TSN: JB/Quaider/Bart who gets the axe

Status
Not open for further replies.

OutspokenMinority*

I know its unpopular but Im going with Seidenberg. I think he is an injury risk and has seen his better days. I would not get rid of Boychuk to keep Seids.

have to agree, although i would prefer to move both for a single long-term reliable option. boychuk's inability to get shots through from the point, as well as his puck-like-a-grenade-ness isn't worth the $5 million he will be looking for. seidenberg just hasn't been the same imo since the Cup win. it was like he lost half his strength and was losing physical battles regularly. that will probably only be worse now. smart player who's simply lost a step.

i don't know the combination of moves that makes the most sense, but boychuk is going to get overpaid by somebody and the Bruins should probably get a pick for him while they can. not that they draft well or anything, but maybe they can package for a longer-term option.

BergyWho37

Only The Strong Will Survive (Never Give Up)
Jun 18, 2012
True North
Love all the Bart hate, but Miller gets a pass? (I like them both for the record).

To the people that say Miller was a 7-8 and looked bad because he wasn't ready...:handclap:

My next question is WTF do you think Bart was? :laugh:

He looked bad because he wasn't ready to play 20+ min per night against Top 6 F's. He was a 5-6 d-man on a team that already has a #5 D (and PP QB) cemented into that spot, so that would make him the #7 I guess. So, the B's asked this kid who should have been playing 3rd pair LD or be the 7th D (ideally) to completely skip the transition period that both JB and McQ received on their way to starting for the B's, and to leap into the Top 4...

And people are surprised he struggled at times?

I readily admit that Bart is in a tough spot because Krug is better offensively and hugely valuable to the PP. I can see two reasons for keeping him over the other candidates:

IF...and that's a big if, the B's think that Bart could develop into a decent Top 4 by the end of this year, AND they could add a pick/prospect plus an NHL ready RW like Etem/DSP/Silfverberg/Pamieri for Boychuk, how do you not consider it?

Personally, I don't think Gagne or Fraser (and to an extent Loui) are good enough on the right side, otherwise I keep JB and let him walk at the end of the year.

Hard, hard choices for Chia and Co. IMO. People act like Bart should automatically be the one, no question. I think that if the B's felt the same, and had no questions, the deal would be done by now? Maybe the B's are just holding out, hoping that another team suffers an injury and drives the price up even further? Or it could be that it is going to come down to the return, who knows? I think they are seriously considering ALL the options, incl dealing Boychuk.

Added Palmieri ;)

I have also enjoy ideas of getting 2 of them, with adding to JB

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
If you can upgrade at FWD by moving Boychuk, do you consider it?

I do.

Maybe-depends a lot on the forward. Still not convinced this team is ready to go Boychukless but Dougie is getting better and maybe Chara can babysit somebody while Seids and Dougie play together. But the injury bug is what worries me.

But for the right winger it may be a better option than what we have. If we get a winger I suspect we will have a package as well involving a prospect or possible roster player. They can have Caron for free imo.

Edited to fix all the darn auto corrects!

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Oh, I don't mean now. Soderberg is probably the biggest steal in the league at that cap hit. Just another reason why I don't think he'll do us any favors when he hits UFA next year. I'm not talking about raking the Bruins over the coals, I'm just talking about him getting market value with his only real chance to make significant money in the NHL. He's a 28 year old center about to hit UFA that is producing excellent numbers in a diminished role on a Cup-caliber team. Everyone acknowledges he has top 6 talent, and many teams would probably love to have him as their #2. Look at what similar players have gotten over the last few years, and tell me why Soderberg wouldn't want to test that out as a UFA next year. I'd rather use that money on a very important player on defense that we don't have a legitimate replacement for rather than a #3 center that we could get by without (sure, it wouldn't nearly be as good to have someone like Spooner as the #3 center, but it wouldn't be bad either).

Because he's Carl.

If you had followed him at all over the last 5-6 years, this guy just isn't your average player. I am not going to go into all the details because I have posted them here before, but I do not think it's $$$ that drives Soderberg, it's being with a team he likes and feels comfortable with.

By all accounts, he likes the Bruins and the Bruins like him. As Dom has already said here (paraphrase), "I wouldn't bet the mortgage on it, but Carl is not going to be that expensive to re-sign."

BergyWho37

Only The Strong Will Survive (Never Give Up)
Jun 18, 2012
True North
I prefer Tatar as well, but for cap purposes, it wouldn't work unless we traded Boychuk PLUS Bart or McQuaid. Hence, Jurco would likely be a better fit.

I don't like Bruins going there.

Tatar at 2.75 for 3 is manageable IMO ..Maybe Quaider and pick ?

Then possibly Campbell for a pick somewhere

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
Because he's Carl.

If you had followed him at all over the last 5-6 years, this guy just isn't your average player. I am not going to go into all the details because I have posted them here before, but I do not think it's $$$ that drives Soderberg, it's being with a team he likes and feels comfortable with.

By all accounts, he likes the Bruins and the Bruins like him. As Dom has already said here (paraphrase), "I wouldn't bet the mortgage on it, but Carl is not going to be that expensive to re-sign."

I also think Chia spent a lot of time talking to him and encouraging him to come back to play in the NHL. I wouldn't say money doesn't matter to him but he would likely take a fair offer. I would rather trade Kelly than let Soderberg walk. When is Kelly's contract up anyway?

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
i also think chia spent a lot of time talking to him and encouraging him to come back to play in the nhl. I wouldn't say money doesn't matter to him but he would likely take a fair offer. I would rather trade kelly than let soderberg walk. When is kelly's contract up anyway?

2015-16

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Because he's Carl.

I understand Dom has Bruins connections, but I hope you can understand why I'm skeptical of Soderberg taking a big pay-cut from market value when he'll be a 28 year old UFA fresh off of the most cap-friendly deal in the NHL. While he was happy staying in Sweden for years away from the big NHL money, on the other side of the coin, that doesn't show me any loyalty to Boston either. I don't know Soderberg, so I just have to assume he'd want market value on his next contract. Doesn't seem like a crazy opinion to have to me.

I'm not questioning Dom at all BTW. I'm just not very familiar with him like a lot of people on this board are.

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia
My hope is we keep Boychuk and move one of MCquaid or Bartkowski. I just keep looking at our potential top 4 with Z, Dougie, Seids, and Boychuk and get really excited about how good that could be.

Problem is which one of McQuad or Bart do we trade?

We have a problem with team speed, Bart alleviates that somewhat.

Some feel like we may have a problem with team toughness, McQuaid helps solve that.

I really like McQuaid, but I think we would be best off moving him and keeping Bart.

Bart seems more versatile and doesn't have the injury history that Mcquaid has.

It is pretty much a wash to me. I just hope it isn't Boychuk.

I know I am in the minority but I hope it is Boychuck for these reasons:
1) he has the most value and would big back the greatest return
2) I simply do not think the Bruins can afford to keep him past this year ,he will deserve 5million plus and with Hamilton needing a new contract .How much of your salery do you want tied up in D.men.

I also hope Bart is moved I am not convinced his hockey IQ is high enough the be a soild performer at the NHL level

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I understand Dom has Bruins connections, but I hope you can understand why I'm skeptical of Soderberg taking a big pay-cut from market value when he'll be a 28 year old UFA fresh off of the most cap-friendly deal in the NHL. While he was happy staying in Sweden for years away from the big NHL money, on the other side of the coin, that doesn't show me any loyalty to Boston either. I don't know Soderberg, so I just have to assume he'd want market value on his next contract. Doesn't seem like a crazy opinion to have to me.

I'm not questioning Dom at all BTW. I'm just not very familiar with him like a lot of people on this board are.

This isn't about questioning Dom, I just happen to agree with him in this case.

Soderberg once stayed with his SEL-2 team in Malmo even after they declared bankruptcy and a bunch of vets jumped ship mid-way through the season because they thought they might not get paid.

He didn't come over to the NHL until just recently even though he most certainly could have made more money and been successful here.

For some guys it really isn't about the money, and I believe he's one of those guys. You are more than welcome to disagree, but I think he signs a Cap-friendly extension with the B's that's nowhere near $5m and probably closer to $3m.

member 96824

This isn't about questioning Dom, I just happen to agree with him in this case.

Soderberg once stayed with his SEL-2 team in Malmo even after they declared bankruptcy and a bunch of vets jumped ship mid-way through the season because they thought they might not get paid.

He didn't come over to the NHL until just recently even though he most certainly could have made more money and been successful here.

For some guys it really isn't about the money, and I believe he's one of those guys. You are more than welcome to disagree, but I think he signs a Cap-friendly extension with the B's that's nowhere near $5m and probably closer to $3m.

For all agents it is though:laugh:

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Breaking news: behind the B camera crew sent over to film Chiarelli working the phone and Charlie Jacobs cut lunch short to sit on Chia's office couch and ask Chia as he looks down at lap top 'where is that f in Silfverberg go '

A Healthy Kelly*

love dsp. seen a lot of silfverberg, not a huge fan, think he's overrated.

also lol @ anyone who wants to move seidenberg

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
I would personally rather see Boychuk walk next summer. Even without our right side solidified, I think we're a cup contender with both Seidenberg, and Boychuk healthy. Along with Chara and an improving Hamilton.

I'm not convinced that if we were to move Boychuk, any of our young d would be able to move in and fill the void while still keeping us a contender.

Pretty much sums up how I feel.

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
Is Spooner isn't going to work here and we need to move a D: I'd rather see Spoons and Bart packaged for something like Kyle Palmieri.

Joe makes some great counterpoints but I think we're inviting trouble if we move Boychuk. It also means we have 4 lefties and 2 righties and while Dennis can be flipped over to right side... I don't know, I just don't see it.

Great to see many of you posting again.

BoyntBergie

Mar 9, 2004
As have I. I'm going by others' scouting reports when they say they see something second-line in him. Thing is though? I haven't seen enough to come up with an analysis I'd trust.

Same here across the board. Limited viewings, and near impossible to accurately gauge young players that way.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
breaking news: Behind the b camera crew sent over to film chiarelli working the phone and charlie jacobs cut lunch short to sit on chia's office couch and ask chia as he looks down at lap top 'where is that f in silfverberg go '

lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad