Prospect Info: Jayden Struble Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite
Marinaro and Engles said on his podcast last night that they talked to Struble yesterday, as it seems the media were at player workouts. Struble said he loves Montreal and never wants to get traded. Said that's the hard part of the buisiness, was hard to see Harris and Kovacevic traded. Said all the good young D coming into the organization motivates him more to make his place.

If Struble is our 7th D we are in very good shape

Reactions: ChesterNimitz

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
If those guys all reach their potential (And Mailloux, and Barron, etc) we won't be able to pay them all the big bucks.

I could see a guy like Struble being a good option as a "cheap" 5th dman while Matheson and/or Guhle get traded at some point for cap management reasons.

Hutson and Xhekaj both have great potential, but both have to prove they can overcome their respective weaknesses. Xhekaj could probably play on the right side if he's kept for his physicality.

Yes. Salary cap considerations could make Struble a good low cost option for the bottom pair. But Guhle and Reinbscher are the types that could be elite or at least really good at what they do, without getting a big contract, because they don't put up big offensive numbers. I do think both Hutson and Matheson get big money deal long term, and we'll only be able to keep one.

But it's hard to predict salary long term for Matheson, Hutson, Reinbacher, Mailloux, and Xhekaj. So Struble could find a niche as a low cost bottom pair guy.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Well said.

As I have posted, the overall mobility of our defence made us competitive last year. The loss of Harris, who was really underrated here, will adversely affect our defence's overall mobility edge. Hopefully the host of young defencemen that we are all counting on, can more than compensate for that loss.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
In a lot of ways, Struble is a better regular option than both Arber and Barron. He just doesn't have that little extra on top element ( size and mean streak for the former, ability to generate some offense and right hand shot for the latter) that the other two have. He's not even bad at those aspects, just not above average. I certainly like him a lot more as a Dman than Barron, that's for sure.

Reactions: Eegs

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
He’s behind Matheson, Guhle, Xjekaj as it is on one of the worse teams in the nhl so not sure if that’s telling or not. Hutson, Engstrom incoming… I think it’s too soon know everyone’s potential they’re still all so young. I like Struble.

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite
The 3 young men we have coming in Reinbacher, Mailloux & Hutson have displayed the ability to work on and minimize the weaknesses in their game…..add to that they now have experience Vs semi pro competition and in Hutson’s case Vs mature physical hockey players, in other words these guys aren’t coming in straight from jr.
I watched Mailloux more than the other two and these old eyes watched that young man get better & better game by game. These guys will force management to make a move sooner rather than later, I’m certain of it. Cheers.

ps Struble & Harris like Hutson came up in the NCAA. While I like Harris, Struble’s versatility and innate qualities led me to believe he was the one to keep.

Reactions: Paddyjack

Habs7631

Feb 28, 2017
I do think both Hutson and Matheson get big money deal long term, and we'll only be able to keep one.

But it's hard to predict salary long term for Matheson, Hutson, Reinbacher, Mailloux, and Xhekaj. So Struble could find a niche as a low cost bottom pair guy.

Actually it’s very easy to predict a salary long term for Matheson.

It’s 0$ per year for 0 years. 0M/0Y.

Dude won’t be here at the end of his contract in 2 years. Our best trade chip that we can afford to trade. Either this upcoming TDL or the next one.

Last edited:

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Maybe. But if the Canadiens are in a playoff race, or make the playoffs next year, Hughes will not be moving this cost effective core player unless the return is substantial.
Off course. But at some point, they will have to choose between him and Hutson and we all know who it will be. And they won't let him go for nothing off course.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Actually it’s very easy to predict a salary long term for Matheson.

It’s 0$ per year for 0 years. 0M/0Y.

Dude won’t be here at the end of his contract in 2 years. Our best trade chip that we can afford to trade. Either this upcoming TDL or the next one.
We'll see how Hughes sees things...

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Off course. But at some point, they will have to choose between him and Hutson and we all know who it will be. And they won't let him go for nothing off course.

The choice won't be between Hutson and Matheson. One of Guhle or Matheson will be playing their offside, so there is an LD spot in the top 4 for Hutson. The choice will be between keeping Matheson or Struble/Barron.

After this season, Hutson, Reinbacher, and Mailloux are probably all on the roster.
I don't think they will want one of Struble/Barron as 8D since its a bit of waste of asset, so if they keep Matheson for his last year, they will probably trade one of them.

Guhle - Matheson
Hutson - Reinbacher
Xhekaj - Mailloux
Struble/Barron

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
We'll see how Hughes sees things...
Marty will have a huge say in what happens he'll go with the player(s) he feels can implement his vision most effectively.
Our main problem these past couple of seasons was not having enough players who could actually play that instinctive game.
One of the things that stands out about all our recent draft choices is IQ it's close to if not at the very top of the list of requirements.

Last edited:

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
In a lot of ways, Struble is a better regular option than both Arber and Barron. He just doesn't have that little extra on top element ( size and mean streak for the former, ability to generate some offense and right hand shot for the latter) that the other two have. He's not even bad at those aspects, just not above average. I certainly like him a lot more as a Dman than Barron, that's for sure.
The mean streak may come when he realizes how strong he is. I agree with the sentiment of this post though.

Struble looked insanely comfortable when he first came up. I thought he had legitimately stolen a spot for the foreseeable future. But then he fell victim to "rookie-getting-too-comfortable-itis" and regressed a bit.

Hopefully an internal competition for the bottom 3 spots lights a fire under him.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
The mean streak may come when he realizes how strong he is. I agree with the sentiment of this post though.

Struble looked insanely comfortable when he first came up. I thought he had legitimately stolen a spot for the foreseeable future. But then he fell victim to "rookie-getting-too-comfortable-itis" and regressed a bit.

Hopefully an internal competition for the bottom 3 spots lights a fire under him.
His hiccups started when they upped his ice time and moved him to the second pair.
The wear and tear definitely played into it.
Both he and Arber have shown an ability to play on the proper side of the fence on a third pairing.
The question is can either of them play a consistent second pairing while still staying on the positive side.
My guess is yes.

Reactions: morhilane

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Marty will have a huge say in what happens he'll go with the player(s) he feels can implement his vision most effectively.
Our main problem these past couple of seasons was not having enough players who could actually play that instinctive game.
One of the things that stands out about all our recent draft choices is IQ it's close to if not at the very top of the list of requirements.

For sure Josh Anderson is not a fit. Hughes is trying everything to move him, I bet. And MSL gave him chance after chance. Will be interesting to see if MSL gives him yet another chance at the start of this season. I personally have him starting on the fourth line.

MSL was trying to turn Anderson into a player with more IQ. It seems he's best when he just goes full speed ahead. But Anderson did have a lot of chances last year that he missed? How can he evolve to where he can finish a higher percentage of them?

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
His hiccups started when they upped his ice time and moved him to the second pair.
The wear and tear definitely played into it.
Both he and Arber have shown an ability to play on the proper side of the fence on a third pairing.
The question is can either of them play a consistent second pairing while still staying on the positive side.
My guess is yes.
Struble longest season in the last 6 years has been 40 games (31 in the NCAA, 9 in the AHL), before that it was 34.

When they upped his ice time last year (and opposition), he had 13 AHL and ~18 NHL games played (31 games). It took about another 10 ish games before he started to show the fatigue effect. They don't call it the NHL grind for nothing. NCAA players often hit that wall. Anaheim idea of skipping games for Carlsson last year is actually not that stupid for players used to way shorter seasons.

Struble should be better prepared this year and looks like he trained hard in the off-season (90 minutes on the ice every day this summer, stayed in Montréal too).

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Struble longest season in the last 6 years has been 40 games (31 in the NCAA, 9 in the AHL), before that it was 34.

When they upped his ice time last year (and opposition), he had 13 AHL and ~18 NHL games played (31 games). It took about another 10 ish games before he started to show the fatigue effect. They don't call it the NHL grind for nothing. NCAA players often hit that wall. Anaheim idea of skipping games for Carlsson last year is actually not that stupid for players used to way shorter seasons.

Struble should be better prepared this year and looks like he trained hard in the off-season (90 minutes on the ice every day this summer, stayed in Montréal too).
Based on how well he played when called up and his determination to succeed he should be a huge fan favorite. Expect some punishing hits. It wouldn't surprise me if he worked on fighting techniques this past off season.

Reactions: morhilane

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad