Confirmed with Link: Jean-François Houle Parts Ways with Habs/Rocket to Coach at Clarkson University

Should Houle be brought back?

• Yes

Votes: 32 30.8%
  • No

Votes: 72 69.2%

• Total voters

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
The job at Clarkson wasn't available a month ago when Houle signed his extrension. The former Clarkson coach recently left for a job at Cornell, at which point they reached out to Houle. The timing is awkward, but nothing underhanded it seems.

I get that, but not sure it's fair to the rocket that he dragged his feet in the sand and then committed to the rocket on a multi year deal only to go back on that commitment a few weeks later.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I get that, but not sure it's fair to the rocket that he dragged his feet in the sand and then committed to the rocket on a multi year deal only to go back on that commitment a few weeks later.
Depends on how up front he was about it I guess. If he told the team right away, then I'm ok with it, everybody has their dream job, you have to accept that. If he kept it under wraps, then it's pretty shady.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Depends on how up front he was about it I guess. If he told the team right away, then I'm ok with it, everybody has their dream job, you have to accept that. If he kept it under wraps, then it's pretty shady.

I doubt he kept it under wraps, but I just think that there ought to be a sense of finality to a decision when you commit to the signing.... and a multi year signing at that.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I doubt he kept it under wraps, but I just think that there ought to be a sense of finality to a decision when you commit to the signing.... and a multi year signing at that.

This is the nature of positions that are buried in organizations, you should always allow employees/members to better themselves if/when the opportunity arises.

He was a great soldier for us having bought in to a situation where he was teaching a system that was not his and understood that organizational goals took precedent over the win/loss record in Laval. I did question whether he would even want to be back due to the overt nature of commitment to these principles in this organization. Clearly, the Habs were very happy with his work and they respected him enough to grant him permission to interview and accept this position.

This is a non issue from a professionalism perspective as this happens all the time in pro sports with coaches and is considered standard practice therefore should not come with any criticism but instead gratitude for his service and well wishes for his future.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
It is interesting that coaching at a second rate D1 program is more desirable job than coaching in arguably the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th best league in the world.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
It is interesting that coaching at a second rate D1 program is more desirable job than coaching in arguably the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th best league in the world.
10 years is a long time in the AHL without getting an opportunity in the big league. At some point, you have to consider the quality of life aspect of things. It's probably as simple as that.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
The NCAA lifestyle is far better and he gets to steer the wheel in the direction he wants the program to go. He's likely realistic about his chances to land an NHL head coaching job. Many successful NCAA and CIS coaches have turned down AHL and CHL head coach offers.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
Folks have different goals and desires, I have no problem understanding his decision. Coaching in the NHL and AHL is hard on people, almost no job security and a ton of pressure. People want rewarding careers above almost everything, I bet he feels this is best chance at that.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
His wife is from that area and I think it's a great move for him and his family. Beats the hell out of riding a bus for 40+ games and playing road games in front of 300+ fans in some venues.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014

Houle is about to turn 50 and realistically for him the top of the ladder was a NHL assistant job, because he doesn't really have the profile of the guy who land a random HC gig in the NHL.

I'm guessing this off-season made him realize the calls for an assistant job in the NHL weren't coming and maybe it was time to take his career in a new direction if the opportunity presented itself.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

More money, more control, less travel, family/friend ties to the area etc....No doubt the AHL is a better league but Laval was not a place where he could work on his resume as Montreal were mirroring their concepts in Laval and Houle could not put his personal stamp on the team.

Reactions: mdk and 26Mats

jrom

Mar 28, 2022
There we go, Mtl columnists are pushing for the used car salesman that is Vincent. JiCi, Martin Lemay et al.

You tell me, what the f*** did Vincent do in the Q to warrant the attention he always got!?!?

He wasn’t given an easy task with CBJ but it looked like he made sure to f*ck it up even more along the way (Kent J deployment, his comments about Jiricek, etc). Easy no.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad