Value of: Jeff Petry

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
:pens
Jeff Petry, Right Defense
35 (will be 36 Dec 9)
6.25M for 2 more seasons 15-team NTC

Mattias Ekholm netted a 1st in this years' draft in a trade in February of this year. So should we expect a high 1st this year for Petry?

• Haha
Reactions: jellybeans

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
:pens
Jeff Petry, Right Defense
35 (will be 36 Dec 9)
6.25M for 2 more seasons 15-team NTC

Mattias Ekholm netted a 1st in this years' draft in a trade in February of this year. So should we expect a high 1st this year for Petry?

Petry ain't exactly on the same level as Ekholm, and is nearly 3 years older, could probably get a 2nd + B prospect with a team willing to take his contract.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Petry ain't exactly on the same level as Ekholm, and is nearly 3 years older, could probably get a 2nd + B prospect with a team willing to take his contract.

They're effectively identical players analytically.

I would expect something along the lines that Ekholm brought back, not necessarily the exact trade but the general value. I think a 2nd and a B prospect is pretty reasonable for that, granted the 2nd is mid to high. The Ekholm trade was effectively a 1st and a B prospect. Ekholm is a bit more valuable due to being a few years younger, but it's not anything substantial.

EverTheCynic

May 26, 2022

I would expect something along the lines that Ekholm brought back, not necessarily the exact trade but the general value. I think a 2nd and a B prospect is pretty reasonable for that, granted the 2nd is mid to high. The Ekholm trade was effectively a 1st and a B prospect. Ekholm is a bit more valuable due to being a few years younger, but it's not anything substantial.

WAR is not real in hockey. You may as well be posting pictures of donkeys and using them to argue one player over the other.

They're literally making stuff up to get subs and clicks. They're lying.

The Great Mighty Poo

I don't like you either.
Feb 21, 2020
Of all the problems the team had last year Petry doesnt crack the top 68000. He's one of the few defenseman will and able to shoot a puck and actually hit the net with regularity

Last edited:

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
WAR is not real in hockey. You may as well be posting pictures of donkeys and using them to argue one player over the other.

They're literally making stuff up to get subs and clicks. They're lying.

Also shouldn't be posting them from different years.

How about posting them side by side for 2023?

Reactions: ChaoticOrange

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Also shouldn't be posting them from different years.

How about posting them side by side for 2023?

Petry's player card was from last off-season and this Ekholm player card was from a few months ago. Again, they're still very similar analytically.

Ekholm's a bit better defensively and Petry's a bit better offensively, but they're both 2-way #2 defensemen who bring size and physicality.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I was a fan when it looked like Montreal would be moving on from him prior to the Pens trade. I still think he's a nice compliment to a more offensive minded tandem with Power. Would Buffalo's 2nd 2nd this year and say their own 2nd next year be of any interest? That's 45OA in this draft, then something probably later than that in 2024.

DRAGO 18

Jan 17, 2006
Pittsburgh
I was a fan when it looked like Montreal would be moving on from him prior to the Pens trade. I still think he's a nice compliment to a more offensive minded tandem with Power. Would Buffalo's 2nd 2nd this year and say their own 2nd next year be of any interest? That's 45OA in this draft, then something probably later than that in 2024.

Sounds pretty good to me!

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
If the Pens need to trade away a Defenseman again to make the cap work the Devils are definitely interested.

Topias Vilen + 2024 3rd
for
Marcus Petterson

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Just for kicks, go and look what people thought he was worth a year ago. There was a lot of "won't fetch anything" or "massive retention needed".

I expect PIT might be able to get a 2nd and a contract for him, but I'm not sure why PIT would be moving him, he fills a needs, and they want to stay competitive while Crosby is around, Petry helps with that.

Reactions: Tripledeke333

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Just for kicks, go and look what people thought he was worth a year ago. There was a lot of "won't fetch anything" or "massive retention needed".

I expect PIT might be able to get a 2nd and a contract for him, but I'm not sure why PIT would be moving him, he fills a needs, and they want to stay competitive while Crosby is around, Petry helps with that.

There is a very vocal section of Penguins fans who just insist Petry sucks for pretty much no reason. The reason this thread was made was because the OP was arguing that Petry's value was "nothing, bordering on negative" on the Penguins board.

I think it's mostly that:

1. Petry was a more well rounded, jack of all trades type of defensemen for the Penguins last year. Another way you can describe that? Boring without any clearly definable good traits.
2. Penguins fans hate Hextall so much that they'll shit talk even the players Hextall acquired.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
There is a very vocal section of Penguins fans who just insist Petry sucks for pretty much no reason. The reason this thread was made was because the OP was arguing that Petry's value was "nothing, bordering on negative" on the Penguins board.

I think it's mostly that:

1. Petry was a more well rounded, jack of all trades type of defensemen for the Penguins last year. Another way you can describe that? Boring without any clearly definable good traits.
2. Penguins fans hate Hextall so much that they'll shit talk even the players Hextall acquired.

Kinda is.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office

Ekholm is younger and you are using trade deadline values. You pay a premium at the deadline. I would not mind trading Petry and moving on from him. But using the Ekholm deadline trade value as a basis for what we could or would get in a Petry trade will lead to disappointment.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Ekholm is younger and you are using trade deadline values. You pay a premium at the deadline. I would not mind trading Petry and moving on from him. But using the Ekholm deadline trade value as a basis for what we could or would get in a Petry trade will lead to disappointment.

The Ekholm comparison was in the context of the other person saying that Petry had "zero value". The Ekholm return would be a best case scenario for Petry, but the returns suggested in here (2nd and B prospect) aren't far off from that and a hell of a lot more than the "zero value" than the OP suggested.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

Yeah. Despite whatever a JFresh chart may paint it to look like. That age difference is significant. Especially when Petry has shown that despite still being a capable defenceman, he is clearing slowing down, and the durability isn't necessarily a guarantee at his age and the wear and tear on his body. It was also a deadline deal, which carries a premium pricetag for acquisition.

The bigger difference though that really widens the gulf, is that Petry has shown that he tends to struggle when asked to be the lead-off guy. His best hockey comes when he can sit behind a true #1D like Weber or Letang. Ekholm has shown he's capable of being a top-pair matchup guy. He's also more physical.

Petry also has trade protections that limit the market. Where the Ekholm trade was almost the opposite situation, in that they had a guy who was actually willing to go to Edmonton. That Decreases Petry's value overall, and increased Ekholm's trade value to the Oilers who often run into trouble with trade protections leveraged against them.

They're really not in the same stratosphere tbh. But Petry could still have that sort of 2nd + lower end prospect sort of value. IF they can find a team that's okay with his contract and age. And IF said team is acceptable to Petry. And IF that team has the right sort of later picks that fit the value, and are willing to give them up.

More likely to me if Petry is moved. It'd be as a quasi "cap dump". Or a "cap offset" if you will. One of those guys who doesn't necessarily have "negative value" in a deal...but doesn't have huge positive value either. They just get used as a significant contract to move money the other way to make room for something else. Or offset cap risks to a different sizeable or questionmark deal coming back the other way.

That said...i'm not sure Petry is the biggest problem Pittsburgh needs to deal with. Letang and Petry locking down the 1-2RD spots is solid. It might end up being the pressure point with Dubas likely needing to move money around to reconfigure the team as a whole. If he thinks he can bring in a cheaper RD and shuffle off a few more minutes to Rutta instead or something...Petry might be easier to move than a guy like Granlund.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad