Proposal: Jeff Skinner at 50% retained to Chicago

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Skinner had a NMC. This is like the 3rd thread where that’s just ignored, research shit before creating a trade thread- it doesn’t work.

I'm well aware he his a NMC.

I'm assuming it wouldn't be an issue, especially considering he's going to have a reduced role in Buffalo this year.

And if Chicago is planning on buying him out, why would he turn down a trade to get money up front and a shot at being a UFA and playing wherever he wants?

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018

I'm assuming it wouldn't be an issue, especially considering he's going to have a reduced role in Buffalo this year.

And if Chicago is planning on buying him out, why would he turn down a trade to get money up front and a shot at being a UFA and playing wherever he wants?

Ya, guys get NMCs because moving is no big deal to them. Dude was pretty clear in that staying near family was key to him- I believe Buffalo and Toronto were the only two real options, once he knew Buffalo was interested. Then he’s near family, signs the NMC and outrageous AAV, and he’s gonna trade that comfort for.. Chicago? Being bought out and publicly embarrassed, hoping to get a good deal elsewhere?

I just don’t see it. The only way that’d work is if Buffalo told ‘em they’d be cutting him themselves, but then I still dont see why Skinner would want that extra step.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse

oh I don’t know, maybe because he has a huge contract in a location he wants to be in? What do you mean why would have an issue being traded to get cut?

Reactions: Chan790

gach

Aug 2, 2018

The owner in Chicago is suppose to be happy about trading for a player and then giving him money to walk away. I see this time after time that owners should just give money away. If it's such a good idea then Buffalo can buy him out and still have their pick. I'm assuming he doesn't care that he won't be used as much in Buffalo as long as he gets paid.

Reactions: Chan790

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Sorry but it's not realistic to expect Hawks to eat that buyout all to jump 7 spots in draft

Skinner buyout even at 50% retained from Sabres

2024-25 = $1,444,445
2025-26 = $4,444,445
2026-27 = $6,444,445
2027-28 = $2,244,445
2028-29 = $2,444,445
2029-30 = $2,444,445

If Skinner is moved it will be with Sabres eating some of his contract (25% at least), Taking on smaller bad contract (1-2 year deal) and giving team an asset worth taking risks on with Skinner

So more realistic

To :hawks
W Jeff Skinner (25% retained by Sabres, after retention contract becomes 4 x $6.75M)
11th overall pick in 2024 draft

To :sabres
W Andreas Athanasiou (1 x $4.25M)

Reactions: Rydgar and poobags

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY

Because what he wants is to play his home games in either Buffalo or Toronto.

There's basically no way he's getting on the Leafs and he's already on the Sabres...so he has no impetus to be in any way, shape, or form cooperative to Buffalo's fans (or FO) desires to get rid of him. He very much seems like the sort where that's more important to him than his role.

The only way Jeff Skinner won't be a Buffalo Sabre next year is if you buy him out (because his NMC can't stop you from doing that.) or if you somehow figure out how to get TML to agree to a trade for him.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Sorry but it's not realistic to expect Hawks to eat that buyout all to jump 7 spots in draft

2024-25 = $1,444,445
2025-26 = $4,444,445
2026-27 = $6,444,445
2027-28 = $2,244,445
2028-29 = $2,444,445
2029-30 = $2,444,445

If Skinner is moved it will be with Sabres eating some of his contract (25% at least), Taking on smaller bad contract (1-2 year deal) and giving team an asset worth taking risks on with Skinner

So more realistic

W Jeff Skinner (25% retained by Sabres, after retention contract becomes 4 x $6.75M)

In your dreams.

Buffalo just buys him out.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dec 17, 2018
Because what he wants is to play his home games in either Buffalo or Toronto.

There's basically no way he's getting on the Leafs and he's already on the Sabres...so he has no impetus to be in any way, shape, or form cooperative to Buffalo's fans (or FO) desires to get rid of him. He very much seems like the sort where that's more important to him than his role.

The only way Jeff Skinner won't be a Buffalo Sabre next year is if you buy him out (because his NMC can't stop you from doing that.) or if you somehow figure out how to get TML to agree to a trade for him.

Ok, but what if absolutely all of that was different? Worth considering at least.

Srsly though- Skinner for the husk of Tavares. It’d be worth it just to see what happens when dead eyes die even more, bedsheet boy having to play for the Leafs’ rivals because they got sick of his loserdom.

• Wow
Reactions: Recipe Unlimited

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Skinner had a NMC. This is like the 3rd thread where that’s just ignored, research shit before creating a trade thread- it doesn’t work.
I could see there being potential for a skinner trade if Buffalo tells him they are moving on and will buy him out unless he waives the NMC.

Skinner would lose a third of his potential remaining salary, and due to his rough second half last season, he might not be in high demand and have to sign a one year close to league minimum "prove it" deal. The stigma of a buyout for a player Skinner's age Could seriously hurt his market value.

If he wants to keep playing hockey in the NHL, and maximize his earnings, accepting a trade over accepting a buyout is probably his best course of action.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

He does but those get waived all the time, I doubt it gets waived for Chicago unless he knows he's getting bought out and can go anywhere.

At some point you have to believe he wants to play playoff games.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dec 17, 2018
He does but those get waived all the time, I doubt it gets waived for Chicago unless he knows he's getting bought out and can go anywhere.

Right, next year in Buffalo. There is no historical reason to think I’ll be let down. Again. And again. And again.

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020

2024-25 = $1,444,445
2025-26 = $4,444,445
2026-27 = $6,444,445
2027-28 = $2,244,445
2028-29 = $2,444,445
2029-30 = $2,444,445

So more realistic

The way you showed your numbers is misleading.

The cap hits you list above are full freight for a Skinner buyout now. If Buffalo holds 50% (like in OP) you can cut those numbers in half.

If you convince him to play for you, OP may not be a bad deal. If you retain 25% and trade him for assets at $2.25M, OP is a good deal. If you have to buy him out today, it's probably just a little expensive. Sabres might need to add a bit -- but not that much.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

2024-25 = $1,444,445
2025-26 = $4,444,445
2026-27 = $6,444,445
2027-28 = $2,244,445
2028-29 = $2,444,445
2029-30 = $2,444,445

So more realistic

That is the buyout on full salary, not half.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Right, next year in Buffalo. There is no historical reason to think I’ll be let down. Again. And again. And again.

Sorry but I don't think It's happening in Buffalo next year either.

I think the top 4 are still some combination of Toronto Florida, Boston Tampa, we will see how the rosters look after free agency.

Then as of today I think Detroit is 5th.

You are still better than Montreal or Ottawa though

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Sorry but I don't think It's happening in Buffalo next year either.

I think the top 4 are still some combination of Toronto Florida, Boston Tampa, we will see how the rosters look after free agency.

Then as of today I think Detroit is 5th.

You are still better than Montreal or Ottawa though
Buffalo needs an entire shutdown line. It's not that hard to get that. Ottawa needs an entire shutdown line too, plus a goalie and a RHD. That's a big shopping list.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Buffalo needs an entire shutdown line. It's not that hard to get that. Ottawa needs an entire shutdown line too, plus a goalie and a RHD. That's a big shopping list.

I think Buffalo needs a culture shock trade, take a guy like Cozens, or than 11OA pick, or both and bring in an established piece.

I think they need to do something BIG, shock the dressing room

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I think Buffalo needs a culture shock trade, take a guy like Cozens, or than 11OA pick, or both and bring in an established piece.

I think they need to do something BIG, shock the dressing room
They need their Hyman honestly. The Oilers needed a guy like that, but they had a good defensive center already in RNH. Buffalo needs both those pieces.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario

He doesn’t strike me as someone who cares much about winning. How often do you see a guy who will only accept trades to two cities because they’re close to his family? Seems ti have different priorities.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad