Value of: Jason Zucker

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

WesMantooth

Jan 7, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
Zuck isn’t a bad player. He’s a 0.5ppg middle-6 player who had a great contract year which led to his $5.5AAV. He’s a UFA after next season and he’s never been bad for PIT, just never found a rhythm here.

If the Pens have any chance of keeping Rust, E-Rod and Kap, Zuck has to go.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Zucker probably only can be moved in a money for money swap right now. Maybe someone can take him as a reclamation project for cheap in the off-season, since he only has 1 more year after this year, but I'm not sure how easy of a sell that would be.

Zucker's issue is that he's like a $3.5 million player that makes $5.5 million. As a rental, that's probably not an issue, but that with term would be a hard sell.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Would you guys trade him for Gallagher? Gally is still good and his contract is fair now, but it will age poorly IMO. I think his remaining quality years will line up with the remaining quality years for the Pens core though, then the Pens will probably have to rebuild post Crosby/Malkin/Letang and his last 2 or 3 years won't matter. Montreal is in the opposite position where his remaining good years will likely be wasted then he'll be a cap burden when we will hopefully be getting good again.

We would eat Zucker's deal and probably flip with retention next year, then give his spot to a young guy.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Would you guys trade him for Gallagher? Gally is still good and his contract is fair now, but it will age poorly IMO. I think his remaining quality years will line up with the remaining quality years for the Pens core though, then the Pens will probably have to rebuild post Crosby/Malkin/Letang and his last 2 or 3 years won't matter. Montreal is in the opposite position where his remaining good years will likely be wasted then he'll be a cap burden when we will hopefully be getting good again.

We would eat Zucker's deal and probably flip with retention next year, then give his spot to a young guy.

Yes, I would.

Agree with the rationale.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think part of Zucker's problem is that he is playing away from his family, and it's eating him up. I'm kind of surprised that he hasn't been better in PIT, TBH. He seems to do the right things, but he just doesn't produce. It's almost like Mike yeo finally got his wish, and turned Zucker into a faceless bottom six grinder.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
I think part of Zucker's problem is that he is playing away from his family, and it's eating him up. I'm kind of surprised that he hasn't been better in PIT, TBH. He seems to do the right things, but he just doesn't produce. It's almost like Mike yeo finally got his wish, and turned Zucker into a faceless bottom six grinder.

Zuckers problem is the Penguins system. He's working hard every shift but isn't going to the right spots to get open, he isn't helping his center with opening options. He's playing a low risk game to avoid any mistakes. Given his interviews about last season, he knows he's been playing poorly and doesn't want that to reflect on the team.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

I wouldn’t. I honestly don’t see where Gallagher fits.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan

Yes, I would.

Agree with the rationale.

I wouldn’t. I honestly don’t see where Gallagher fits.

I wouldn't either.

The biggest thing is Pittsburgh doesn't have the cap space available to take on Gallagher.

Rust and Erod need raises. If we dont have any plans on re signing Rust then I may consider this.

I'd rather trade Zucker and take a lower cap hit but possibly worse player back.

Need to free up room.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If we're talking Zucker to the Habs, I'd want to do something around Zucker for Lehkonen, not Zucker for Gallagher. The main benefit for trading Zucker would be to clear his cap space this off-season to be able to retain Rodrigues.

Kristopher Letang

RIP Nipsey
Mar 7, 2013
Montréal, QC
I watched "In The Room". Zucker’s family seems to be living in Pittsburgh with him. I’m not sure where you got this from.

Reactions: Puck You Too

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
If we're talking Zucker to the Habs, I'd want to do something around Zucker for Lehkonen, not Zucker for Gallagher. The main benefit for trading Zucker would be to clear his cap space this off-season to be able to retain Rodrigues.

The appeal in Zucker for Gallagher for us wasn't acquiring Zucker, it was not having to worry about the end of Gallagher's contract. No reason to trade a solid 3rd liner for a guy who can't live up to his contract with Crosby/Malkin and hope he earns it playing with Jake Evans.

We already have Toffoli, Gallagher, Anderson, Caufield, Drouin, and Hoffman as our top 9 wingers. Only way it works is if we've already moved multiple guys and you give us a nice pick.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The appeal in Zucker for Gallagher for us wasn't acquiring Zucker, it was not having to worry about the end of Gallagher's contract. No reason to trade a solid 3rd liner for a guy who can't live up to his contract with Crosby/Malkin and hope he earns it playing with Jake Evans.

We already have Toffoli, Gallagher, Anderson, Caufield, Drouin, and Hoffman as our top 9 wingers. Only way it works is if we've already moved multiple guys and you give us a nice pick.

I mean that's the same reason the Penguins wouldn't do that.

Like I said, the main benefit for trading Zucker is to open up the cap space needed to retain guys like Rust, Kapanen, Rodrigues and Heinen. Trading Zucker for Gallagher makes them lose cap space and gives them a contract that will likely be a catastrophe in 3 years.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I watched "In The Room". Zucker’s family seems to be living in Pittsburgh with him. I’m not sure where you got this from.
Are you sure they are not just visiting? Because Zucker's wife shares custody of her kids with an ex, who lived in MN, last I heard. Maybe the kids are ferried back and forth between PA and MN, but that can't be good for them.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
I mean that's the same reason the Penguins wouldn't do that.

Like I said, the main benefit for trading Zucker is to open up the cap space needed to retain guys like Rust, Kapanen, Rodrigues and Heinen. Trading Zucker for Gallagher makes them lose cap space and gives them a contract that will likely be a catastrophe in 3 years.

I've already explained my reasoning. Gallagher is a clear upgrade on Zucker for only 1M more and by the time his contract is bad the Pens will be rebuilding anyway. If you think the money is better spent elsewhere that's completely fair. If you think the Pens will never need to rebuild and will still be competing in another 4 years I think you will be disappointed.

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
Are you sure they are not just visiting? Because Zucker's wife shares custody of her kids with an ex, who lived in MN, last I heard. Maybe the kids are ferried back and forth between PA and MN, but that can't be good for them.

i think you got that mixed up, i believe jason has a kid or two with an ex wife/gf from here. Carly lives in MN still i think, as shes on kfan quite often.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
i think you got that mixed up, i believe jason has a kid or two with an ex wife from here. Carly lives in MN still i think, as shes on kfan quite often.
Nope, they are Carly's kids from another marriage. I was responding to a poster who stated that he has his family living with him in PIT, and I was saying that there are compelling reasons for that not to be happening. I wasn't sure if she was still on KFAN(though that can always be done remotely from PIT), and if things had changed. My point is that not being able to live with your family for long periods of time can sap the morale, and that i thought it was the position he was in.

Reactions: GuerinUp

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Why would Habs trade the better, younger, cheaper player?

Unless Pens attach a 1st to Zucker? Cause Lehkhonen could be dealt at the TDL for a 2nd / late 1st easilly

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Why would Habs trade the better, younger, cheaper player?

Unless Pens attach a 1st to Zucker? Cause Lehkhonen could be dealt at the TDL for a 2nd / late 1st easilly

Lol no he wouldn't.

Lehkonen has 24 points in his last 78 games, and he has hit 30 points once in his career. How is he better than Zucker? What team would pay that kind of price for him?

It doesn't seem like there's a market here. OK player who is overpaid, not producing, with term remaining. That's not an appealing combination.

Yeah you're spot on, which is why the only way I can see him being moved is a money in, money out swap.

Maybe the Penguins could do Zucker for a rental, but they likely can't do Zucker without any money coming back. At least not right now.

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
Nope, they are Carly's kids from another marriage. I was responding to a poster who stated that he has his family living with him in PIT, and I was saying that there are compelling reasons for that not to be happening. I wasn't sure if she was still on KFAN(though that can always be done remotely from PIT), and if things had changed. My point is that not being able to live with your family for long periods of time can sap the morale, and that i thought it was the position he was in.

ahhh for some reason i had thought they were his. But yes shes in the studio weekly at kfan typically. and i agree not being with your family can be tough, but thats the case with most nhl players (away games/ players from outside the country)

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Lol no he wouldn't.

Lehkonen has 24 points in his last 78 games, and he has hit 30 points once in his career. How is he better than Zucker? What team would pay that kind of price for him?

Yeah you're spot on, which is why the only way I can see him being moved is a money in, money out swap.

Maybe the Penguins could do Zucker for a rental, but they likely can't do Zucker without any money coming back. At least not right now.
Lehkhonen's a great PKer with great speed and strong on the forecheck.

Zucker isn't a top6 player, and is terrible defensivelly, which makes hom a 5.5M$ waste of money as he can't play on your top6, and can't shutdown the other team top line

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Lehkhonen's a great PKer with great speed and strong on the forecheck.

Zucker isn't a top6 player, and is terrible defensivelly, which makes hom a 5.5M$ waste of money as he can't play on your top6, and can't shutdown the other team top line

Sounds like you don't know what you're talking about.

But yes, your sub-30 point player can definitely bring back a 1st round pick. Definitely no bias there.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Zucker is a 20-20 middle-6 winger that brings speed and physicality, he has just completely lost his hands and goal scoring touch from when he was younger. He's generating a ton of chances himself, he's just not producing whatsoever:

He's a $3.5 million player that is paid $5.5 million. He's not a bad player whatsoever, and trying to paint him as that is objectively false.

He has actually aged in a similar manner to another former Penguins player, Chris Kunitz. In about 2015 or 2016, Kunitz seemingly lost his hands completely and went from a consistent 60+ point guy to a 40 point guy at best. His hands were completely shot and he slowed down a bit, but he was still causing havoc with his physicality and was still a pretty useful player for about 4 years after he started falling off. The big difference is that this happened to Kunitz when he was 35 while Zucker had this happen when he was 29, so there is a huge age difference there, but Zucker is and will still be an effective player for the next few years at minimum. He's just not worth what he's paid anymore, which is why his value is effectively nothing right now.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Zucker is a 20-20 middle-6 winger that brings speed and physicality, he has just completely lost his hands and goal scoring touch from when he was younger. He's generating a ton of chances himself, he's just not producing whatsoever:

He's a $3.5 million player that is paid $5.5 million. He's not a bad player whatsoever, and trying to paint him as that is objectively false.

He has actually aged in a similar manner to another former Penguins player, Chris Kunitz. In about 2015 or 2016, Kunitz seemingly lost his hands completely and went from a consistent 60+ point guy to a 40 point guy at best. His hands were completely shot and he slowed down a bit, but he was still causing havoc with his physicality and was still a pretty useful player for about 4 years after he started falling off. The big difference is that this happened to Kunitz when he was 35 while Zucker had this happen when he was 29, so there is a huge age difference there, but Zucker is and will still be an effective player for the next few years at minimum. He's just not worth what he's paid anymore, which is why his value is effectively nothing right now.

Zucker's an offensive blackhole who's at best a 2.5M$ player paid 5.5 for another 2 years.

No one is touching that contract unless a good pick or prospect is attached to him. Period.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad