be a discussion.

He is the ring leader of the Sabres being soft, perimeter and not wanting to go to battle.

——————————————

Also more info:

Can we repeat, loudly, the part where it says nothing is coming from the Sabres or Skinners agent? You know, for the people saying EF is the oracle and wouldn't dare just be speculating like everyone else.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Can we repeat, loudly, the part where it says nothing is coming from the Sabres or Skinners agent? You know, for the people saying EF is the oracle and wouldn't dare just be speculating like everyone else.
I was told I was making stuff up about him and Adams

Reactions: Mattilaus

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
I have a hard time believing this because the salary cap will be $88 M in 2024-25 and Buffalo will be nowhere near that amount. My bet. The only reason I see Pegula doing this (based on his somewhat frugal ways over the past four years) is to save the actual $7.3 M, which is a lot of money. It is possible spending Pegula will show up again (that version of Pegula signed the Skinner deal in the first place), and I really question whether that is ideal. I'd rather have a reckless Pegula than a spendthrift Pegula, if I have to choose. Maybe Ruff moves Pegula to a more sensible ground. I have trouble believing it.

Reactions: Irie

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

This is not news to Sabres fans. We all know EF hasn’t had sources here since he made himself Eichel’s mouthpiece when he was forcing his way out of town.

But I’ll say it again for other fans reading this thread: EF has about as much insight in to Buffalo’s front office as you do.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Too big a coward or too smart? Skinner only has three years left, I don’t believe it’s really worth it this year. Buyouts are a crap option, especially if you don’t need it.
And this is true. But then, it's been reported here in Buffalo that since Lindy came back on board, he may very well be calling the shots.
The 1 exception to your opinion is the "especially if you don’t need it" comment. If indeed Lindy is mentoring Adams, showing him what the Sabres need with their young group to push over the hump and in to the playoffs, then yes, off loading Skinner, one way or the other is very real life.
Buffalo has the ammo to make big deals, very big deals on down to deals that address need and depth. A Skinner buyout only adds positives to that given the team friendly deals their youngsters have signed.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
If he’s bought out. He should come to
Edmonton on the cheap to give himself a chance for the Cup.

Oilers management was really high on Skinner at the draft. Would have traded up for him if it was all a possibility.

It would be a fitting full circle moment for him to finally hit the playoffs with the team that wanted him most.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
He probably goes to Toronto for pretty cheap if so right? Word being he prefers to be near that area

Maybe so, but goal scorers get paid
Eh this feels like Duchene last year, making good money from a buyout and teams leary about giving him term so he'll probably take short term low money on a team where he's a good fit

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Jeff Skinner the last quarter of the season:
22 GP, 5 Goals, 10 Pts, 13:33 TOI/GP

It's not just that he's overpaid anymore. It's that he's not very good. Once the Sabres got guys like Quinn back, Skinner was playing bottom six minutes with PP2 time.

The people who think "oh gee, Sabres buy him out, we can get him for cheap, slot him in our top 6 and viola...we just added a top sixer, 30+ goal guy for nothing"...are in for a rude awakening. We all know he can't be "the" guy...the problem is he's not much of "a" guy at this point.

Not saying he isn't worth a shout if he's bought out and floating around for a cheap-o deal...but the idea that he should be an integral part of any contending team's top six or a relied upon PP weapon - those days are probably over.
But he was a 30 goal pace before that as well as the two seasons before, so my question is why was he only playing that kind of time?

Not that I think he's a guarantee to score 30 next year, but 20 isn't too far fetched for a guy on a bargain deal.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Tbf he does with Buffalo. He hasn’t had any sources within the Sabres org since he decided to be Eichel’s mouthpiece when he forced his way out of town.
lol yeah you’re sitting in buffalo and are aware of all of the connections that are eryone in the league has. Buffalo fans on here are laughable with all of their “insider knowledge.”

You do know that players have agents, right? And they’re allowed to talk to media outside Buffalo?

Reactions: Golden_Jet

LongWayDown37

Mar 8, 2006
So this is what is likely happening:

Buffalo is trying to trade Skinner - I bet they feel like they can work through his NMC. But Buffalo is going to have to retain salary and potentially sweeten the pot with picks. Other teams want to up the retention or get more out of the Sabres - so they spread the word that Skinner is likely getting bought out to lower his value on the market. No way talks of buyout are coming from Sabres or Skinner - that doesn't help either of them.

My guess is he gets moved with retention.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad