Devils discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
A lot of these reports, if not all of them really don't make sense.
IMG_4185.gif
IMG_5310.jpeg

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
A lot of these reports, if not all of them really don't make sense.

I think both Pesce and Necas make sense as things Fitz would want to do. Maybe Necas a bit less so because of the type he is but still I’ve never thought they wanted to keep this pick and Necas is really good. I don’t think these really make sense as smart moves to make though.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I mean Necas would score 40-45 next to Jack/Bratt, let's be serious for how good he would be for them. That being said, absolutely not for the team building aspect. Just stay at 10 and take the guy with the cheap ELC and, at the worst, will be in NJ in 25-26.
I wonder. Career high of 28, and only 26 5v5 goals the past 2 seasons.

Would he play #1 PP? If he does who get's the boot?

If he was a guy we could sign for cheap, or at least reasonable, then maybe, but I tend to think he's not.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Sure that's fair but the idea is still the same where if you expect the player to go above that 9M value then you sign it so you don't handcuff yourself in the future. As for the Jack 8M thing, there was always signs he was gonna break out soon, his shot was the only thing keeping him away from being 85-90 point player and he came back in 22-23 with a lethal one. Not sure if that deal was a bet at all, I always had faith that Jack would destroy the value of 8M yearly once he signed it because of how he always came back yearly with a new facet of his game consistently improving.

We don't agree much but this is really option A lol
Luke's season showed a ton of high end talent and promise...

Look at #29 most points by a rookie defender All Time.

Reactions: ZachaFlockaFlame

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Also idk what the Luke arguments are but I don't see him starting that number at 9M, I can definitely see him doing 8-8.5Mx8

Yeah, but he's mid at it. It would end up being like Mercer

I am still team "trade the pick" but I absolutely would not for Necas
As a #3 center though, he'd probably be pretty good, and as a #3 center he'd fit well in terms of team need.

Question for me would still be can you get him to sign a 3rd center contract. And the answer there is probably not.

Reactions: woody footbreaker

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
I wonder. Career high of 28, and only 26 5v5 goals the past 2 seasons.

Would he play #1 PP? If he does who get's the boot?

If he was a guy we could sign for cheap, or at least reasonable, then maybe, but I tend to think he's not.

I have no clue tbh, I don't really want Necas to play the bumper because his shot is really lethal, you could probably him and Timo on the half boards on PP2 and switch either of them for Bratt when you want a lethal shot on PP1 opposite Jack. I forget Necas's handiness at the moment too but PP2 would make more sense.

Luke's season showed a ton of high end talent and promise...

Look at #29 most points by a rookie defender All Time.

Yeah again, I have no problem if he goes above that 9M number. It's just if you think he'll be a surplus value on the deal. That's the crux of the salary cap era in a nutshell

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Jack also came out with a public comment last offseason when Bratt and Meier were on the clock. Would kind of look funny if Luke were to play hardball.

I'm guessing he comes in at the exact deal as Jack.
Hah yeah I could see that too - or a 7.9995 per deal to not ruffle big bro's feathers...I can't really see Luke holding out for 9 when Jack's making 8, Quinn's making 7.85 and he isn't as accomplished as either yet though (granted neither was Jack when he originally signed).

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I have no clue tbh, I don't really want Necas to play the bumper because his shot is really lethal, you could probably him and Timo on the half boards on PP2 and switch either of them for Bratt when you want a lethal shot on PP1 opposite Jack. I forget Necas's handiness at the moment too but PP2 would make more sense.

Yeah again, I have no problem if he goes above that 9M number. It's just if you think he'll be a surplus value on the deal. That's the crux of the salary cap era in a nutshell

Necas is a righty

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
Fine with Necas for 10, more than fine. The extension though, gotta think it's a Bratt type deal prob a bit less..maybe the same with the ballooning cap. Lukes 8m ext coming before we know it.

The vegas cap gymnastics is gonna be fun

Reactions: BurntToast

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
Fine with Necas for 10, more than fine. The extension though, gotta think it's a Bratt type deal prob a bit less..maybe the same with the ballooning cap. Lukes 8m ext coming before we know it.

The vegas cap gymnastics is gonna be fun
I'll be clear, I don't mind the player for 10 at all. I have no idea how it works financially without cutting your defensive budget, which is problematic.

Adding Necas for 7-8 and Mercer for 3.5 - 4 puts the team around 4 million in space for a defender and potentially forward depth. That's pretty tight, especially in a market where I think defenders are going to get paid a premium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad